• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone camping/backpacking

Just curious who's out backpacking this year and where you're all going. I picked up some new gear over the winter and just started hiking again last weekend with a trip up monadnock. I'm looking to check a few more 4000'ers of the list this season. I haven't done a good back country overnight in a while though. The last one was out to Sawyer Pond in the whites a couple years ago. I've got a night later this month that I'm planning to get out and I'm always up for suggestions on where to go.

I loved Andy in NH's thread and I think it was Allahsnackbar's thread where he went out and did an overnighter in the rough by himself, I plan on doing something like that myself in the Fall, Id love to get a group and go someplace in NH and "Rough it" for a night or two. The reason I want to wait until the leaves change is I cannot stand the freaking mosquitos and black flies, they were out in force in the North Conway area when we opened up our camp a few weeks ago

Just curious who's out backpacking this year and where you're all going. I picked up some new gear over the winter and just started hiking again last weekend with a trip up monadnock. I'm looking to check a few more 4000'ers of the list this season. I haven't done a good back country overnight in a while though. The last one was out to Sawyer Pond in the whites a couple years ago. I've got a night later this month that I'm planning to get out and I'm always up for suggestions on where to go.

Have a late start this year but I'll be back up Monadnock a few more time this year. The kids want to do a sunrise hike (i.e. getting to the top before the sun comes up) so that will be fun

The Great Gulf trail that winds its way up to Mt Washington is a good hike and there is a couple of options to drop a tent - at the bluff a couple of miles in, a couple of hard to find tent sites another few miles in or you can cutoff near the start of the trail to the Osgood site which has tent platforms. It is a great hike, but the trail has been left mostly 'natural' and less maintained overall

Have had it in my mind to hit the 13 falls campsite in the Pemi Wilderness as it is 8 miles in and 8 miles out - but I hear there a bunch of amazing waterholes to swim in near the campsite - that is on my punch list over the next couple of years for an overnighter

If you want to hit a couple of 4000 footers quickly, the Old bridle Path that goes over Lafayette, Lincoln and Little Haystack and down falling waters trail is a spectacular day hike with great views and a nice ridge like trail inbetween the mountains

My wife and I have tent camped for over 35 years both with our kids and alone. We spend the bulk of our camping time up on Maine but this year we're going to hit the southern VT areas a bit harder. We're going to be camping on the Battenkill in order to do some serious fly-fishing for a couple of days. We typically go further into the summer in September to avoid the crowds but I don't think it's going to be that crowded there. Also, any of the great state parks in VT are good bases for hikes or fishing especially Jamaica State Park. Right up off of Rt 9 right on the West River. Very nicely run and clean and quiet. Fishing there is always great, too.

If, however, you would like the ultimate in tent camping, head up to Lubec Maine and camp at Cobscook State Park right on the bay of Fundy. I can't explain how gorgeous it is there and how private and peaceful it is. I sat in a camp chair in the middle of the day and it was so quiet I could literally hear a pin drop. I even tested it. Check it out but it is a very long drive.

Rome

Allow me to also ad that for something really different, go to the Delaware Water Gap and camp right on the Delaware River. Really beautiful there, too.

i've been trying to hike all the NH 4000 footers list...got a bunch of people that i usually hike with...a few are casual hikers and a few want to get all the 4000 footers like me...i've been doing day hikes to bag as many peaks as i can but i'm getting to the point where i'm going to have to do overnights to get most of the others since some of them are a little out there

Last edited:
IMO the best backpack in New England is in Baxter State Park in Maine. Get away from Katahdin and you have the park to yourself most of the time. Go in August or September to stay away from the bugs.

Back
Top Bottom