• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone good with old radios?

I need help. I read up on restoring old radios and it looks like I need to replace the capacitors in the power supply. So I pull out the schematic for the power supply and it looks easy enough. Only my power supply is not the factory one. It looks like a homebuilt job and I have no schematic for it. It seems way more complicated than it needs to be. Anyone in the So ME/ NH or Northern MA that can take a look at it?

Pictures would help.
If the capacitors aren't too old they may be OK after a gentle bring-up (re-forming the dielectric). If you have a Variac you slowly increase the input voltage from zero to 120VAC over several hours or days. If you apply the full 120VAC right away something will probably go KB.

dual 50 micro farad capacitor? about the size of a D cell battery with 3 wires ?

I know a guy who is crazy good with them. PM with details if you would like to send it to be repaired

Sent from my Motorola Photon Torpedo using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom