• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ANyone change CCW seasonally?

MJM

I typically carry a Para Ordinance Carry 9. Its a 3 inch barrel 9mm 1911-style LDA(light Double Action) pistol with external safety. I would like to start carrying my Sig 229 in the winter just because[wink]. Should i not because the two guns function so differently? Does anyone switch out ther CCW seasonally?

442 (pocket carry) for warmer weather. 1911 (IWB) for jacket weather. Oh, and 442 whenever I'm feeling lazy and don't want to mess with a belt holster.

i try to stick to my G23 year round.

however, there are occasions when one must carry the "other" gun. my "other" gun is a full size 1911 [laugh]

-go figure

i think if you feel comfortable/confident shooting both there shouldn't be a problem switching...i carry an m&p9c during the warmer months and a sig p226 in the cooler/colder months

I typically carry a Para Ordinance Carry 9. Its a 3 inch barrel 9mm 1911-style LDA(light Double Action) pistol with external safety. I would like to start carrying my Sig 229 in the winter just because[wink]. Should i not because the two guns function so differently? Does anyone switch out ther CCW seasonally?

I carry my sig 229 in the summer and winter with just a t-shirt over it. It's not (despite popular opinion) too "chunky" of a gun to conceal well. Yes, it does present more of a challenge to conceal than a snubby, but it can be donw quite easily with a good rig. CTAC MTAC or Milt Sparks VMII

On occaision I carry my M&P40 as well in the MTAC.

I'm looking to get a snubby soon and that may become my work ccw since my work is a victim disarmament zone and the snubby should be much much easier to hide than the P229.

From what I've read, a lot of folks on here switch to a snubby or similarly small framed auto for the hot months.

If I had unlimited cash:
S&W 340PD in the summer
Glock 26 in the summer
Glock 26 or Glock 19 in the fall and winter

Smith & Wesson model 19 with 2.5" barrel in the colder months when concealment is not a problem. Colt 1903 .32 in the summer when riding my bike or a 1934 Beretta .380 for same. The warm weather revolver I favour is a Smith & Wesson model 36

I used to carry a 229 iwb with shorts and a tee shirt in the summer. I should never have sold that gun. I do change depending on what I feel like and what I am wearing. I never really go smaller than a 225 or USPc now. Good holsters go a long way with helping to conceal. I have used the G22, G27, PPK, 229 Smith 640, 686, 3" 629[shocked] and have come to wear the 225 and USPc now just because I seem to like them and shoot them well. I say as long as you feel good with the gun and how secure it is on your person go for it.

If I had unlimited cash:
S&W 340PD in the summer
Glock 26 in the summer
Glock 26 or Glock 19 in the fall and winter

You might look at the M&P 340. Very similar, a lot less money..

I generally stay with the snubbie.
But once in a while I go nuts and go p2000sk..

In the winter with a parka, I opt for either the 12g aow or the uzi w/o the stock..

Yes, I generally carry something heavier in the winter and lighter in the summer. How's that for being specific? [wink]

I usually switch between my LCP and G26 depending on weather and stuff. I have to say I really liked carrying the LCP this summer. I'm debating not switching to the G26 for winter carry.

I carry my G23 all year 'round, cause its all i got.

by next summer i would like to have something like a kahr or 642 for pocket in the warm months

I bought my M&P .40 now because the colder weather is coming and that will be my primary ccw throughout the colder months. I can conceal it no problem with a hoodie so as it gets colder it should only be easier.

Once the spring come around (just in time for a self b-day gift) I will be getting a S&W 640 in .357 magnum. For those who do not know what that one is, it's an all stainless hammerless 5 shot J frame. I am very excited for that one because it is not light like those airweights S&W offers but it is thin so it is concealable even during the summer months. I will also be carrying it IWB.

I shot the M&P340ct which weighs 13.3 oz vs. 23 oz which is the 640. When I shot the M&P340 I thought to myself I mind as well shoot the round off in my f***ing hand. My hand hurt all the next day after just one cylinder of .357.

