Anyone ever get a really, really short "delay" response on NICS?

I was at Eric Manna Distributing today checking out their going out of business sale (they've got a lot there still, BTW, check it out)

I decided to pick up a Type 53 (Chinese M44) that was a little worn and beat up, but he discounted it from $130 to $30 for me, so that sort of clinched it. On the NICS check, apparently he got an initial "delay" response, but within the same call (under 5 minutes) he then got permission to proceed. I just thought it was sorta weird (I just moved, maybe that's part of it?).

Any ideas?

From someone that does them reguarly that is fairly common. Its usually when the system is very busy or slow. They bump it to a second level operator and if it takes too long for them it will get a real delay.

Ah, thanks.

I'm sorta wondering why I got delayed in the first place. My name is fairly common, but I also usually give the SSN.

Ah, thanks.

I'm sorta wondering why I got delayed in the first place. My name is fairly common, but I also usually give the SSN.

because it could have just been slow, like the posts above said. Its over wired connection, it wont be flawless everytime....

I mean a "delay" response instead of "proceed" or "denied", not the actual delay in time. I think snowjoker got that part.

I was talking to a guy at a shop (yes, groan, I know) but he reported exactly the same thing and according to him there was no apparent reason. He said it (the hold) was lifted within the hour.

They saw you were a military surplus collecting sick SOB!
Black helos are circling your place now and its all because you bought a destructive device/bayonet model rifle in the form of that Yugo SKS you posted pics of since you moved away from Boston.[shocked]

FWIW, I'd like to check out the Chinese 53 Mosin.[wink]

It's in pretty sorry state. The trigger spring is either very weak or missing (I haven't gotten a chance to take it apart yet), but no overt corrosion, pitting etc. Just generalized wear, 0 finish on the wood, but a great deal for $30. Bayonet's missing, too, but those can be had cheap.

Do you have any gauges for 7.62x54? I'm thinking of bringing it to the next shoot.

Last edited:
He does, they're all the long barreled bipoded variety, though. Located in New Ipswich, NH, check out the thread in the Gun Shops forum

It's in pretty sorry state. The trigger spring is either very weak or missing (I haven't gotten a chance to take it apart yet), but no overt corrosion, pitting etc. Just generalized wear, 0 finish on the wood, but a great deal for $30. Bayonet's missing, too, but those can be had cheap.

Do you have any gauges for 7.62x54? I'm thinking of bringing it to the next shoot.

Sounds like an Omega import.
Chinese Mosins are notorious for having some of the smoothest triggers of any carbine length Mosin. Could be much gunk in there that makes it feel like its floating instead of making contact at all.
There were a few posts on Gunboards regarding Chinese carbine slings for these rifles. You know me... I'd be searching for a correct sling even if the rifle was in pieces.[smile]

It has the lightest trigger of any I've ever seen, and it doesn't return. I'll have to take a look. Pics later.

Back
Top Bottom