• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone ever duracoat/cerakote a glock frame?

AllaSnackbah

NES Member
Im interested in either duracoating, or cerakoting the frame on my G17. I would like it to match glock's OD (flat dark earth) color as much as possible and it is important that the coating not change the texture of the grip.

Has anyone ever done this before?

Thanks

Forget it. The coatings you are referring to are applied to metal. I would leave well enough alone.

This is my G26 i cerakoted in magpul fde. Obviously it can be applied to plastics and polymers, anyone that says it can't doesn't know what they are talking about.

I haven't done mine, but when I was at 1776 gunsmith last week they showed me a few they did, and they look pretty nice. Even did one in digital camo.

I asked a certified ceracoat shop and they said yes you can coat any non porous surface, but it it can not be baked( ie plastic) then it does not have the same durability as when applied to metals. He specifically mentioned that glock frames can flake

i el cheapo shake n spray duracoated my M1A stock and it has been fine, i beat the piss out of it too.

I have also read that you can bake a glock frame, just not as hot as metals obviously.

I asked a certified ceracoat shop and they said yes you can coat any non porous surface, but it it can not be baked( ie plastic) then it does not have the same durability as when applied to metals. He specifically mentioned that glock frames can flake

dropride, can you confirm that the info bsalie was given is BS?

I've duracoated a ton of shit. I've done multiple firearms, knives, etc. it will hold up on a Glock just fine. I prefer it to cerakote for a few reasons.

it will adhere to itself, so you can spray over it again or apply multiple coats.
you don't have to sandblast the part to be painted
you don't have to sandblast to remove it if you don't like it
no baking is required
its pretty tough

ive got a makeshift spray booth in my basement. I bought an air brush I use to apply it, hooked up to a pancake compressor with 2 regulators and a moisture separator. It does a mint job.

I just read an article in Combat Tactics magazine 10 min ago. It turns out that there are 2 different formulas of Cerakote, one that needs to be baked at High temp and one that can be air dried or low temp cured, The company that said it can flake only does the high temp, so that makes more sense. the article specifically mentions that Glock frames take the air cured coating wel if heated to 150 deg as it opens the plastics pores
They also say that the low temp is not as strong as the high temp and that the high temp does need cleaning and blasting before app. They go on to say that the high temp esp is NOT and DIY job due to the difficulties in app and curing

I've Duracoated synthetic stocks with the single can, single use, Duracoat. It works great, is easy, and holds up very well. I imagine it would work well on Glock frames as others have said. It's a good option if you don't have an airbrush.

I prefer Cerakote, I like the finish better than Duracoats. We cerakoted about 30 guns last month many of them plastic, if you have any questions give us a call. Preparation is key when cerakoting plastics. Thanks - Don

This is my G26 i cerakoted in magpul fde. Obviously it can be applied to plastics and polymers, anyone that says it can't doesn't know what they are talking about.

What he says.

Had my G23frame done in fde by Lou ay BEC and it came out great. Would definitely do it again.

Back
Top Bottom