• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone does safety courses these days?

My wife recently took a course at MFS and she thought they were terrific and they run courses daily; at least they did before Corona.

She had to take another class as Florida wouldn’t accept her course from 1994ish when she was applying for her non-res permit.

Bob

By “these days” do you mean “while under COVID-19 lockdown”, or in general?

Woburn Sportsmen’s Association runs a class monthly in spring and fall, but this month’s was cancelled because of COVID-19

Yup MFS. website shows no corona warnings, not that far from newton. too far from me to become a member.
been there twice, once to shoot a gun i was considering, once to buy a gun i wanted.
refer your friend to them.

I love those guys: " By “these days” do you mean “while under COVID-19 lockdown”, or in general?" We are in midst sorta lockdown ...
Anyways. Thanks for the MFS answer. And he could care less about FL.
Can you take MA online?

Nope.Fla. requires live fire certification.....

Her class had the live fire for Florida but because it was so old it didn’t meet the NRA instructor signature requirements. It was missing the instructor license number so they kicked it back.

The issue is that when they kicked it back you have 30 days From the date the letter was written to supply the required training document and 10 days were gone by the time it got here.

Fortunately for us MFS runs classes daily and she was able to get in without and issue and she emailed the certificate.

She came from a non-gun family, not anti just non-gun, and she has had her LTC for many years now. She never really got the bug but has always been supportive shooting on and off over the years. It is nice to see her becoming more interested.

She couldn’t say enough good things about MFS, the facility, and the staff.

Bob

Training Certificate Requirements
The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible and must include:

• Your name,
  • Your instructor's name,
  • Your instructor's qualifications/credentials (National Rifle Association instructor, law enforcement firearms instructor, Class "K" Firearm Instructor licensed by the state of Florida, etc.) and
  • Your instructor's license/certification number.
The requirements can be found in the concealed weapon license application section of Florida website.

Florida Concealed Weapon License Application Information - Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services

Last edited:
Her class had the live fire for Florida but because it was so old it didn’t meet the NRA instructor signature requirements. It was missing the instructor license number so they kicked it back.

The issue is that when they kicked it back you have 30 days From the date the letter was written to supply the required training document and 10 days were gone by the time it got here.

Fortunately for us MFS runs classes daily and she was able to get in without and issue and she emailed the certificate.

She came from a non-gun family, not anti just non-gun, and she has had her LTC for many years now. She never really got the bug but has always been supportive shooting on and off over the years. It is nice to see her becoming more interested.

She couldn’t say enough good things about MFS, the facility, and the staff.

Bob

Training Certificate Requirements
The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible and must include:

• Your name,
  • Your instructor's name,
  • Your instructor's qualifications/credentials (National Rifle Association instructor, law enforcement firearms instructor, Class "K" Firearm Instructor licensed by the state of Florida, etc.) and
  • Your instructor's license/certification number.
https://www.fdacs.gov/firearms/acceptable_training_documentation.html

That link is dead.

Yup MFS. website shows no corona warnings, not that far from newton. too far from me to become a member.
been there twice, once to shoot a gun i was considering, once to buy a gun i wanted.
refer your friend to them.

MFS is closing for a week:

Back
Top Bottom