Anyone Carry in a Bathing Suit?

So summer is upon us, and this will be the first summer that I'll be doing any water activities in a place I could legally carry. That may include beaches, river floats, water parks, etc..

I worked out that my Ruger LC9s in a DeSantis pocket holster fits nicely in my swim shorts cargo pocket. Also those fit snugly inside a sandwich bag. My thinking was to carry condition 3 so I wouldn't have to be worried about being active or it shifting. Just a weird carry mode, so that would be better for peace of mind. My thinking isn't so much for mugging or confrontation, but 'ISIS hits water park' type of thing...

Anyway I'm curious if anyone has carried in water in a bathing suit. Looking for anything to look out for. Water is the obvious hurdle. I wouldn't care about the gun getting wet but I've confirmed that prolonged submersion effects my carry ammo, hence the sandwich bag.

I carry in a bathing suit all of the time. I pocket carry in the cargo pocket. I keep away from the water. Biggest hurdle is that the shorts tend to fall down because I can only get the shorts to tie only so tight. So I had to relocate my wallet and cell phone from my pants pockets to reduce the weight on the shorts.

Last edited:
An NES'er posted that he carried a Seecamp 32 under his belly fat while at a nude beach.

During low tide, you can always hide it inside a clam bag.

Heading to nude beach.jpg

I love the commitment. And I don't fault you at all...just the thought of a half dozens jihadis with AKs storming Water Country and you're all, "wait! I've got a LC9 in my pocket! Lemme just get it out of the ziplock bag...DAMN IT, my hands are wet, can someone open this for me?!" made me chuckle.

I can see the need to carry at the beach just like anywhere else, but carrying in the water is a bit much. Walking down the boardwalk at Hampton Beach you could run into an altercation whether a drunk assaulting you or a mugging.

I can see the need to carry at the beach just like anywhere else, but carrying in the water is a bit much. Walking down the boardwalk at Hampton Beach you could run into an altercation whether a drunk assaulting you or a mugging.

What would a mugger take from someone only wearing swimwear? If there is any doubt, wear a Speedo so it is pretty cleat nothing is worth stealing.

What would a mugger take from someone only wearing swimwear? If there is any doubt, wear a Speedo so it is pretty cleat nothing is worth stealing.

I wear some pretty expensive swim trunks, but mostly just go Borat style.

image-39221-web.jpg

Wouldn't you want a hammerless model for a snag free draw?

It would depend if you have a tactical balloon knot, mine for example has mollie Web since I was born an operator.

In all seriousness though. My p226 fires under water after several minutes completely submerged, and it always seems to work when I get caught in the rain on my motor cycle. It just sucks having to swap out expensive PD ammo for fresh stuff when it does get wet. But I would think it foolish not to.

If the day ever comes when I will have to worry about carrying at a water park, or a beach because of ISIS, then I 1) won't be going there, or 2) will be open carrying an AK/AR, etc. CCing an handgun may make you "feel good", but isn't going to do shit if things get that serious.

I carry in a baiting suit all of the time. I pocket carry in the cargo pocket. I keep away from the water. Biggest hurdle is that the shorts tend to fall down because I can only get the shorts to tie only so tight. So I had to relocate my wallet and cell phone from my pants pockets to reduce the weight on the shorts.

you should get some suspenders [laugh]
Men's_Lycra_Shorts_With_Buckle_Suspenders.jpg

I love the commitment. And I don't fault you at all...just the thought of a half dozens jihadis with AKs storming Water Country and you're all, "wait! I've got a LC9 in my pocket! Lemme just get it out of the ziplock bag...DAMN IT, my hands are wet, can someone open this for me?!" made me chuckle.

Ya obviously not a very fight-worthy setup. When I say it's for ISIS at Water Country, I'm thinking book it for the nearest exterior fence and jump it. The gun would just be a last-ditch type of thing. I'm just not a fan of being unarmed regardless. The plastic bag is easy to rip off. The issue is more that the LC9 is clearly not a "go-to-war gun".

For the people saying they wouldn't carry in water, I don't know why not. Personally I'd rather it be a Glock just because it's easy to strip it down to every last part to clean the water out, but even the LC9s should have any trouble as long as it gets cleaned later.

Right, but if you are carrying at the beach and are going to go into the water, what would you do with your gun when you went into the water? Leave it in a beach bag or under the towel buried in the sand? If you're going so far as to carry in your bathing suit, then carrying into the water shouldn't be that big of a stretch.

I carry when cycling and have my P3AT in a small zip lock bag. On hot days I might as well be swimming and the gun is perfectly fine. Have to imagine the same would hold true if I actually went swimming with it. Though personally I don't carry when at the beach. Probably one of the few times I don't and to be honest, I don't like the feeling I get if I think about it long enough. If you make the commitment to carry all the time, those times you don't can leave you feeling "naked".....

LOL. I used to spend one night a week at hampton every week over a summer and the "worst" thing I encountered there other than seeing some white trash here and there was some middle aged woman get arrested for DUI. The street I live on in Fitchburg is 100 times more dangerous than Hampton beach is. (and this is a mostly docile neighborhood I live in, at least this end of it. ).

I'm not saying "don't carry". Hell I had my gun with me every night I was up there. Never got remotely close to needing it, though.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom