• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone else here only own one gun?

yanici

NES Member
Bet I can't find one.[wink]

Since I'm retired and have that "fixed income" syndrome, I decided to limit myself to one gun for personal protection. I got the easy to carry and hide S&W 642 no-lock revolver. Upgraded it with Crimson Trace grips, since I can't really see the open sights.

My 642 is a tool. I shoot my precision air rifles as a hobby. At less than 2 cents a shot it fits the pocketbook better. Even though I invested about $1700 in setting up the two air rifles, in the end, they will be less expensive to shoot and maintain. Also, they are still powerful enough to hunt small game and are very accurate.

I wish I had started shooting at a much younger age. It's good to see you guys and gals get so much enjoyment out of your sport.

Bet I can't find one.[wink]

Since I'm retired and have that "fixed income" syndrome, I decided to limit myself to one gun for personal protection. I got the easy to carry and hide S&W 642 no-lock revolver. Upgraded it with Crimson Trace grips, since I can't really see the open sights.

My 642 is a tool. I shoot my precision air rifles as a hobby. At less than 2 cents a shot it fits the pocketbook better. Even though I invested about $1700 in setting up the two air rifles, in the end, they will be less expensive to shoot and maintain. Also, they are still powerful enough to hunt small game and are very accurate.

I wish I had started shooting at a much younger age. It's good to see you guys and gals get so much enjoyment out of your sport.

Airsoft can hunt small game? I thought they were just little plastic pellets?
damn. Do you have pics of them?

:: raises hand ::

I had the money to buy a couple of decent guns, or one EBR. I bought a DPMS because I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to buy one.

Now that my g/f's income has become "unstable," I'm not sure when I'll be able to buy a carry gun. [sad] (Vicki's boss decided to force her to take her vacation time recently, then decided that she'd get 75% pay for that time. Also, we just found out that he has been deducting from her paycheck for her IRA but not depositing it or adding his 3% match.)

ETA:
There are airsoft guns that will put a 22gr plastic pellet through a steel can...right in one side and out the other. I would assume that they would be marginally acceptable for squirrel-sized animals. Air guns and airsoft aren't the same either, and there are definitely airguns out there that are acceptable for light duty hunting.

Last edited:
I usually only shoot one at a time, does that count? [grin]

I can appreciate your strategy with the air rifles. Ammo is more expensive after a few months than the guns! I shoot a lot of .22lr for this reason. Sounds like you don't go cheap when acquiring your tools, even if you are on a fixed income. Wise choices.

Welcome to the forum!

matt

Air rifle does not equal airsoft. There are some pretty kick ass air rifles out there.

The last time I owned only one gun was when I first got my FID. It was a Marlin .22 semiauto rifle with a scope. About a week later it was accompanied by an old Sears 12 guage pump.

The rest is history. [laugh]

unfortunately I only own one gun... I have only had my license for about 3 months though and I am still learning the little nuances of my M&P before I take the plunge for a new gun. The plan though is within the next 4 months to pick up a nice revolver maybe S&W model 60 or Ruger sp101, then on to an AR15 like the M&P15 sometime within the next year. So I may only have one right now, but I have the aspirations to acquire more. Does that count?

I don't have any pics of my Beeman R7 handy. That is an easy shooting German gun that wears a Bushnell Trophy 4-12X40 AO scope.

Here's a pic of my (Made in England)Theoben Evolution, .177 cal. wearing a Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12X40 adjustable objective scope. With the groundhog it got.
nfg0oi.jpg

Now that my g/f's income has become "unstable," I'm not sure when I'll be able to buy a carry gun. [sad] (Vicki's boss decided to force her to take her vacation time recently, then decided that she'd get 75% pay for that time. Also, we just found out that he has been deducting from her paycheck for her IRA but not depositing it or adding his 3% match.)

FYI the government takes a very dim view of employers that take employee's money for IRA's and such and don't deposit it properly. Your girlfriend has rights here and should not allow this to continue.

