1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Anyone do a Fly, buy and drive for a car?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Black, May 14, 2019 at 8:20 AM.

1. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

A friend bought a car from a co-worker who was returning to India. When I he showed me the paperwork, I said "ooops, you got a MA "memo title" only valid with a real title from another state. You do not own this car". He was able to return it to the seller for a refund and buy a used car unseen from a "cost plus" dealer who got it from Adessa. Sold it at a $500 loss 5 months later when he returned to the holy land of software development (Bangalore)

2. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

Yes. Do a google on "asset forfeiture" - it's absolutely horrifying. There's no burden of proof, there's no presumption of innocence, no need for conviction. There's just seizure. I wrote a personal check to the dealership in Texas, after verifying with them beforehand that they'd accept it. If they wouldn't accept my check, I would have made arrangements for a wire transfer.

3. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

When I bought my boat down in Jupiter FL It was with a wire transfer.

4. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias

A co-worker just bought a Mercedes from a TX dealer and had it shipped.

The dealer did all the paperwork via mail. Registration and all the junk that a dealer does here.

He said it was easier than going to a dealership here.

5. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Depends on which state, but most give temporary tags.

I bought my current van while I was still temporarily in Texas. I declared my NH residency and didn't pay the 6.25% Texas sales tax, but did get 60 day Texas paper tags. I flew to NH for a visit (wife and kids were already here permanently), registered the van, then flew back and put on my NH plates.

It would be four more months before the van ever crossed into NH. When I got here, I had to get an inspection, of course.

6. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    I recently did a cursory search of the Worcester Superior Court for asset forfeitures. By my best count, Worcester County seized about $2mil in cash plus a dozen or so cars last year. Most ended up as default judgments. They are filed as "Commonwealth of Massachusetts v $25,000 in U.S Currency, and include a copy of the police report. I suspect most of the previous owners are still cooling their heels in jail.

I just checked. So far this year, Worcester County has seized $610410.20 and 13 vehicles.

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 4:43 PM
    Greg likes this.
  7. Greg

Greg

Didn't the USSC make a ruling recently that is supposed to curb police departments collecting revenue this way ?

8. ScottS

ScottS NES Member

Basically my last (current) car experience. Found the ad online. Liked what I saw. Called the dealership and spoke to a (new, young) salesman. Some questions back and forth. Had him take a couple of pictures of specific areas. Haggled a bit on price (not much. I suck at this particular skill), and when he emailed me a signed PO, I wire transferred the money. Got on the phone and set up transport. Couple of pieces of paperwork back and forth, and the shipper showed up and took my car. Two days later it was here. Before my 20 day temp tags expired, the title came and I registered it. Pretty easy overall. Everything went via email or FedEx.

9. mibro

mibro NES Member

OP, do NOT carry thousands in cash.

The big obstacle to the out of state vehicle purchase is Massachusetts does not allow temporary tags so you must either drive on the seller's plates and insurance or get Massachusetts plates on the vehicle so you can insure it before you drive home.

I've thought about doing exactly what you described and I wrote myself a plan to get it done. Hope this is helpful either way, might help you avoid forgetting a few details. My insurance agent always fumbles the details.

Day 0
    Make sure vehicle is CARB-compliant
    Make rental car and hotel reservations
    Ship tire repair kit, any other items for trip
    Go to ******** Insurance, insure the car and print out the insurance card, fill out Application for Registration and Title Form (Form RMV-1)
    Ask the seller if he will let you drive on his plates, if so, drive home on his plates with the completed paperwork in the car, if not, use the following schedule.

Print UPS Next Day Air labels for both ways shipping

Day 1
    Take laptop and UPS Next Day Air envelope with preprinted thermal label, EZPass transponder, code reader
    Fly to destination
    Rental car
    Meet seller, inspect car
    Drive to [Your Bank], withdraw cash from account
    Complete sale with all paperwork in bank lobby
    UPS Next Day Air envelope with all necessary paperwork to ******** Insurance
    * Title
    * Bill of Sale
    * Application for Registration and Title Form (Form RMV-1) [Must include a stamp to certify that you have insurance]
    * Title transfer fee: $75.00
    * Sales tax: 6.25% of the purchase price.
    * Registration fee: $60 for a new, regular registration and standard license plate.
    Hotel

Day 2
    Paperwork processed, plates issued
    UPS Next Day Air plates and paperwork shipped by insurance agent to me
    Return rental car, Uber back to hotel
    Add car to EZPass account
    Hotel

Day 3
    Receive plates and paperwork
    Drive home

10. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

You better be going way south of Filthadelphia.......like southern Tennessee, Northern Georgia, inland Carolinas, or west to southern Arizona, New Mexico, or (God Forbid) Southern Kalifornia.

They use salt on the roads anywhere that snow falls in the winter.

Some of the worst rust buckets I've ever seen were in PA and Ohio......I'm talking flapping fenders and missing rocker panels.

Go buy where the winters are the mildest and away from the ocean.

11. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

[​IMG]
    Any recall I have seen for rot issues is normally limited to "salt belt" states

I drool everytime I get a Florida car in the shop. Had a big SUV , a Suburban type big thing on the lift this week. a 2002. It looked like it was brand new. The alloy wheels were pristine. Just came up from Florida. I had a guy call for an appointment to do an inspection on a 1998 F150. I figured it was a typical NH rot box with bad suspension. It came out of Florida it was beautiful ! The only thing wrong was the protective film in front of the rear wheels had gone bad with age.

The Boss's brother is bringing up his 53 Ford next week from Florida, I can't wait to see it

mibro likes this.
  12. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

When living in Texas and visiting Oklahoma, I saw many late 40's and early 50's pickups and larger farm trucks still working the farms. The paintjobs were shot but they were still operating daily.

13. Black

Black

Lots of good in here.
    Use SWIFT
    Probably wil focus more on a "dealer' vs shady CL person
    leverage my bike forum connections ( KDX/ XR650r/ ADV) to pre check
    use the independent shop to do a precheck

I've checked 4 runner forums and well I agree i can see the history or them, rep of seller however they do seem "overpriced" i want a stock runner to do my own thing to, they seem to overprice

14. falcon123

falcon123 NES Member

Many years ago (30+) I bought a new pickup in CA and left for MA the next day with only temp plates also towing a UHaul. I made it to Marlboro and was stopped a few days later by MPD cruiser after running a red light trying to keep up with a car I was following. The look on the cop's face as he walked up to my window. Went something like this:
    Cop: Where the f*** are your plates?
    Me: Pointed to a CA DMV sticker on my windshield.
    Cop: What the f*** is that?
    I explain it to him and in the meantime the guy I was following runs up to the cop. Happened to know him.
    Cop: Is this guy with you?
    Friend: Yes Bill. He just moved here from CA.
    Cop shaking his head says " Take him down to the registry down the street right now and make sure he gets plates".
    Walks away shaking his head. No ticket. [laugh]

15. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

I flew to Arizona to see/buy a car. It was a shitbox. Never again.

16. Black

Black

what was the issue ? meaning was it not represented at all, took him at his word, ? did the pre inspection by a car shop not pick up isues?

17. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

Unreal. Massachusetts is its own little kingdom. I've only lived in a couple of states, but I've never heard of such a thing. I flew to Texas, the dealer put temp Texas tags on the truck I bought and I drove it to Georgia. I never gave it a second thought, and neither did anyone else.

mibro likes this.
  18. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

Holy shit. I wanna ride. upload_2019-5-15_6-14-28.jpeg

KBCraig likes this.
  19. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

I wouldn't drive an 03-09 across country over 120k miles on the odometer without replacing the front brake calipers with remans from Napa and probably a full set of ebc rotors and pads (green stuff) all the way around.

The calipers in the front tend to start onnly half engadging at around that age. Rebuild is possible but it's cheaper in time to just replace the whole thing.

Plan on fresh air filter and oil as well.

Check the trans cooler line. They don't last that long and when they start breaking down, they usually clog the trans cooler side of the radiator too.

That transmission is very strong, but can not handle heat without the cooler under much substantial load.

I guess I'd probably replace the radiator too.

As soon as you get it up here, take it to @dropride ! Clean the MAF, and loosen and put antiseaze on all exhaust manifold bolts.

That should save you from nightmares.

Oh and add a tube extension to the drain tube for the AC system. We lost part of our frame because the frigging tube dripps right onto the frame rail and we think someone flushed it with bleach a few times.

The steering ujoint is non grease fitting equiped and open to elements. Consider slapping a handful of grease on it once an oil change or so. They are a pain to replace when they bind up and a dab of grease has kept ours good for years.

Also don't cheap out on half shafts. The shitty ones they sell at O'Riley's and VIP auto puts on have boots which only last about a year. Go to Napa or buy from an off-road shop online. Also go with moog sway bar end links. (Like $50 each vs the generic ones for $40).

One of ours got replaced with a cheap one and it caused the previous owner something like $1000 in alignment costs to never get it right. (Nasty vibration at 70 mph. Vanished when I changed to moogs at the suggestion of a few forum posts.)

20. Alien

Alien NES Member

I am presently looking for a 1970 convertible muscle car. I am most likely going to have to travel out of state to inspect before purchase. Since it would not be a good idea to travel with large sums of cash I went to my bank (Harbor One) and asked about a wire transfer while I am out of state. They said not possible I would need to be at the bank to initiate the wire transfer, no other way!

As much as I dislike Bank Of America they have branches everywhere and have deposited enough money to buy what I am looking for. When I find the correct car I will fly, drive, or take a train to inspect. If it passes inspection by me I will go to the nearest bank of America and either do a wire transfer or cashiers check. Arrange shipping or if its close enough a U Haul car trailer and tow it home.

21. Danor

Danor NES Member

I low balled an ebay bid one night and woke up in the morning the proud owner of an antique Mercedes in Wisconsin. The car was originally from California. Once I got the guys name I was able to find him and his wife on facebook. Googled his name and found his business, Street viewed his house where the pictures of the car were taken and found the obituary of his father in law whos car it was etc.. Pretty creepy how much info I got. I had the car shipped with one of the ebay listed car carriers. The deal went great.

22. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

But how was the car?