Anyone dealing with a Woke employer?

Are you concerned about the woke culture costing you your job?

• Total voters
I feel your pain. I work at a company that is owned by a very "woke" umbrella consortium out of the UK. We have been "requested" to do online courses dealing with inclusion and diversity (aren't those terms mutually exclusive :rolleyes:?). SO far I have been told they are not required and I have yet to do any and no one has challenged me on it. I do get "gentle" reminders from time to time that I haven't completed the "requested" training. I know I'm not the only one that has refused to do them.

I have a little less than 6 months before I retire so I don't think anyone is going to push me to do it. If they try to get serious, I'll just retire earlier than planned.

I feel bad for those that are in the early years of their employment and career.

I tend to follow an axiom in situations like this that my Navy bootcamp company commander used to tell us..."Do your job and don't let your name be known".
Best thing that could happen to you is to get your ass fired and collect unemployment for 6-12 months.

I'm assuming your in your 50's or 60's. Get fired and sue them for age discrimination. Turn the tables on them, being the protected class that you are....

Best thing that could happen to you is to get your ass fired and collect unemployment for 6-12 months.

I'm assuming your in your 50's or 60's. Get fired and sue them for age discrimination. Turn the tables on them, being the protected class that you are....
I‘ve thought of it but NH doesn’t pay shit for unemployment. I keep hoping they will buy me out and offer me early retirement but I doubt that will happen. I am the last person standing from a previous company that was purchased by the current company I work for now and there are some things we did in the old company that no one else knows how to do. I will eventually need to document these processes but not until my last few weeks. You know...job security.

Any time I see a Trump, Gadsden, etc sticker on a car, I give the driver a thumbs-up.
Was in back of a guy at a red light that had a bumper sticker saying,"If you're still a Trump Supporter stay at least 500' behind me because I don't trust you". I beeped and waved and showed him my Trump 2024 sticker. Stayed 1 car length him and kept waving at him as we passed thru 3 red lights in Leominster. [rockon]

My employer, local in Western MA and an industry leader is well into its push for divirsity and inclusion.

They pay woke speakers to lecture us about race and privilege. They push articles, videos and info graphics explaining the horrors of micro aggressions. They push everyone to include their preferred pronouns in their email signature so that everyone can feel more welcome.

Problem is, I don’t feel very welcome. They encourage us to have “brave conversations”, but when the only conversations considered brave are ones which align with the political opinion made public by the leadership in the company, than what exactly about that is brave? Is my belief that the conclusions drawn are false something that would be championed within the company as a brave thing to say, or would I much more likely be exiled or even potentially fired depending on the intensity of my disagreement.

Unfortunately, we find ourselves in an at will employment state and I just bought my first house and hope to begin a family soon. I cant afford to lose what is a great job on paper. That being said, only so much can be avoided. When pressed in person on the issues, it is against my constitution to speak in agreement with that which I so thoroughly disagree and disapprove of.

How is everyone else in similar situations handling the encroachment of woke culture and the threat that comes with it if you should dare speak out against the orthodoxy?
Mass Mutual?

I‘ve thought of it but NH doesn’t pay shit for unemployment. I keep hoping they will buy me out and offer me early retirement but I doubt that will happen. I am the last person standing from a previous company that was purchased by the current company I work for now and there are some things we did in the old company that no one else knows how to do. I will eventually need to document these processes but not until my last few weeks. You know...job security.

Go old school and document it a la this:

1618267417911.png

Props to knowing the source, without google-fu. [laugh]

Company quarterly briefing today... after the financials and Covid office status... Announced we have a Diversity and Inclusion subcommittee... :rolleyes: looking at ways to recruit staff from places we haven't traditionally looked in the past. I really don't care what your background is.. you can either do the work or not.

I really DGAF.. I generally just do my work and for the most part, I'm left alone. Sure as hell not signing up to waste my time on that committee.

I'll have to see if I can "include" some folks into my next Women on Target class.. Hope to piss off the anti who took down my HR-approved flyers last time.

I wonder if this also has to do with what, I believe it was @jhblaze1 (sorry if it wasn't you), described in a thread; how a lot of fund are starting to look at a metric that basically says how woke a company is.
yeah, ESG investing. Investing used to be about maximizing returns and fulfilling fiduciary responsibilities....now it's making sure the companies you invest in are properly 'woke'.

Walmart, Foot Locker donate $300 MILLION to racial justice, get looted during racial justice riot

View attachment 472109
GOOD!!!

got the email today of our official " Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee" I'm sure the woke leftist cast of characters are involved.. esp. anti-gun wench..

I think we, at least for now, avoided the overt company "wokeness" that other firms have done.. like explicitly making statements about, or supporting causes that may be controversial. When this came up, I immediately asked if it was worth pissing off any clients who may fall on one side of a topic or another..