Check out this article:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,983838-1,00.html

Good luck,

Rich

I used to have just one gun.

I can't honestly say that (I think). My first time in the gunshop I bought two pistols (Ruger MKIII 22/45 and a Glock 17). Unless of course by finishing the paperwork for gun #1 means I own it before gun #2. I payed for both in the same transaction so I don't think that is true.

I've never had only one gun.... although I have to say I own a lot less than I used to due to a bunch of bills, etc, messing with my cash flow. [sad2]

Thankfully things are looking up, so I won't have to move any
more.... In hindsight, had I managed money better, I wouldn't have had to sell any of them...

-Mike

My thoughts exactly. Pretty sure what her boss is doing is called "stealing"
I'm aware, and thanks for the information RichC. She is someone who is content to go with the flow and not make waves, up until it becomes unbearable for her, so it will likely be me making the push for the money to be returned, and it will likely not be done until she has another job lined up.

It sucks worse because she has bent over backwards to meet all requests for increased workload. She was originally hired to run the tool the company is designing, but she has run a GC mass spectrometer, currently runs an AFM, designs and tests the optic systems, coded the control and UI programs, and has done the chemistry/research work to design and run the tests with the tool. She's gone 4 years w/o any raise whatsoever, worked ~2 nights/mo as late as 10PM, taken multiple trips (job said no travel), and during the coding portion, frequently worked straight through the weekend at home. She is literally irreplaceable to the company, and holds a large amount of stock in the company which was to be our very early (pre-35) possibility of full retirement when the company's IP is sold...and I've worked a stable job instead of going for some high-paying, high risk of layoff jobs in order to let her continue to make the low salary she's making. If they go under, if she leaves, or if I have to talk to her boss regarding this money, we've both lost out on quite a bit. [sad2] (Anyone know of an opening looking for a candidate w/ her type of skills?)

Back OT and to a more fun topic, though... Purchasing lists! [grin]
Her: Ruger 10/22, 12ga bird gun, AR in .223 and in .308 (or a Benelli R1 in .308), 12ga slug gun, Ruger MKII, something 1911-pattern or otherwise full-sized in 9mm (she refuses to carry a gun but will carry OC, and I respect the decision...see ^^^ re: her giving in to people w/o a fight)
Me: her whole list but w/ target barrels on the rifles [smile], plus a S&W .38/.357 snub, Para LDA, and a nice condition Garand

I also own a Pumpmaster 760, so I guess I own two...if you can count that as a gun. It's not particularly accurate nor particularly powerful, but it's enough to plink cans in the back yard.

I've been looking to get an air rifle myself. The cost per round is the main attraction.

I owned one gun for two days. Then the cash started leaping from my wallet.

I've been looking to get an air rifle myself. The cost per round is the main attraction.

I owned one gun for two days. Then the cash started leaping from my wallet.

If you are seriously looking into a good quality air rifle, you have to buy on the internet. Even KTP doesn't carry great product of his type. I recommend a dealer from Minn. that is knowledgeable, helpful, and priced right. Here is a link http://www.straightshooters.com/

It's a whole 'nuther world out there.

I wish I could come up with something "witty" to say here....

I guess the logical next question would be - if you have more that one, how many do you have?

No I can't handle one gun only, too much of a hobby and I love them too much[smile]
Plus, there are too many "niches" to fill... rifles, shotgun, skeet, handgun, target range PD etc.

I own only one gun.

I do have a japanese model 99 arisaka that i've had since I was a little kid but I wont count that yet because it is non functional (missing the firing pin, bolt disabled)

I plan on getting a new bolt for this gun, and adding an SKS and a 12 guage to the family in the very near future.

I am also on the hunt for a lower (but in no hurry)

I am about to purchase my first....and second, third, & fourth. [smile]

Seriously, when the LTC comes in (next few days I believe) I'm gonna be buying everything I need at once...everything I need at the moment, anyway.

BTW, damn those air rifles aren't cheap, either!

Back
Top Bottom