• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone drop their carry piece before?

DJBrad

NES Member
Just got a DeSantis sticky for my Kahr CM9. I was getting into my car this morning for work holding too much. In one hand was my work bag and car keys and the other had the IPhone, wallet, and the Kahr in the DeSantis tilted too far backward. Out slides the Kahr from hip to concrete right under the car.....D*** it!

I know we’ve all had a mishap before maybe not like this and these mistakes serve as great reminders to be very careful at all times.
Since it was a pocket carry and I had my scrubs on I had no pocket that fit at that time. In that moment of failure I sure rebuked myself and carefully addressed the booboo. Good thing it wasn’t an undrop safe handgun.

Taking my hostler and gun off at night once I found out that the kydex shell was not tightened down enough when the gun slid right out and bounced across the bedroom floor. Luckily just me there when I look like an idiot so no harm done.

Taking my hostler and gun off at night once I found out that the kydex shell was not tightened down enough when the gun slid right out and bounced across the bedroom floor. Luckily just me there when I look like an idiot so no harm done.

Done this in the bathroom, I use a stealthgear with a fabric backing- the retention is great when I'm wearing it but loosens up significantly when not on my person (no pressure on the back from the love handles). Whatever happened that night the holster flipped over with some force still attached to my unzipped pants and undone belt and the gun just flopped onto the floor with a bang. Not sure what all these po-po's bitch about, my glock didn't fire or shoot me (or my partner) in the leg or anything.

Not my personal carry gun by I’ve dumped an M9 from my crappy issued shoulder holster multiple times. Once it went bouncing down the flight station stairs, once it went down my flightsuit leg. That was rather awkward as there were about 80 Macedonians around me wondering why I was undressing! Oops!

Yep, In my mother-in-law's bathroom. I was pulling up my pants. Kydex holster and shield came off my belt. Put a big chip in the marble tile. She still wonders how it got there. Lol She doesn't know I own guns. I would rather just keep it that way.

My daily year round carry is a G21, before that, it was a G17. Always in a OWB Blackhawk Holster with Retention and a paddle release, it can't fall out. A couple times a month I'll mix it up, a casual Friday of sorts. When I mix it up it's almost always a wheel gun. Usually it's my S&W 19 or my S&W 627. One Saturday, I wasn't supposed to work, but the guy that was supposed to cover for me called in sick. I was just working around the house and was already wearing my 627. My shirt was a little short so I had the Holster set up as a cross draw. I pull up in front of Dunks to get a coffee, undo my seat belt which must've undone the snap on my DeSantis Holster and hooked onto my gun, step out of my truck and my hand cannon hits the pavement. There were Girl Scouts outfront selling their cookies, people entering and exiting, and nobody noticed. I quickly reached down, grabbed my gun, stuffed it back in my Holster, and drove to work. I was mortified.

I hadn't been carrying very long but had a PM9 in a desantis nemesis in the front pocket of my shorts. Got out of the truck at McDonald's and when I returned and was putting the key in the door I noticed the PM9 lying on the drivers seat. I stared at it for a second and probably did one of those sideways head tilt moves like dogs do followed by "Wtf? Is that my gun?" (Grab pocket) "Yep..." [laugh] No idea how it happened or why I didnt feel it was gone but hasn't happened again.

Also dropped a spare mag for the same gun more than once. First time at a bbq, was sitting in a shitty plastic chair. Slipped out and I just picked it up and pretended like it didnt happen. Second time in work, learned back a bit too far and it slid out and hit the floor. Dude next to me looked right at it. I just picked it up and again pretended like it didnt happen. Literally a minute later it happened again. This time the top round popped out and rolled across the floor, lol. Same dude looked right at it again and never said anything. Ordered a sticky mag pouch that night and hasn't happened since.

Sig 938 in OEM holster. It was summer time and I felt like carrying my newly acquired sub-compact. I didn’t buy a holster for it yet as it came with a factory holster. The clip rode up little by little without me noticing it, and popped out with the gun it all of sudden. Now I only trust holsters secured by loops or holes for the belt.

Sig-Sauer-P938-OWB-Holster-Factory-OEM-with.jpg

This was my first time trying out a pocket holster. My Foxx IWB leather holster has amazing retention and security but of course it’s nice to free up the bulky waistline once in a while.

Back many years ago in a public bathroom in a large building, the PPK/s fell out of the cheap leather gun-show holster ("one size fits none" style) and skidded across the floor. Noone else was in that bathroom luckily.

Now I carry a different gun in Milt Sparks VMII holsters and you can hold them upside down and nothing falls out and this is after >10 yrs of using the same holster. Yup, you have to pay for the quality but you get safety, security as well as a comfortable holster for your money.

Once time I was dancing at the club and I did my patented back flip and it popped out of my SOB holster.

Bonus likes for shooting someone while retrieving it.

I had a similar situation to headednorth with my Glock 43. Fortunately, I was in a large, sparsely used parking garage...and my vehicle had black leather seats!

Yep, In my mother-in-law's bathroom. I was pulling up my pants. Kydex holster and shield came off my belt. Put a big chip in the marble tile. She still wonders how it got there. Lol She doesn't know I own guns. I would rather just keep it that way.
Basically ther same story for me, but I was in the stall at a client's office and the floor was unscathed.

Once about 13 years ago.

I was trying out a slide clip-on type carry option and I had not placed it properly on my belt and it fell out and hit an exterior concrete surface at my house.
That put a scratch onto the rear slide of my XD-9 SC stainless. Its still scratched.

(I could buff it out smooth, but then again, I have a long list of things to do that life does not allow enough time for..... so its got a "CCW Scar")

Lost my fully loaded high capacity black Glock “clip” at a movie theater the other day...

Edit (legal disclaimer): Just kidding of course, that was not me. I don’t own any such things.

Some of you need to fess up about the time it dropped IN the toilet. I remember reading one member's post about doing that twice before retiring that particular holster from service [rofl].

I dropped my first ccw within hours of getting it home[laugh]. I hadn't shot pistols in a while, had never carried and had almost no experience with something as small as the LC9s. I decided I had better build some muscle memory and get my hands used to it. I got out the snap caps to load, clear, draw and holster it a bunch of times. I fumbled trying to lock the slide back on that little thing. Fortunately it got away from me over a wood floor[rolleyes]. No drops since, but early on there were a few times with my pants around my ankles when the holster rolled over. The gun stayed in the holster but I sure didn't like looking at that end of the gun pointing up at me . A proper ccw belt and techniques learned in some rather entertaining threads here helped fix that.

One time about 8 years ago. Down at Faneuil Hall with the wife and daughter and some visitors from out of town. Unfortunately I had to take a dump and just couldn't wait so it was down to the public restroom there. I had a paper shopping bag with a couple of books and some other little items from shopping. Once in the stall I slid the holster off my belt, put it in the bag and went to hang it on the hook on the back of the stall door. Accidentally only hooked one of the bag handles over the hook and the books fell forward ripping the bag spilling the contents onto the floor. The holster and gun fell to the floor and slid just out under the stall into the public area which was packed with people waiting for the urinals. I reached under and snagged it pretty damn quick but have no idea if anyone saw it or not. No dogs shot and no issues but I haven't dropped it since!

Back
Top Bottom