• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone ever have a .22 blow up

Out of battery on 22lr not that uncommon. It's pretty fun though if the magazine explodes and blows out the bottom of the rifle or sometimes it just blows the floor plate off and the guts come out LOL.....

The most common cause is a failure to chamber the round completely due to having a dirty chamber. The bullet jams in the fouling leaving a bit of case exposed. An OBD is relatively rare in a 10/22 because of the design of the bolt with the firing pin at the top. If the bolt is too far back, the hammer hangs up on the bottom corner of the bolt and can't reach the firing pin. Other 22s, such as the Marlin and S&W, have their firing pins at the bottom of the bolt and they can kaboom more easily.

def OOB. gotta clean your chamber more often. if it gets bad enough to OOB fire then you probably need to detail strip and sonic clean. you probably also got schmoo in the firing pin channel, on the extractor, and in the sear/hammer assy.

Yup in an old semi auto pistol.
The whole back of the casing blew out.
Had to dig some small pieces of copper out of the side of the hand .
No damage to the pistol , just had to pry out the case body from the chamber.
Cheap Cunuck ammo.

Out of battery. I've had it happen in 22/AR15's a few times. It doesn't blow out a mag in ar15's though.

Only 22 that blew up on me, was a .22 zip gun made up of a 1950's auto radio antenna and some wood, a door bolt and hockey shin guard rubber bands for sending the bolt home. It was a wobbly fit for the cartridge, but it worked pretty good.........until...BOOM! no injury though. If you are not old, you won't know what I mean about the rubber bands.....Hey, I was 14 yrs old...

I've had it happen with some cheap Aguilla ammo, the brass was extremely thin walled, so thin that the firing pin was punching through it causing blowouts at the case head.
After getting burned by a few of these in a revolver, I used up the rest of the ammo in a bolt action rifle.

Back
Top Bottom