• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone Coyote Hunting in Mass?

What size shot would you recommend for coyotes?

I think I may go for a walk in the woods, but everywhere around here is stocked with pheasant.

Isn't buckshot illegal except in deer season? I'd say maybe BB. As for rifle, the going best suggestion is .17 Remington, followed closely by .204 Ruger and .17 Fireball. Catoperat, go ask at coyotegods.com forum.

Unless of course, you want to actually FIND the coyote after you shoot it.

Yeah, right. (I think you are sadly mistaken.)

.17 Remington is hands down one of the most popular coyote calibers out there. Sure, .222, .223 and 22-250 will do the job also, but not if you want to keep the pelt.

Isn't buckshot illegal except in deer season?

Except as provided below, no species other than deer, coyote, or waterfowl may be hunted or taken with shot larger than #1 birdshot. Except during the open season when deer may be hunted lawfully with a shotgun, a person shall not have in his possession a shotgun shell loaded with a rifled slug, single ball, buckshot of any size, or any shot larger than or equal to air rifle shot [BB] in any place where birds or mammals may be found except on a skeet, trap or target range between sunrise and sunset, or EXCEPT for the hunting of coyotes (a) during the prescribed season for coyote with shot not larger than FF; or (b) during the shotgun deer season when coyotes may be hunted with slugs, buckshot, or shot of any size; or except as specified in the annual Migratory Bird Hunting Extracts.

No buckshot except for deer season. It seems otherwise that FF is the largest you can use on coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom