Anyone dealing with a Woke employer?

Are you concerned about the woke culture costing you your job?

• Total voters
Play the game while you aggressively look for another job. Unfortunately, this signaling is becoming the norm as companies celebrate deviancy, but it should be easy to spot in the interview process.

its a cultural thing.
Black slaves developed a wonderful technique called"Shuckin and Jivin"

When their slave masters wanted them to work harder, they would do the Shuckin and Jivin, to make it LOOK like they were working hard.

Its probably not in your culture to do that, or you are new to working in a "woke company". But it is a time honored way to get along. Never say anything offensive to your masters. Pretend to be working as hard as you can, pretend to be supporting their woke agenda, NEVER talk about your true feelings to anyone at work. Just do it, and you will be fine.

back in the day i worked at a research lab associated with a local big university. I had to figure it all out back in the '70's...they were totally woke way back then!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKlJPagNu5Y

How is everyone else in similar situations handling the encroachment of woke culture and the threat that comes with it if you should dare speak out against the orthodoxy?
When I was working for a law firm that advocated for, among other things, marriage equality for the LGBT community pre-Obergefell it wasn't an "in for a penny, in for a pound (no pun intended)" type situation. You could support equality without having to latch onto every liberal cause. The Court ruled and the battle was won, but s**t started to get weird. Without the common ground on this one issue, I began feeling isolated and vulnerable around my colleagues. The 2016 election was just around the corner and everyone was curious as to my political orientation. I was in the closet and desperately afraid of being outed as... a Conservative.

Fast forward to today. Technically I do not work for anyone, but my business is dependent on what may be capricious and arbitrary will of others. Many in my field feel the need to declare themselves the wokest of the woke. What is sad is, I am all for equality - true equality. I do understand how historical inequities still effect people today, and I am open to solutions. However I will not entertain blame games, or discussions on how our justice system is based on Euro-centric values or any of the stuff that only seems to excuse the behavior of others and divide us. I will not stand for lies or intentional intellectual laziness. I do feel though that I must keep my views to myself for the sake of my livelihood. Some privilege! [thinking]

This is the reason I am bailing, I've saved enough that I will take a semi retired life with less stress and watch it all burn down
Don’t forget the popcorn for this upcoming summer special season on America, where the democrats whip up their followers into burning down their own communities in the name of racial justice after Office Chauvin is aquited on all charges...

When I was working for a law firm that advocated for, among other things, marriage equality for the LGBT community pre-Obergefell it wasn't an "in for a penny, in for a pound (no pun intended)" type situation. You could support equality without having to latch onto every liberal cause. The Court ruled and the battle was won, but s**t started to get weird. Without the common ground on this one issue, I began feeling isolated and vulnerable around my colleagues. The 2016 election was just around the corner and everyone was curious as to my political orientation. I was in the closet and desperately afraid of being outed as... a Conservative.

Fast forward to today. Technically I do not work for anyone, but my business is dependent on what may be capricious and arbitrary will of others. Many in my field feel the need to declare themselves the wokest of the woke. What is sad is, I am all for equality - true equality. I do understand how historical inequities still effect people today, and I am open to solutions. However I will not entertain blame games, or discussions on how our justice system is based on Euro-centric values or any of the stuff that only seems to excuse the behavior of others and divide us. I will not stand for lies or intentional intellectual laziness. I do feel though that I must keep my views to myself for the sake of my livelihood. Some privilege! [thinking]
Well said, I have the wokest of employers. When pressed I just say, “I don’t know”. Easiest answer to go on in life.

Everyone wants a debate where I work. Right know it’s “assault rifles”, “mass shootings”. Funny but one lady looked to me for an answer to a rhetorical question very abruptly after engaging in a passionate back and forth about “you don’t need an assault rifle!” With several other staff on the off shift. I said, “I love assault rifles and I own many”. It just came out and she was awestruck which gave me the opportunity to have her calm down, think critically, and not use her emotions so much. Well, she did get diffused. We are still friendly too. It’s a “don’t go there” now, lol. The other coworkers stood lock step with me after that. My black coworker responded that he would like to carry.

Do you want your house and family, or do you find it more important to speak your mind? Seems like a pretty simple question you can answer yourself.

I've got an adage I've used for decades: "Do you wanna be right or do you wanna be rich?"

I'm a greedy mofo - I always choose rich. LOL. At least in my business. But I'm getting to the point where right has a place. (I've got 2 clients that need to go. It's time. They don't respect my judgement and keeping me on just frustrates both of us.)

That said, I'd take them to the limit on this. This is mASSachusetts. You could totally turn this around and find a court to side with you. OK, let me rephrase that - I'd TOTALLY LOVE to see you take them to the limit on this. Hell, I'd be willing to kick in for the legal fund to start.

EDIT - as far as active-shooter, my girls were in a school that had active-shooter training a decade ago. I told them both (the school was one-floor) that they should open a window and roll out. Then run like hell. Do NOT stay there. I don't care who says what. Run. Get the F out.

