Anyone else have terrible luck with Tula primers

I had 2K Tula small rifle primers I used for cheap .223 blasting ammo. I would get about 1 failure to fire every mag or so. Today I went out to put a couple hundred rounds through the AR and I had at least 10% fail to fire, if not more. It was also in the teens or low 20s. Needless to say the savings weren't worth it. Anyone else have a terrible experience with Tula primers?

Mike

I've used Tula small rifle magnum primers for the past couple years in my AR's and have had very rare failures. Sounds like you got a bad batch.

YES!
Bought a box for a PPK, every mag had at least one round that wouldn't fire. The ones that would fire were kicking like a mule the recoil was much more than I've ever felt on this gun. The last mag only fired one round, now the gun is all ****ed up. Can't disassemble it and it won't chamber a round. I've had a ton of people look at it and no one has any idea what's wrong. One said they heard Tula has put out bad batches before that were "over primed?" Or more powerful than they should have been. I couldn't find any info on this claim. The gun is going back to Walther/S&W on Tuesday to be checked out and hopefully fixed.

YES!
Bought a box for a PPK, every mag had at least one round that wouldn't fire. The ones that would fire were kicking like a mule the recoil was much more than I've ever felt on this gun. The last mag only fired one round, now the gun is all ****ed up. Can't disassemble it and it won't chamber a round. I've had a ton of people look at it and no one has any idea what's wrong. One said they heard Tula has put out bad batches before that were "over primed?" Or more powerful than they should have been. I couldn't find any info on this claim. The gun is going back to Walther/S&W on Tuesday to be checked out and hopefully fixed.

Sounds like a primer might have fallen out its pocket and gummed the works up. This is consistent with over pressure loads. The bad news is that this problem is usually caused hot loads rather than a hot primer. I would carefully check the reloads. Sending the gun to S&W as is may not be the best idea. If they find out that reloads are the source of the problem, they may not honor the warrantee. I would try to dissassemble the pistol and diagnose the problem before sending it back.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I'm not reloading I'm talking about their ammo straight off the shelf....
Can't disassemble it, no one has been able to. Everyone is baffled.

They all have solid primer strikes. Its wierd as usually I have one to two ftfs per mag, I had about 10% suck today in the cold.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I've had nothing but good luck with Wolf small rifle primers. In fact, I prefer them over any other brand.

I talked to a guy in the industry (he's an engineer in the primer dept at Remington). He thinks Tula and Wolf are different primers. They might be made at the same place, but they're different primers.

I've used the Murom primers packaged as PMC LRB's and haven't had any failures to speak of. Maybe they don't have the hang of boxer primers nyet!

I use Wolf small rifle magnum for highpower competition. Low SDs and I've never had one fail in over a case and a half (about 8,000 primers so far.) Tula is supposedly the same primers made in the same plant, so I wouldn't hesitate to use them. (And I will once my stash of Wolf runs out.)

YES!

Are you that guy that was at Mystic a couple weeks ago?

I've used PMC (tula) primers in 9mm with lots of problems. The cups are too hard for striker fired pistols. The primers need to be seated deep. I reseated all the 9s I loaded with them and they became more reliable...except in striker fired guns (M&P9 and a Kel Tec P-11). Every striker fired misfire did fire on a second strike in a Beretta 92 or S&W 6906. I had half a dozen or so out of 4000 primers that were duds.

I had 2K Tula small rifle primers I used for cheap .223 blasting ammo. I would get about 1 failure to fire every mag or so. Today I went out to put a couple hundred rounds through the AR and I had at least 10% fail to fire, if not more. It was also in the teens or low 20s. Needless to say the savings weren't worth it. Anyone else have a terrible experience with Tula primers?

Mike

Look at it as realistic FTF Drills - you don't even need dummy rounds!

I had terrible luck with tula ammo 9mm in a glock 17 I returned 900 rds

ftf in abt 10 to 15%

YES!

