• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone ever blaze trees to mark off a boundary?

Flagging tape is a pretty temporary solution. It might last a season but degrades quickly in sunlight. Painted blazes will usually last for several years and is why its used extensively in the Maine woods and other places. Property owners don't want to be doing it time and again so they use what has proven itself for generations.

Lots of hunters flag their paths to a hunting spot in summer only to return a few months later, usually in the dark to find many of their tapes missing from blowing winds and sunlight degraded plastic.
There is still remnants of flagging tape on my property when we first walked it 25 years ago. I go around periodically to red-flag it also.

Probably the same paint as in the oil paintballs from Nelson. We use this. Very thick and lasts. The spray paint we tried lasted about 2 years and faded. The flagging tape I have tried decomposes after a couple of years.

My 81 year old dad walks the old family farm which is 200 acres cut into five 40 acre lots. When it was surveyed many years ago, the lines were wide enough to see long distances. He clears any blown down trees and re-marks the old red blaze marks. They were originally painted by brush and a can, but I don't know what he uses now. I would use a high quality spray can because it's easy to pack and much quicker

Why not just freshen up the old marks ?

The old marks had the bark grow over them and cover up the paint. Forester recommends making new cuts immediately above or below the old ones. I'm also wondering if old cuts could just be recut but I havent tried that yet... It might be tougher than undamaged bark?

The old marks had the bark grow over them and cover up the paint. Forester recommends making new cuts immediately above or below the old ones. I'm also wondering if old cuts could just be recut but I havent tried that yet... It might be tougher than undamaged bark?
The scar is likely harder than fresh bark. It sometimes depends on the tree species

Back
Top Bottom