ANyone change CCW seasonally?

Good point Jose.

This past Saturday I bought a 20-round box of Federal HP .357 for my 6" stainless S&W 66, which I never carry. I'm going rabbit hunting with a friend in VT this winter and plan on carrying it then. You can never be too careful around those wasscly wabbits.

Do you want to eat the rabbits? [laugh]

Now, if you want a smoking load for your 686, try Buffalo Bore's 125 gr JHP. 1700 fps from a 6" gun. [shocked]

Last edited by a moderator:
I shot the M&P340ct which weighs 13.3 oz vs. 23 oz which is the 640. When I shot the M&P340 I thought to myself I mind as well shoot the round off in my f***ing hand. My hand hurt all the next day after just one cylinder of .357.

But for those who do have airweight J-frames, HOW THE H**L CAN YOU STAND TO SHOOT THEM?!?!?!? Even if it is .38 why would u want to shoot that for fun or defense out of a gun that is so lightweaight. IMO the .38 is a terrible defense round and how can one control it in such a light gun. Go for the all stainless you get better control with and without magnum rounds. Just to clarify the only time I would actually like to shoot .38 is in an all stainless revolver on a shooting range, never for defense. When I get my revolver and carry for defense its .357 all the way and on the range .38 target loads.
[wink]!

I have a stainless bodyguard (38+p) as well as the m&p 340 (357).
These are guns that require patience and practice. If you are coming from a semi, it is a completely different platform, it is just not the same. With these in particular, you need to really pay attention to your grip, it is not instantantly natural for most people. You have to make your hand(s) learn how to hold the gun. And then repeat, repeat, repeat until the muscle memory takes. Then you also have to be mindful of squeezing, too much or too little and you will not hit the target and your hands will quickly hurt. And then a lot of practice.. But, I find it worth while. I really like to shoot these guns.

The 38spl has been in use for close to 100 years. In service of personal protection, police and military. it has been proven to be an effective round for a long time. Technology may have changed a lot but, people have not developed armored skin in that time. It is the same round being used on the same targets. And with any revolver, you have to place your shot, you only have X bullets in the gun, the spray and then reload method is right out.

One well placed 38 or 357 round is infinitely better than 10 misses..

I would like to see some load data for that round! I thought I was hot with 110 gr at 1600 fps!

It's a factory load, I doubt Tim Sundles (Buffalo Bore's owner) is willing to share it.

However, Hodgdon has some nice ones:

125 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon H4227 .357" 1.590" 18.0 1692 34,400 CUP 20.0 1839 42,000 CUP

125 GR. HDY XTP Winchester 296 .357" 1.590" 21.0 1881 38,400 CUP 22.0 1966 41,400 CUP

125 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon H110 .357" 1.590" 21.0 1881 38,400 CUP 22.0 1966 41,400 CUP

I believe these are out of a 7 or 8 inch barrel, so 1700 should be doable with a 6 incher.

I change it up based on comfort with what I'm wearing, not necessarily due to weather, have certain types of holsters for each gun, ideally, would get more holsters... (and more guns)

To date, I've only carried a 442 IWB. I'm going to try carrying my G23 as it gets colder, provided I can find a good holster. The Desantis I bought just seems too bulky.

I only have my Beretta 92 so I dont change. I probably wouldnt change even if I had more guns. With my holster and belt, I can pretty much conceal wearing anything but the tight A&F shirts

Summertime I typically carry a Keltec P3AT as it's easier to pocket carry and doesn't print at all when wearing shorts and a t shirt. Colder weather I cary a Kahr PM9. A little bigger and thicker then the Keltec, but still easy to pocket carry.

In warmer months i carry G26 or G27 IWC or P238 or Micro Eagle in the pocket.
Colder time of the year HK 45 USP compact or G23 or G30 IWC and P238 or Micro Eagle Pocket carry.
but honestly I try to use all pistols that i have so i carry most of my collection.
;)

Back
Top Bottom