I'm pretty sure it can't be done, but your experience sounds awfully like you ran some 9mm ammo through a 380.

My experience with Russian primers has left me with the attitude that they are reliable enough for practice only. The small pistol cups are hard enough to cause ignition problems with S&W M&Ps and my SIGs with custom triggers. No problems with hammer fired guns with stock hammer springs. Also my CZ Shadow with a Ghost trigger job (reduced power hammer spring) ignites them with no problems. Glocks will ignite these primers just like the CZ, no problems.

Large pistol primers have caused no problems with a stock M&P 45 and various 1911s (stock hammer springs). That's the good news. The bad news is that I have encountered more than a few large pistol primers with no anvils. Bad QC.

The reason I reserve these primers for practice only is that WW primers have worked flawlessly in all of the above pistols that have had "Russian" problems. The provenance of these primers is a mystery. Who makes them? Are Wolf and Tula the same? Who makes the PMC primers of obviously Russian origin? Identifying the MFRs might allow us to isolate a brand of primers that is the equal of WW.

I know you said they were factory loads, but of the 100 I've tried so far I had 1 Tula small rifle primer (one of their "special" .223 primers) that didn't have any anvils. Hopefully there weren't more that I missed. I wonder if more anvil-less primers are making into their ammo?

Rumor has it that Tula and Wolf are the exact same primer. They were packaged as "Wolf" for export, but now with "Tula" showing up over here, that will probably go away.

And for the record, I've used maybe 5000 Wolf SRM primers with not one problem.

Rumor has it that Tula and Wolf are the exact same primer. They were packaged as "Wolf" for export, but now with "Tula" showing up over here, that will probably go away.

And for the record, I've used maybe 5000 Wolf SRM primers with not one problem.

My anvil problems were with Wolf Large Pistol.

Yup I was with my Dad.
Yeah, that was a weird one. It will be interesting to find out what's wrong. I'm still betting on a broken or otherwise "out of whack" recoil spring, which certainly could have contributed to your function issues.

....I've used maybe 5000 Wolf SRM primers with not one problem.

Wolf SRMs are probably the worst kept secret in highpower. Seems like everyone is using them. I distributed 40,000 last year myself. (Primer group buy. I should have kept them all for myself.) [grin]

Just tossing in my experience, I'm reloading with Tula .223 primers (KVB223M). I've fired a few hundred so far with no issues, going out to the range tomorrow to shoot some more.

Just thought I'd update... my failure rate is back down to 1-2/100 in the warm weather. It seems like for whatever reason they just didn't like to ignite in the cold. Ill be using different primers going forward.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Good to know as wolf seems to have dropped off the face of the us as primers go. A few calls to vendors and they have no idea if or when wolf primers will come back...so its off to tula. Not the deal wolf was but still 10-14$ cheaper than anyone else. I will take the chance.

Copied from tulammo website

Dear Great TULAMMO USA Customer,

In connection with our ongoing promotion and support of TULAMMO products, we want to be sure that all of our customers are aware of the types of ammunition being supplied in the U.S. from the Tula and Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works in Russia. TULAMMO USA was formed for the sole purpose of distributing the TULAMMO brand of ammunition from these two factories. The Tula and Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works no longer support or produce any of the “Wolf” brands of ammunition. Please note that:

TULAMMO is not WOLF Performance Ammunition
TULAMMO is not WOLF Military Classic Ammunition
TULAMMO is not WOLF GOLD Ammunition
TULAMMO is not WPA (WOLF Performance Ammunition)
TULAMMO is not WPA (WOLF Performance Ammunition) Military Classic
TULAMMO is not Wolf Performance Primers

Our primary goal is to support the highest quality ammunition provided by these two factories under the TULAMMO brand. We expect nothing but the best during the performance of our ammunition products. To order TULAMMO products, and for any questions about TULAMMO, please contact us at 888-317-5810. We also can be reached via email at [email protected].

Thank you,

TULAMMO USA

Back
Top Bottom