Anyone dealing with a Woke employer?

Are you concerned about the woke culture costing you your job?

• Total voters
My employer, local in Western MA and an industry leader is well into its push for divirsity and inclusion.

They pay woke speakers to lecture us about race and privilege. They push articles, videos and info graphics explaining the horrors of micro aggressions. They push everyone to include their preferred pronouns in their email signature so that everyone can feel more welcome.

Problem is, I don’t feel very welcome. They encourage us to have “brave conversations”, but when the only conversations considered brave are ones which align with the political opinion made public by the leadership in the company, than what exactly about that is brave? Is my belief that the conclusions drawn are false something that would be championed within the company as a brave thing to say, or would I much more likely be exiled or even potentially fired depending on the intensity of my disagreement.

Unfortunately, we find ourselves in an at will employment state and I just bought my first house and hope to begin a family soon. I cant afford to lose what is a great job on paper. That being said, only so much can be avoided. When pressed in person on the issues, it is against my constitution to speak in agreement with that which I so thoroughly disagree and disapprove of.

How is everyone else in similar situations handling the encroachment of woke culture and the threat that comes with it if you should dare speak out against the orthodoxy?

how you feel matters not as long as paycheck comes and your career is on track.
if latter is not happening - kiss them good-bye and get a different job. a job is just a job.
'start family soon' - means you are on the younger side, still. so, one advice i can give - never speak of what you think, smile, be extremely polite, learn to read your counterparts and tell them what they want to hear. despite of what employer wants you to believe - they are not your family, they are not your kin, they use your time for their gain and compensate you for that.
that is all you owe to them. do not overthink that.

do not exclude yourself from 'conversations' - they will notice that. just do not mistake them for the friendlies.
also - there is a good russian proverb on that - "never piss against the wind". :)

My employer, local in Western MA and an industry leader is well into its push for divirsity and inclusion.

They pay woke speakers to lecture us about race and privilege. They push articles, videos and info graphics explaining the horrors of micro aggressions. They push everyone to include their preferred pronouns in their email signature so that everyone can feel more welcome.

Problem is, I don’t feel very welcome. They encourage us to have “brave conversations”, but when the only conversations considered brave are ones which align with the political opinion made public by the leadership in the company, than what exactly about that is brave? Is my belief that the conclusions drawn are false something that would be championed within the company as a brave thing to say, or would I much more likely be exiled or even potentially fired depending on the intensity of my disagreement.

Unfortunately, we find ourselves in an at will employment state and I just bought my first house and hope to begin a family soon. I cant afford to lose what is a great job on paper. That being said, only so much can be avoided. When pressed in person on the issues, it is against my constitution to speak in agreement with that which I so thoroughly disagree and disapprove of.

How is everyone else in similar situations handling the encroachment of woke culture and the threat that comes with it if you should dare speak out against the orthodoxy?

Similar situation. I just shut the hell up and bury my head. Find a few allies internally & then mock the rest of your coworkers via text with one another since all my work emails are monitored by our chief compliance officer.

also, before you ever open your mouth at work - realize that conversation may get recorded, it can stay forever - so, never speak anything you would not like to hear again.
i hate to tell you, but, it is what my parents taught me well in the middle of cold war in ussr. ain`t time a bitch.

My employer has been pushing diversity and inclusion as well. It's mildly annoying but seems like a small price to pay for what's otherwise a fantastic job. I like what I do, good pay, good benefits, great coworkers, overall company culture is awesome, etc - so what if I get the occasional email about BLM?

It's generally a good idea to avoid politics at work at all costs. Your coworkers are just that - coworkers, they're not your buddies that you can have heart-to-heart philosophical discussions with.

My employer has been pushing diversity and inclusion as well. It's mildly annoying but seems like a small price to pay for what's otherwise a fantastic job. I like what I do, good pay, good benefits, great coworkers, overall company culture is awesome, etc - so what if I get the occasional email about BLM?

It's generally a good idea to avoid politics at work at all costs. Your coworkers are just that - coworkers, they're not your buddies that you can have heart-to-heart philosophical discussions with.
Good points and I agree. Similar sentiments here.

