• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone else own a Para Warthog?

Fooped

Resident HK Guru
Hey Everyone,

I have a Para Warthog that has a bit of an "eating disorder", no matter what type of ammo I use, it will not cycle any rounds with brass cases! I just had the pistol serviced by Para, wherein they replaced the entire slide, and polished the feedramp and loading assembly. They even adjusted the mag feed lips on both mags. Still, no dice.

Oddly enough, the gun cycles CCI Blazer (steel case) ammo no problem, and also Federal Hydra-Shok steel case JHP with no issues. Also, I've heard that the sub-compact .45acp guns should function better with "light" ammo (as opposed to 230 grain) I just heard this recently, so I have yet to purchase some lighter .45 to try out. Any thoughts on all this? I'd hate to think that a brand new gun of significant cost has some kind of "special diet"[rolleyes]

FWIW, Federal HST and the like uses a nickel plated brass case, it certainly
isn't steel.

Some of what your experiencing may have something to do with
slide velocity. Blazer seems to make the guns recoil a tad more
violently, as well as s premium grade carry ammo like Fed HST and
the like.

If the gun doesn't feed std 230 gr ball with a brass case,
something is definitely wrong with it though... thats just
bizarre. (usually with 1911 ish guns ball always works and
others may not work... not the other way around.... )

What exactly happens when you use brass ammo? Does the case get
hung up on -feeding- or on extraction? I'm guessing "feeding" from
the wording of your post.... nose up jam?

If all else fails the best deal is to have a good 1911 mechanic look
at it.

-Mike

I don't have these problems on the Para 6.45 LDA (tiny single stack) or 16.40 LDA (full size double stack) but I have had problems on both warthogs I've tried. Warthogs are not LDA, by the way.

I had a Warthog. It shot virtually any ball ammo. It was fussy about jhp's. I found that Rem. Golden Saber 185 gr. worked very well. It did not like 230 gr. and it really did not like +p's. I contacted Para and they were not helpful at all. I played with it until I found the right combo, but then ended up trading it. It functioned great with the right ammo.

um... I fired one at AFS and had no issues with it.... 230g, brass case fmj... 100 rounds with no problems at all... and this was one of their used retals.

CCI Blazers are made of an aluminum alloy I believe, not steel.

That's weird, because my LDA had no problem with any type of brass ammo. However, it hated Wolf brand steel-cased ammo to the point where the slide would lock up. (This was also a problem with every .45 the ammo was tried in except the Glock 21 and the SITES Spectre)

I would think the problem here would be one of just breaking the gun in.

Not good

I'm the "jam-o-matic" friend. I actually found it shot JHP better than ball ammo. I like you sent in to Para and had similar work done to find the firearm still had the same feed problems. Not to mention they scratched the hell out of the slide. In the end I traded a for a Springfield Armory.

If you needed 10 rounds and a 3 inch barrel JMB would have given it to you.
[smile]
7+1, Carbon Steel, 5 inch bushing barrel, dimpled follower in the magazine. It's the only way to go.
[popcorn]

Seriously though... those things are damn finicky. Try adding an EGW oversized firing pin stop, this might let you slow the slide down a little for better extraction. Then you will be able to use a lighter recoil spring for better feeding, a lighter spring puts less pressure on the timing of the magazine's presentation of the next round. Also, bump the mainspring up to 26 pounds it you can the slide a tad more resistance. Check to make sure the barrel is fitted correctly, factory smiths wouldn't know a correctly fitted barrel if it hit them over the head.

What type of failures are you getting? Extraction or feeding?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom