• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone done button rifling?

Looking to learn. I've seen people build presses that allowed them to do button rifling relatively easy. Any experience with this here? Short distances btw 6" max. not like full 24"barrels or anything

Looking to learn. I've seen people build presses that allowed them to do button rifling relatively easy. Any experience with this here? Short distances btw 6" max. not like full 24"barrels or anything
are you capable of cut rifling? for 6" runs I would think that would be easier?

Last edited:
Yeah Im just gonna order steel blanks and drill and ream them myself. I'm a machinist so its up my alley.

Yeah im actually talking with the guy whose video this is to look over my design (almost identical to his) before I build one.

Having a hard time finding rifling buttons tho.
Whole bunch of outfits in Ct who do gun drilling. I once used one to do regular rifling. Maybe they can supply the buttons. Jack.

Yeah Im just gonna order steel blanks and drill and ream them myself. I'm a machinist so its up my alley.

Yeah im actually talking with the guy whose video this is to look over my design (almost identical to his) before I build one.

Cant you make the button.?

Yeah im actually waiting for a quote back from them

i'll jump into the mix here. they were rifling barrels in the 1700's on pennsylvania long rifles that were extremely accurate out to 300 yards even by todays standards. i would think if they could do it with the limited technology of the day, how hard is it really for a relatively skilled home workshop hobbyist of today? just wondering out loud and i am extremely interested to see if someone is going to do it. and think how difficult those german gun makers had it with no internet and google to fall back on. good luck! hope the project is a success.

I Have the plans for a cut rifling machine, just havent made it yet. (thats the type greencobra is referring to. ) The button rifling is more what we are used to with modern rifling.

Back
Top Bottom