Your coworkers are just that - coworkers, they're not your buddies that you can have heart-to-heart philosophical discussions with.
it is natural for younger folks to be friendly and make friends. you got to get a bit older to stop that habit. :)
i was burned very bad once when i just got to this country - told too much to an indian consultant who ran to the managers and got me out, to get his own indian buddies from his bodyshop to take my job. burned once - never to repeat same stupid thing again. still, a job is just a job. time heals all.

Woke stuff has been all over my workplace since I started there about 5 years ago. I just smile and wave. You gotta pick your battles. I NEVER say something I disagree with, but usually if someone says something like “did you hear about (the psyop of the day)” I usually respond with a “i think I saw a headline... idk, I don’t read the news too much”. Instead of telling people what you think, be a shining example for people to look up to, they will naturally want to be like you

I work for a similar company.

Nod your head in agreement and avoid speaking. When forced to respond be vague or outright lie.
Never talk politics, religion or anything like that at work.
If you are on Social Media never friend your co-workers and assume everything you say and post is seen by co-workers.
I never personalize my work space except for a single picture of my wife.

My boss just gave me a "Its okay to be white" sticker for my tool box
Feeling pretty lucky about that after reading this kind of thread. Dude is so anti woke I had to urge him against putting it on his car. Gotta stay stealthy around these commies for now
Any time I see a Trump, Gadsden, etc sticker on a car, I give the driver a thumbs-up.

Do not dwell on it. Don’t feel sorry for yourself. Ignore them. Just keep a stiff upper lip and carry on.

Your singular duty is to do the job you were hired for as best you can. Collect paycheck each pay period. Rinse. Repeat. This too shall pass. These people will soon tire of their own folly.

Above all else: be true to yourself.

Good luck.

My workshop conversations consist of "nice weather today" and "how about those Red Sox?"

Holy smokes. You are playing with fire. Everyone knows the weather is irrevocably altered due to your white privilege and generational racism. How many non-equity stakeholders are being adversely affected by weather-based outcomes of your cis-male intersectionality? As for the Red Sox...I mean this is a trap. How could you have an interest in a team whose original owner was a racist, especially when they continue to endorse the national anthem without taking a knee? Supporting this legacy of racial violence is problematic.

Any time I see a Trump, Gadsden, etc sticker on a car, I give the driver a thumbs-up.
I have respect for anyone who does this. Ill be honest I like my car too much to risk any trip to noho or amherst turning into a key fest on my paint but I applaud those that flaunt it

Consensus seems to be, collect your money and keep your head down.

I tend to agree, but being a very opinionated person who kind of enjoys debates with people, it’s against my natural instinct. I find it very hard to abide people running around unimpeded just spouting garbage talking points.

Im on a mission to prove to everyone in the world they are wrong /s lol

I'm sorry to hear that.

My Company gives zero shits about any of this. As long as we're making money no one cares how many cisgen white males there are, peeing standing up.
My boss loves to call people "needle dick" and threaten to stick his "dick up your ass"
I feel completely safe to have real "brave" conversations

Although I think I would actually enjoy this part:
They push everyone to include their preferred pronouns in their email signature so that everyone can feel more welcome.

- Dan A
Preferred Pronouns: Robot/Tactical Ballistic Missile

Similar, but not the same.
90% of the e-mails or memo's I get are the "Lets all hold hands/ cumbaya/ don't forget to be inclusive/ happy alphabet day" stuff that ends up in the trash.
Mostly inside stuff for teachers an admin, but it goes out as Send-All.
I work for a school district. In a garage. By myself. So a lot of that garbage doesn't pertain to me anyway. I go to great lengths to avoid Those People in the Big Building.
And I hate kids, which is kind of ironic considering I've been turning wrenches on school buses here for the past 18 years.

We have the whole deal here.

I need to present to my whole team on "Active Shooter Preparedness" so that everyone will know how to run/hide/fight in the extraordinarily unlikely event that somebody ever comes to shoot up the place. The tone of the messaging is basically about how scared we should all be and how gun violence is an epidemic (saying that seems even dumber in the midst of an actual epidemic). I obviously have no issue with safety and preparedness, but the tone is definitely that of the woke crowd.

I know exactly what I'd be doing in that event. But they don't need to know/hear about that.

Back
Top Bottom