I was shocked. "We're going to lock the doors from the inside and sit and wait." Wait for what? To get shot???? This was just post-Newtown and that was the theory. Of course it didn't help there at all. I can't believe there is ANY training that isn't "RUSH THE SON OF A BITCH" in a post-9/11 world.

Similar situation. I just shut the hell up and bury my head. Find a few allies internally & then mock the rest of your coworkers via text with one another since all my work emails are monitored by our chief compliance officer.
Don't do text- because you never know.

Thankfully there's none of this BS at my job. Of course there's only 5 of us and I'm the manager and we all think guns are cool.

RE: buying a house in MA... Yeah I was seriously debating getting out of here too but I love the Cape too much. I wish it were in another state but it's here and it's my home. Luckily all my immediate neighbors are cool. Retired Marine, and longshoreman across the street from me. Active Coast Guard and Marine to my left and right, who both have kids around the ages of mine. Marine just moved in actually, and I noticed he's got USMC and AR15 decals on his truck when he first pulled in so I'm sure we'll get along just fine.

I work for an environmental consulting company.. LOL.. welcome to my world..

thankfully our single HR person is a staunch conservative. We commiserate together.. She has had my back on a lot of stuff.

however, the majority are woke leftists. Being over 50 and Italian, I have a hard time filtering myself LOL. I have no problem putting Women on Target flyers in the lunchroom, as well as stuff like hunting calendars and small trinkets in my office.

there's a whole thread on this shit.

Story Time!!
My wife ( Italian- Real old school carries an ice pick) was asked to sign up for Diversity training. It was not mandatory. Wife skips the Training, Directory of HR emailed saying she should take the training- Wife replies- My husband is black, no thank you- HR send a second email -it is not only for the African American but also for the Asian community too. My wife replies, my husband is also Japanese- Do I still need to go? Still waiting on HR to respond. lol

my company has been "woke" since before "woke" was a thing.

I am hoping I get laid off. I will get a nice severance package, pay off my house, get another "I don't give a crap" job.....I'll be fine.

Even so I cannot get fired. So I keep my mouth shut and just smile and nod when someone decides to push their political BS.

Story Time!!
My wife ( Italian- Real old school carries an ice pick) was asked to sign up for Diversity training. It was not mandatory. Wife skips the Training, Directory of HR emailed saying she should take the training- Wife replies- My husband is black, no thank you- HR send a second email -it is not only for the African American but also for the Asian community too. My wife replies, my husband is also Japanese- Do I still need to go? Still waiting on HR to respond. lol
that is awesome. they don't know how to respond. lol

I've had the same employment for 25+ years.....managing and laboring to make life a bit cushier for who I call the rich and infamous...some high profile in the eyes of the world. I worked there with my Father...left, came back. Many memories tied there, for certain reasons it is entwined into my family members lives deeper than traditional employment. I used to deal with people who earned and created what they had...many filthy rich, yet with modest homes compared to today's standards. Property was passed down and meant something....Part of the greatest generation. Now as most have passed...the money enters the pockets of those who never worked a hard day. Paid education types and all extremely left minded....The most detached archtype of today's society. You can literally wave or say hello to some of these people from 10ft. away and they say nothing, eyes looking through you. A great influx of those not generationally rooted come to rebuild and sell with even less appreciation for the place. I fear the profile of my place of work and the nation when all the oldtimers are gone. Now I hate what I do...I dread going to work most of the time...It used to at least be an escape from crappy relationships in the past lol, but I am pretty well compensated and am a sole provider for my youngest....fornthis I thank God.
I was told there is a push for sensitivity training....I don't know that I can do it should it come to pass. If I'm directly engaged I sure as hell won't be able too. Something in me makes it too dificult to fake a smile in the face of self imposed ignorance and lies. I hope I'm left alone...what will come forth will be clear, correct and poignant....and probably hurt...because nowadays, shoot...anything real to sjw's just hurts. In the end we're dead in this world and the money doesn't follow....I can't trade all of my soul and discard truth when I know as much as losing my job would suck, I will still be able to eat.

You are in greater danger of not getting the job because you are a white male than losing it.

One of my family works for an organization who was hiring to fill a position the two best candidates were white males and the woke upper management wouldn’t approve the hire. He was forced to hire a “more diverse“ candidate that wasn’t nearly has qualified.

Bob

Similar situation. I just shut the hell up and bury my head. Find a few allies internally & then mock the rest of your coworkers via text with one another since all my work emails are monitored by our chief compliance officer.

Don't do text- because you never know.

Definitely don't text w/ co-workers like that. Work is work, they're not your family, you never know when something you text will bite you in the ass down the road. I made it a habit years ago never to text or email anything which could hurt me later. That goes for employees, my ex wife, anyone. No off-color jokes, "inappropriate" memes, etc. no matter how funny they are. Just don't. I rest easy at night knowing I have never put anything out there electronically that could come back at me. I also have mountains of emails/texts from the ex-wife showing how well we get along, etc. Any disagreements we have are just that, but never ever name calling, threatening, getting angry, etc.