So yes as the seasons change so will my ccw, between my M&P40 and the model 640.

But for those who do have airweight J-frames, HOW THE H**L CAN YOU STAND TO SHOOT THEM?!?!?!? Even if it is .38 why would u want to shoot that for fun or defense out of a gun that is so lightweaight. IMO the .38 is a terrible defense round and how can one control it in such a light gun. Go for the all stainless you get better control with and without magnum rounds. Just to clarify the only time I would actually like to shoot .38 is in an all stainless revolver on a shooting range, never for defense. When I get my revolver and carry for defense its .357 all the way and on the range .38 target loads.

Sorry for the long post but like most of you find it easy to ramble when it comes to talking firearms[wink]!

Last edited:
I don't change up or down.

I can just as easily conceal a .44 Magnum or a full size service semi auto in the heat of summer as I can on a cool fall day.

I don't change up or down.

I can just as easily conceal a .44 Magnum or a full size service semi auto in the heat of summer as I can on a cool fall day.

Right belt, right holster and right shirt, and you're pretty much good to go.

Ive only had my LTC since summer. In the summer I've been carrying a mp9c then the glock 26 I picked up.

I've carried these on the ankle, in an MTAC and in a smart carry.

I feel like I wouldn't be able to conceal a Glock 19 in the summer, but possibly in the winter.
I'd like to eventually own a Glock 19 for colder days and a ruger LCR for pocket carry in the summer.

S&W M.37 in the front pocket during summer, Sig P6 in the winter.

Work demands that I go with one or the other, seasonally; I prefer to stick with the same thing and draw a "line" between the two, so that I know what I'm going after with my right hand without thinking about it if SHTF. ALL cold weather carry is with the Sig, and ALL warm weather carry is with the S&W.

But for those who do have airweight J-frames, HOW THE H**L CAN YOU STAND TO SHOOT THEM?!?!?!? Even if it is .38 why would u want to shoot that for fun or defense out of a gun that is so lightweaight. IMO the .38 is a terrible defense round and how can one control it in such a light gun. Go for the all stainless you get better control with and without magnum rounds. Just to clarify the only time I would actually like to shoot .38 is in an all stainless revolver on a shooting range, never for defense. When I get my revolver and carry for defense its .357 all the way and on the range .38 target loads.

I somewhat enjoy the challenge my "original" Airweight presents. Not uncomfortable to shoot at all as far as pain goes, either. The grip can be awkward (I'm a Big Boy) until you figure it out, but it's really quite a capable platform, IMHO, even out to "across the street" distances.

I typically don't carry my full size 1911 during the summer months. It's easy to conceal with a big, billowy Hawaiian shirt, but there's few days I'll wear one of those. I'm a t-shirt and jeans guy.

I started carrying the 1911 about a week ago, since the weather has cooled down. I've been carrying the Makarov or the Kahr K40 all summer, so I've got to get used to the weight of old slab sides again. Happens every Fall.

Honestly I feel more prepared with the 1911 on my hip than with any other gun I've ever carried. I've been shooting them for longer than any other handgun. And c'mon, you just can't argue with .45acp.
Well, I'm sure Jose with his .44 magnum will win that argument, but you know what I mean. [wink]

BTW, if the Makarov had the mag release of the PPK series guns, the former would have obscured the latter long ago. 10 times the gun at half the price, IMO.

In all honesty, I will take six 125 grain .357 Magnums over just about anything else. There is something to be said about a 125 grain projectile travelling at over 1400 fps.

Good point Jose.

This past Saturday I bought a 20-round box of Federal HP .357 for my 6" stainless S&W 66, which I never carry. I'm going rabbit hunting with a friend in VT this winter and plan on carrying it then. You can never be too careful around those wasscly wabbits.

In all honesty, I will take six 125 grain .357 Magnums over just about anything else. There is something to be said about a 125 grain projectile travelling at over 1400 fps.

Jose, I hate you man. Now I have to get a bigger wheel gun, and it's your fault.

Back
Top Bottom