• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone else PO'd about Target Sports charging tax on memberships?

Every year, Target Sports charges Massachusetts sales tax on the ammo club membership (and clothing as well), even though they shouldn't be doing so. Last year, after a 5 or 6 round email chain, they finally took it off (I believe it was more to shut me up than to acknowledge they shouldn't be doing it), but it's back this year.

Discount memberships are one of those things that are purportedly non-taxable under the DoR rules, and normal clothing explicitly so. The problem with out-of-state companies is that they outsource the determination to 3rd parties who just track sales rates but not the exceptions.

Any thoughts? Sure, the tax is only $5 and change, but the flinking state gets more of my money as it is without these guys throwing more on the pile.

The DoR's take: Directive 92-7: Sales Tax on Membership Fees to Discount

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I can't get mad at them, ever, unless of course they stop shipping those heavy boxes of goodness to me.

I dunno, mon, wouldn't that be in the same class as ratting out Bass Pro for selling Glocks?
No, because their sales to MA are perfectly legal. They just refused to be intimidated by a mad-woman.

DOR would notify them that what they are doing is illegal and demand that they stop. Nobody is going to go to jail over it.

Many years ago I bought a US Flag at Wal-mart and they charged me sales tax. MA DOR TIR calls it out as non-taxable. Wal-mart refused to relent and DOR asked me to file a tax fraud complaint. I didn't but should have after their corporate legal department replied to me that US Flags were taxable if on a stick or with a pole.

Law Enforcement Supply did the same thing with the sale of a gun safe. I even showed them the MA DOR TIR and Walter Duddy refused to believe it.

They probably are just lazy and don't have some coding in their cart system for non taxable items.

$5 ? Are you one of those people living in a 3k sq ft house and driving an $80k suv ?
Hey, at $1 per Pew-Pew, it adds up !

And, no. 1,600sf and a 2005 Tacoma with 275,000 miles on it (ok, I have another as well, but this is the one that goes to the range),

Last edited:
The convenience of having the cheapest ammo shipped to my door in 2 days or less is worth the extra $5.

Really...........go out and find cheaper ammo than their 8% off prices.

Youll find that 5 dollars was burnt up in gas and what your time is worth in about 5 minutes or less.

Sometimes you gotta pick your battles. And for $5, I'd gladly allow a company to freely ship cases of ammo to my commiechusetts doorstep. The other option is to save your $5 and wait in line for 20 minutes at the deli ticket emporium.
This. Anything, no matter how that passes off the left and thier sheethead leaders like Mooorah H is worth it

Sometimes you gotta pick your battles. And for $5, I'd gladly allow a company to freely ship cases of ammo to my commiechusetts doorstep. The other option is to save your $5 and wait in line for 20 minutes at the deli ticket emporium.
The OP does have a point, his rant is because the State gets those $5.

Back
Top Bottom