Right now I'm in the midst of a mini-divorce, splitting w/ live in girlfriend of 8 years I bought a house with. I don't expect any issues but she's woke as f*** (became very much more so after TDS hit, and it's most of the reason we're splitting). I always worry about red flag laws being abused, etc. The funny thing is, I have several texts/screenshots of stupid things she has said/done over the years that would get her fired in an instant and land her in the news because of it (the headline would be something like: XYZ School District Union President has a history of inappropriate racist comments on social media/tText). I don't have any intention of ever using it, but it's there if I need it. There are times I want to scream, literally & electronically but I don't. Ever. Periodically I download all my text messages from my ex wife/girlfriend so I have an audit trail - it helps to have documentation of all the normal conversations too in case they every try and pull something.

Definitely don't text w/ co-workers like that. Work is work, they're not your family, you never know when something you text will bite you in the ass down the road. I made it a habit years ago never to text or email anything which could hurt me later. That goes for employees, my ex wife, anyone. No off-color jokes, "inappropriate" memes, etc. no matter how funny they are. Just don't. I rest easy at night knowing I have never put anything out there electronically that could come back at me. I also have mountains of emails/texts from the ex-wife showing how well we get along, etc. Any disagreements we have are just that, but never ever name calling, threatening, getting angry, etc.

Right now I'm in the midst of a mini-divorce, splitting w/ live in girlfriend of 8 years I bought a house with. I don't expect any issues but she's woke as f*** (became very much more so after TDS hit, and it's most of the reason we're splitting). I always worry about red flag laws being abused, etc. The funny thing is, I have several texts/screenshots of stupid things she has said/done over the years that would get her fired in an instant and land her in the news because of it (the headline would be something like: XYZ School District Union President has a history of inappropriate racist comments on social media/tText). I don't have any intention of ever using it, but it's there if I need it. There are times I want to scream, literally & electronically but I don't. Ever. Periodically I download all my text messages from my ex wife/girlfriend so I have an audit trail - it helps to have documentation of all the normal conversations too in case they every try and pull something.
I see your Kung Fu is strong!

I would cut the employer some slack on this as they are probably under pressure from lawyers, their insurer even some employees it's CYA. However if they are pushy and intimidating about it there are, with a little imagination many ways of pushing back (without doing anything illegal) while having some fun.

It's generally a good idea to avoid politics at work at all costs. Your coworkers are just that - coworkers, they're not your buddies that you can have heart-to-heart philosophical discussions with.
My very first job out college... the office manager who bought me in to train the first day.... I think in the first 5 minutes he said two things that always stuck with me.
Something along the lines of: We don't talk politics, we don't talk religion. If you do, you are asking for trouble, just don't do it.
A few years later a guy I worked with at another job got fired because he wouldn't shut up about religion (he'd basically preach to people on how they live lives of sinners). Anyway, he got into it with a lady we worked with about abortion and that was it for him. I was able to ignore the guy most of the time.
Another boss I had, job in my teens: "We're not you're friends here, we're the a**h***s you work with"

My current job I'm bombarded with woke stuff. Somehow I got on the gay club email list, I don't dare unsubscribe from that, I may get branded a hater and marked for death.
They got that club, a women's club, an Asian club, a black club.
Lots of 'contact your congressman' emails regarding something.
I just don't participate in that stuff. I barely have the time to get the actual work done.

My employer, being a very large gubmint contractor is de facto required to have all that BS. Got employee resource groups for everyone expect straight white males. Yet I am in a group that nearly all comercial sector companies discriminate against. Over 50 male. My employer actually values decades of experience I bring while also giving more opportunities to expand my knowledge than any commercial sector employer ever did. So, on balance, I tolerate/ignore the PC garbage as window dressing they need to show the politicos.

Somehow I got on the gay club email list, I don't dare unsubscribe from that, I may get branded a hater and marked for death.
They got that club, a women's club, an Asian club, a black club.
We have all of those too. Doesn't bother me but I'm also not on any of their mailing lists [laugh]

Meh, dont let it bother you. Just get paid and ignore it.

My company is woke AF, we get a ton of invites to meetings and crap. I never join them.

Some I join, mute myself, turn the volume down and do something else (those meetings that are for hundreds of employees and you know no one will ask you a question).

I dont discuss politics, guns or religion at work.

I know for a lot here it is very hard to not talk about guns or politics, you can barely handle saying NO when a doctor asks if you own guns. But try it, it is not hard.

Business truisms:

1. Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM equipment (obsolete)
2. Nobody ever got fired because they banned guns and an employee was subsequently killed on the job
3. Nobody ever got fired advocating wokeness
4. Wokeness has created numerous senior level corporate positions

Back
Top Bottom