I do plan on advertising for my next Women on Target class.. just to offset the "wokeness". Even thinking that I'll pick up the tab for the first company employee who signs up.

Yep. Mine has gone woke too. So far I've been able to mostly ignore it.
Latest thing is PPs (not prohibited persons). I've left mine blank, and plan to do so unless and until someone says something. Then I'll just plead ignorance: "I don't pay attention to anyone's gender. I just address everyone by their first name. You don't want to hear me use anyone's pronoun; it'll be like when their mother or father uses their full name."
If anyone makes an issue about preferred pronouns, I just resort back toa0c8831de7c18614ba300ddceb7af897~2 (2020-03-04T12_41_01.000).jpg my go to gender neutral way of addressing them.

Equity means they want some of your stuff.
In the end, that's what it's all about whenever you see any 'affirmative action' type of policy. A true diversity workplace program would simply enforce that the best candidate wins, regardless of ethnicity, background, etc.; and not favor the woke flavor of the day. I wouldn't tolerate unfair discrimination, yet I'm not a fan of favoring artificial quotas and have at one point in my life denied a job because of that. Thankfully I work for a company that has a relatively pragmatic diversity policy that supports it without screwing over anyone who isn't 'diverse'.

And even still, I am starting to see the term and new corporate positions now being added, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, surpassed with the even more odious, Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging.

And don’t doubt that ANY team or decisions is better when composed of or made with Diversity.

And if you really stretch the maths, of the successful companies in a few sectors, many have more diverse employees than the average. Oddly, they don’t look at the less successful companies, to make sure the don’t have many Diverse employees - that wouldn’t fit the narrative.

We went through this (or were supposed to, the meeting took a turn for the odd which resulted in the meeting facilitator getting fired for doing what management asked). The point of view presented in the pre-reading materials was that "diverse groups are higher performing than non-diverse groups". Except if you read the cited material it said no such thing. It did indicate that high performing groups were often diverse, but there was no supporting evidence that making a group diverse made it high performing. In fact, several of the cited papers indicated that forcing diversity in a group often hurt the group performance.

In other words, diversity is great and can be a valuable tool if the group can use it. To force diversity on the group will often create internal issues which will undermine the group.

It is almost like high performing groups are high performing in spite of diversity rather than because of it. Which makes sense in a way. If the group can ignore the personal stuff then diversity brings new viewpoints, approaches, and ideas. Those are evaluated on their merits and adopted or rejected. If the group can't ignore the personal stuff then all viewpoints, approaches, and ideas are tainted by other issues and adopted or rejected because of who presented the idea not what idea was presented. So, if the group can process ideas on the merits of ideas, diversity works. If the group can't detach the idea from the thinker they are better off all thinking alike.

This also means that "diversity" means more than just which chromosomes you have or the hue of your skin. It is possible for a bunch of white males to be very diverse as they can have wildly different experience, backgrounds, talents, etc. I worked with a group (all white males) that was once characterized as "The only thing you have in common is that you have nothing in common." this made us rank low on the diversity score and low on some "team cohesiveness" score... but we were the top group in all the exercises.

yeah, ESG investing. Investing used to be about maximizing returns and fulfilling fiduciary responsibilities....now it's making sure the companies you invest in are properly 'woke'.

I want to see someone make the anti-ESG fund. Arms manufacturers, strip mines, cattle ranches, brothels, etc. I bet it would perform well.

I guess I could just pick the lowest ranked ESG funds... but I think there could be something to the "sins and vice" fund.

my doofus hospital was so quick to gobble the diversity knob, they hired a candidate who's "working papers" were not in order, and had to dismiss him.
I hear ya. My company had a similar experience several years ago. They hired an ex-government diversity person for a senior VP position who left "by mutual agreement" less than a year after being hired because they couldn't or wouldn't properly handle classified materials.

Story Time!!
My wife ( Italian- Real old school carries an ice pick) was asked to sign up for Diversity training. It was not mandatory. Wife skips the Training, Directory of HR emailed saying she should take the training- Wife replies- My husband is black, no thank you- HR send a second email -it is not only for the African American but also for the Asian community too. My wife replies, my husband is also Japanese- Do I still need to go? Still waiting on HR to respond. lol
Next Chapter-- It is now mandatory lol-- I think My wife will be getting fired on 4/29/21- I have a real issue with Diversity training. In my opinion, these types of training are stacking the cards for everyone that is not white. Let me write clear to get my point across- Why don't Diversity training talk about how if a white person is around a bunch of blacks, Asians, and liberals- If they speak their truth, we all automatically condemn them as racist? UMm shit, we all have an opinion. We are making a bigger divide in our community. Have a real conversation and if you don't like what the other person said, move the f*** on; life is too short for Bullshit. It is not a White, Black Asian, Brown, Mixed- it is about us learning about each other and moving forward- The Establishment is the primary cause in all this nonsense- in My opinion

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom