• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone carrying a Para Subcompact 1911?

I'm looking for a new carry gun as I have a few but am looking for a 1911. I shoot mostly 1911's and prefer everything about them over other guns. I would love to get a Kimber compact but that isn't happening in this great state! Anyways was thinking of getting a single stack LDA carry 1911 and para seems to be the only real option. Does anyone have one and what are your thoughts on it? I wouldn't get the Double stack Warthog because it is just too wide. I want something around 24 oz to compare to a Glock 26. Help me decide. I had a Para SSP 1911 before and never had any issues with it and it was always a great gun.

Pete

Hi Pete,
i presently carry a para Lda single stack .45. I recommend you fire a few rounds with one before you purchase as the trigger is a bit different than what is normal from a 1911.

I've shot the LDA triggers before and it was a love/hate relationship. The long reset takes getting use to for me but I really like the idea of the LDA for carry. I want to compare to the Warthog slim vs. the LDA Slim.

carry the brazos[smile]

just get a J-frame, throw it in your pocket.

I have one but I want something else. I want something I can be confident with and that just doesn't cut it.

How was practice Wed. night? I was all set to go and ended up selling a large job and had to stay late. I'll be there this week though.

You shooting on Sunday?

I have one but I want something else. I want something I can be confident with and that just doesn't cut it.

How was practice Wed. night? I was all set to go and ended up selling a large job and had to stay late. I'll be there this week though.

You shooting on Sunday?

Are you not confident in the gun/round or the use of it? They can be a bitch to shoot, but no worse than a small 1911.

Wed practice was good, over 15 people showed up We set up 4 US poppers at distance with a good amount of paper. The poppers were kickin everyones ass. I was shootin the 625 for a change of pace.

I won't be there Sunday.. I have to sacrifice this match inorder to have the wardens blessing on other bigger matches

I bought a Para .45 LDA Carry Model and I'm not a happy camper. I don't like the LDA trigger; its too light. The problem is that you can't tell when the trigger resets, so short stroking is a problem. I have been told the only way to fire this pistol is to release the trigger to the point that your finger leaves it on every shot. This is not the way I have trained for the last 30 years, and I don't intend to change.

Another problem is reliability and customer support. The slide cracked at the muzzle after about 500 rounds of Federal jacketed 230 gr round nosed ammo. When I spoke with their customer service rep he said "they would take a look at the gun" to see if it was covered under warantee. They fixed it, but it cost me $30 in phone bills and $60 in shipping costs. This brought the final cost of the Para to $910, and I still don't trust it, or them. I am not sure that they will replace the slide should it crack again. The slide is cast and I have never been a fan of cast slides.

I guess I have been spoiled by S&W's customer service. They have backed their products unconditionally and solved all of the problems I have encountered (relatively few) with my S&Ws without hesitation or reservation. I can't wait until the M&P compact .45 comes out.

There are other good choices out there. For instance you might look for sub-compact XDs (I see 9mm and .40s occasionally, but the .45 is fairly new) for sale in MA by private parties. They offer a similar (or same) grip angle as the 1911, with the reliability of a Glock, and 13 rounds of .45 ACP with the grip extension, or 10 without.

It's not a 1911, but could be a better choice for sub-compact carry.

Last edited:
I guess I'll be a voice of dissension. I have a ParaCarry LDA 6.45 and have been carrying it for a few years now. I bought it to replace my Colt Defender which was becoming unreliable and after replacing springs and finding zero customer support at Colt. After ammo changes, spring changes and continual jams, I no longer had confidence in it and frankly didn't have the time or energy to tinker with it. So off it went.

I had initially been looking at Glocks for compact carry, but when I ran into a ParaCarry, it was quickly apparent I had found my gun. I find the trigger pull to be awesome and was surprised it was mass-compliant. Sure it's a longer pull than a standard 1911, but it's funny how range time clears that up... [wink]

I have had zero malfunctions of any kind and up until I bought my 642, shot it nearly every other day. The only problem I had with ParaOrdinance customer service, was when I called about magazines. Oddly enough, my 6.45, came with both a six and seven round magazine, (so I guess it's now a half 7.45). The 7-round mag has a finger extension which I love and I wanted another one. Customer service was clueless as to what I was talking about and suggested I call Brownells...hehehe. It's a surprisingly accurate gun as well once you find the right fodder. I'm strictly using Remington Golden Sabre 185's and practice with Winchester 185 FMJ, but it will gobble up anything. It's a robust gun and heavy for it's size, (which I think is a good thing). I like it far better than the Warthog which handles and carrys like a fat tomato in my opinion.

I realize others may have had problems with ParaOrdinance customer support and there's a thread on here that details some major issues. However, this is the internet, (where glowing reviews are rarely made and often ignored) and my bet is that there's far more people that have no issues with customer support - simply because they have not needed it.
My Para is and has been 110%

I'll be bringing it to an upcoming shoot and will give all comers a chance to wring it out...

I've had the Glock 26's and 27's and several other subcompact pistols that I just don't like at all. I'm a 1911 shooter and the grip angle on the Glock pistols is just not right for me. I'll def. pick up an M&P compact when they're avail. but have always wanted a 1911 for carry. Maybe I'll just pick one up and see if I like it or not. If not I can always just resell it.

Pete

I've had the Glock 26's and 27's and several other subcompact pistols that I just don't like at all. I'm a 1911 shooter and the grip angle on the Glock pistols is just not right for me. I'll def. pick up an M&P compact when they're avail. but have always wanted a 1911 for carry. Maybe I'll just pick one up and see if I like it or not. If not I can always just resell it.

Pete

I'd be surprised if you were disappointed....Good luck!

The Glock 26 was a great gun but since I shoot 1911's all the time I just had a tough time with the grip angle. The gun was easy to shoot and was very reliable but my point of aim always had to be adjusted to get proper sight alignment. Out of all the mini guns I've had this was the best. I'll def. pick up an M&P compact as I LOVE the M&P pistols. In the mean time I'm thinking of getting a Para for carry.

I'm looking for a new carry gun as I have a few but am looking for a 1911. I shoot mostly 1911's and prefer everything about them over other guns. I would love to get a Kimber compact but that isn't happening in this great state! Anyways was thinking of getting a single stack LDA carry 1911 and para seems to be the only real option. Does anyone have one and what are your thoughts on it? Pete

Pete,
Consider the S&W 3rd generation semi autos like the 3913, or Chief's special 45. I bought a Para LDA C7.45 that I figured to be the perfect carry gun (and I did a lot of research). It was small, and a bit on the heavy side, but with the LDA trigger I felt comfortable carrying it. Only thing is it never made it past my "testing" to give me enough confidence in it's reliability to put it into service. I love the gun, but I can't get it to shoot reliable enough to consider carrying. I had terrible luck with all hollow points except the PMC Starfire which are almost like ball ammo in their design. Plain old 230gr ball ammo is the only thing I could ever get to shoot 50 rounds in a row without jamming. That's way below my threshold of acceptability. I was told by the local gunsmith down here that single-stack Paras with ramped barrels just couldn't be made super reliable unless you shot ball ammo. I ended up calling Cylinder & Slide in Nebraska and they said they could make it 100% reliable but it would cost around $400 and take about 6 months. No thanks. So now I have a gun that I really like, but don't use because other than as a carry gun it has no useful purpose to me. Do yourself a favor, get a S&W titanium revo and put laser grips on it. They shoot straight, are nice and light and the Crimson Trace grips are terrific. Or, consider a S&W singlestack auto. I have a double stack 6906 in 9mm that is awesome. It's not a tack driver, but is 100% reliable with anything I have ever fed it. I think the single stack is a 3913 or something like that.
-Cuz.

I have a single stack para-carry LDA and love it. It's a little heavy for pants pocket carry, but I've managed. The right holster or a Sig-Tac jacket works great. Mine is reliable, accurate, and comfortable to shoot, given it's small size. I do use ball ammo.

Last edited:
I Love Mine!

I've been carrying the Para OPS, which is a single stack, commander-sized pistol. I consider it a sub-compact, because my pinky is almost falling off of it and i have super small hands, and its about the size of my XD sub-compact, but a lot thinner. I love it, it works great. It didn't like feeding hollowpoints out of the box, but after about 300 rounds that problem went away. It is heavy (stainless) but it conceals better than my XD subcompact due to thickness, so I carry it a lot. Plus it still holds 7+1 of .45 ACP.

I may hold off on the Para and buy a Dillon 1050. I would get more use out of the 1050 so I think it might be the smart choice. I can always carry my J-Frame when needed. Hmmmmm, well I'll check the Paras out when I go to the shop this week but will prob. just wait.

I have a Para ops (one of dvajda's extras) Cant say enough about it and has become my primary carry gun. Also with the warmer weather, and less bulk, it conceals very well. It's thin and holds nice and tight to the body. Nearly as concealable as my jframe. Good luck

I carried a Para P10, the predecessor to the Warthog. As I've said repeatedly, the muzzle blast from factory hardball was making me start to flinch. But I love it's somewhat bigger brother, the P12 .45. It's a stainless gun, so it's got some heft to it, especially when stoked with 13 rounds of hardball! I have carried it from time to time, but since I can't carry at work, I don't carry it a whole lot.

Personally, I have no problems whatsoever with carrying that gun - it's utterly reliable... accurate, too. Kinda fun breaking clay pigeons at 50 yards with it.

Pete,
I have and carry Para myself. Though I haven't actually shot the LDA, I have tried the trigger in the store a few times, and didn't like it. It's FAR bit different from a 1911 trigger. If you shoot a standard 1911 and shoot it well, I would stick with the 1911.

Here is a pic of my para carry rig.

Adam

Para002.jpg

+1.... IMO if I was going to carry a 1911, that'd be pretty much at the top of the list, after a stiff reliability test.-Mike

+1 I have a black(blue?) 1911sc(pd) commander size and I carried it for a year or so...loved it..carries great. But carrying it daily has started to cause some wear spots on the black(blue) slide so I put it away for a while, and am back to carrying my S&W CS45....which is equally good to carry. However I prefer the 1911 action to the TDA of the CS45.

The 1911sc is without a doubt the best shooting, most reliable gun I've had.

I'm going to have to get a full stainless one for carry. [smile]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom