Anyone Else think this is a bit f'd up?

peterk123

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Article in the Worcester Telegram:

Marijuana retailers and product manufacturers will be able to apply for licenses beginning June 1, according to the commission. Licenses cannot be issued until June 1 and legal sales of adult-use marijuana are not scheduled to begin until July 1.

The Cannabis Control Commission gives priority status to those eligible to be designated as economic empowerment applicants, a designation that is intended to support licensees from communities and areas disproportionately impacted by high rates of arrest, conviction, and incarceration related to marijuana crimes.

Am I reading this wrong or is this totally flawed thinking. So basically, let's set up a retail drug shop in the areas where we have problems with drugs. I get it, as a business model it is a fantastic idea. But morally, not so sure.

Then there is this:

Mr. Bradshaw said his company’s application received priority certification because his family is from one of the communities in Worcester most harmed by Massachusetts’ marijuana prohibition.

He added that his company has committed its future business to focusing on Worcester’s communities of color and ensuring they receive economic benefits from the new adult-use marijuana industry.

I have to be mis-interpreting this.

Last edited:

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
He added that his company has committed its future business to focusing on Worcester’s communities of color and ensuring they receive economic benefits from the new adult-use marijuana industry.
yeti should hire this guy. here's a man who does his homework!

mothybee

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ever hear of affirmative action? All about the money, licenses will go to(wink, wink) relative/in-laws of state reps anyways. Welcome to the plantation of Ma.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At some point the Govt will be mailing 50% of the population their voter registration card with an ounce of the latest strain stapled to it.

Billsail

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Am I reading this wrong or is this totally flawed think. So basically, let's sell up a retail drug shop in the areas where we have problems with drugs. I get it, as a business model it is a fantastic idea. But morally, not so sure.

I have to be mis-interpreting this.

The only way this makes sense is perhaps they think this model will put the squeeze on street dealers, and force them out?

Or as mothybee says: revenue generation.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing of the sort, the prices are so high(pun intended) at any shop it almost guarantees the street dealer has better prices. For example as I have said here I get those cartridge distillates as well as the bud itself for almost half the price as any shop...maybe that will change but hasn't yet.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it is obviously an attempt to bring SOME type of jobs to a geographic area where business do not go. A grow job....can be good steady employment....and the laws for pot growing already require the facility to be built like an armored brick shithouse....so it could work out.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing of the sort, the prices are so high(pun intended) at any shop it almost guarantees the street dealer has better prices. For example as I have said here I get those cartridge distillates as well as the bud itself for almost half the price as any shop...maybe that will change but hasn't yet.
I think it will all depend on the level of regulation going down the road. I know people in Maine who have pounds more than they'll use and are just giving it away.

Woodstock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
The street dealers don't have to worry. They can just transition into robbing the sheep coming into the hood with rolls of cash they were hoping to spend at the weed shops

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the street dealers are all pushing heroin and fentanyl.
It will be interesting to see what actually happens when legal pot hits the MA streets. I mean, if you can buy from a legal clean shop in a nice part of town, or some ghetto hell hole with drug dealers.....will a few bucks cheaper from the drug dealers really sway your purchase?

I am wondering if they will drop heroin prices to hook a lot of new users, to make up for the reduced pot sales?

Its good that Jeff Sessions is cracking down on heroin. I see a big bust went on in lawrence just this morning.

boiler_eng

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is obviously an attempt to bring SOME type of jobs to a geographic area where business do not go. A grow job....can be good steady employment....and the laws for pot growing already require the facility to be built like an armored brick shithouse....so it could work out.
As with anything, I assume the motivation at the politician level is all about optics and really nothing to do with actually helping anyone (except themselves). If it drives an honest business into a community area where it will drive consumer traffic and then more businesses then that is great. Though hopefully those are also other businesses beneficial to the community. I do wonder whether the pushing for it to be in "disproportionately impacted communities" is a backend way to get them put into areas where the well to do can get what they need then leave and talk about how they are happy the shop isn't in THEIR town because of XYZ bad elements.

Also, I know my FIL voted against pot in OH due to the impression that everything was already promised to go to connected big business interests, and that made it more of a protected racket than an opening in the free market. So I do hope that in MA the licenses go to a representative set of interested parties in the state rather than getting distributed in back room deals where the well to do get the licenses and the money just flows from low or average income consumers to well to do owners in a protected industry. (If some millionaire wants to open PotMart and gets tons of business, cool but I would also hope that average Joe can open a small pot shop and compete on his own merits.)

xtry51

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The core problem with the current state by state legalization is they, for the most part, regulate it so much they don't lower the market pricing. The solution to preventing a lot of drug related crime is to let the pricing come down to free market levels. The only way to do this is let people grow a f***ing plant without government involved.

The fastest way to crush gangs and cartels in the US would be to abolish the FDA completely. The free market will not let them survive becuase the prices would free fall supporting only efficient business models.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
The only way this makes sense is perhaps they think this model will put the squeeze on street dealers, and force them out?

Or as mothybee says: revenue generation.
Yeah. MJ street dealers. Always driving by shooting Big Macs at each other. Dorito bombs. The collateral damage is massive.

LoginName

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Local folks gonna be pissed when they find out that they can't buy weed with their EBT card.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will all depend on the level of regulation going down the road. I know people in Maine who have pounds more than they'll use and are just giving it away.
I respect your opinion but come on giving it away? No that has never happened you can still sell ounces for 200 minimum around here and ATG in Salem sells 3.5 oz for 47$ so I cant believe that for a second. Now I understand that moving forward users can possess up to 10oz in their home and grow 6 plants per adult up to 12 max, that's alot of weed so maybe some day that may happen but if they want to give some away I can be on the road in about ten mins. If only the Danish was still at the traffic circle I could stop for a happy ending on the way back.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wholesale in Oregon is now $700 a lb for organic light deprived greenhouse aeroponic. There's so much of it there you can't give the stuff away. I'm sure this is mostly because in Oregon all they have is open space and sunshine.

In RI there's an upper limit on what the caretakers can have on site at any given time. If you grow too much, you're not supposed to have it on hand or in your paperwork. Guess what happens to this extra product? It doesn't go in the trash, I'll tell you that.

Top Bottom