• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone buy anything off Gunbroker?

Cur

NES Member
I know I need to to have them send it to a FFL, and there's usually a charge. I'm just a bit worried about potential shenanigans.

Can I use one in NH since I live in Tyngsboro? I know Four Seasons in Woburn, and they are very near work. Do I just call them up and say I'm buying something off the web? Are most gun stores pretty open to doing this business or is it a pain in the ass type thing?

Any info for this newbie would be appreciated!

Buying a handgun across state lines is not allowed.

If you live in MA you need to have handguns shipped to a MA FFL.

The same isn't true for long guns. You can have those shipped to a NH FFL but when you enter the state you have to make sure they don't fall into the assault weapon category.
You then need to file an FA10 to register the firearm in MA.

So call up a MA FFL and tell them you want to have something shipped there. They will tell you the fee, likely ask what you are having shipped (to make sure they'll actually let you receive it) and then when it's in you will go and pick it up.

Show up in person and let them know you'd like them to receive and transfer something you've bought to you. You can buy long guns out of state but not handguns.

Just ask what the transfer fee is.
Either way I'd find an FFL in my state of residence just to minimize any potential hassels.
(Read misinformed opinions.)

There are no potential shenanigans if you deal with reputable sellers or other dealers. Lots of big gun stores are on gunbroker. Look at the seller ratings, etc.

Just make sure that when you transfer something into MA, you clear it with the MA FFL ahead of time to avoid any potential problems. A "bounce" could cost you a lot of money. Hell, this goes for any dealer regardless of location. There are some dealers that do not like doing transfers on stuff they otherwise sell themselves, so keep that in mind. Find dealers that are always doing transfers. You'll get a better rate and less hassle.

-Mike

Like any online auction, there are good people and bad people... Check your info, check your sellers...

Check with your preferred FFL before you do this, but for the most part, they seem fine with doing the transfer and collecting their fee. There is a link to the "FFL network" on GB that will give you a rough idea who will do the transfer and what they will charge.

As above, you need to be aware of crossing state lines with hand-guns (a no-no), you need to take delivery of handguns from an FFL in your state. The FFLs will have to handle the transfer of them. Long guns are different, though many seem to want to transfer through FFLs to avoid buyer shenanigans as well...

As always caveat emptor, but I've had no issues and made several purchases with good results...

There is a link to the "FFL network" on GB that will give you a rough idea who will do the transfer and what they will charge.

Sorry - what is GB?

(Edit - never mind, I'm a dork.)

Make sure to get a copy of the FFL's license. Most sellers will require a copy sent to them with payment so they can verify that where ever you are having them send it is a REAL licensed dealer. The dealer will not have a problem giving you a copy they have to do it all the time for transfers.

Are there any differences or preferences between GunsAmerica and GunBroker from the perspective of a buyer?

Is one better or easier to deal through?

Number 6

I used both Gunbroker and GunsAmerica. no problems just make sure that you negotiate especially with sellers on GunsAmerica and even on Gunbroker if item not sell most of the time they are willing to drop the price. I always due...

What are the relevant issues when it comes to buying ammo on Gunbroker? As long as it is a person to person sale it should be fine I assume, but . . . and I have to ask, sorry, can they ship it to me in MA?? Anybody have luck with this? I've seen decent prices here and there.

What are the relevant issues when it comes to buying ammo on Gunbroker? As long as it is a person to person sale it should be fine I assume, but . . . and I have to ask, sorry, can they ship it to me in MA?? Anybody have luck with this? I've seen decent prices here and there.

Issue No.1, satisfy their requests , usually some kind of disclaimer form.
Issue No.2, If you find an individual or vendor willing to ship to you do NOT post their ID online !

<snip>I believe its against the mass low.

No such law is on the books. Please do a search or spend some time in the Gun Laws section. This has been discussed to death a kabillion times here.

they will not ship ammunition to mass. I believe its against the mass low.

Like the guy in the "shoulder thing that goes up" video, of epic fame...

"No, it's not."

The AG is a douche, however, and tries to assert that, despite the fact that
her assertion violates various commonly accepted interpretations of interstate
commerce. (eg, FOB, etc).

-Mike

The last time I ordered ammo online it was through a dealer on GB. Before I ordered I called and asked him if he would ship to MA. His answer was "Why the hell wouldn't I?" I faxed him the documentation he requested and he shipped promptly.

No laws were broken, no children or small furry animals were harmed as a result of the transaction. [wink]

I have bought used handguns from Gun Broker, Guns America, and Auction Arms. I have a great local shop that will accept the weapons for a fee. I stress that they were used handguns, I don't believe the local guy would be happy if I bought new guns from these sites that he sold in his shop.

It is critical that you check the feed back on the guy selling the weapon that you are interested in. I have to admit when I send out the money, I get a queasy feeling, though I have been lucky so far.[grin]

of location. There are some dealers that do not like doing transfers on stuff they otherwise sell themselves, so keep that in mind. Find dealers that are always doing transfers. You'll get a better rate and less hassle.

-Mike

Yes, and some dealers do not work for the sale....just wait to see what happens. My local FFL got upset when I ordered a Uberti through Guns America and had it sent to him. He told me that he also sells Uberti. Had him do a check on that model....none available. Had to place an order and wait.

Additional.....ordered through my local FFL a Marlin 39-A. None available...backordered. OK, no problem. This was April. In August I checked again. Still no word. Got disgusted and went to a different dealer.

This dealer spent online and phone time with me sitting there and watching the process. Found several. I ordered one for me and one for my wife. Had them a week later. What my local normal FFL could not do in four months, a different dealer did in one day....just took a little work and searching. Some dealers are content to just place an order with a distributor and let it sit. Others actively go out and look for what the customer wants.

Needless to say, the FFL I normally did business with has slipped in my "confidence quotient". [wink]

Last edited:
I just ordered a handgun off of Gun Broker. Here was my procedure:

1. Bid on firearm

2. Won Auction

3. Contacted Seller

4. Contacted my FFL

5. Sent Check or Money Oder to Seller

6. Contacted my FFL again with sellers information (phone/fax/address)

7. Got email confirmation with tracking number from seller (this confirms that my FFL sent appropriate fax to seller)

8. Following shipment online.

9. Waiting for a phone call from my FFL with new toy.

You have to sign up with Gun Broker and have a credit card on file to bid.

+1

the most important item on your list is to discuss this with your FFL

and get their buy in of transfering the firearm to you. Don't do the

NH thing its gets messy.

If you choose 4 Seasons you should do well with Carl and Co.

JimB

1. Bid on firearm

2. Won Auction

3. Contacted Seller

4. Contacted my FFL

7. Got email confirmation with tracking number from seller (this confirms that my FFL sent appropriate fax to seller)

so......What did you buy?

1. Bid on firearm

2. Won Auction

3. Contacted Seller

4. Contacted my FFL

If I could make one suggestion: My first item to accomplish would have been Talk to FFL about sale.
2. Ask if he will accept the item and send his FFL to the seller.
3. Bid on item.........and hope you win...[smile]

If I could make one suggestion: My first item to accomplish would have been Talk to FFL about sale.
2. Ask if he will accept the item and send his FFL to the seller.
3. Bid on item.........and hope you win...[smile]

Yup. I understand what your saying. I just listed how I accomplished my transaction.

I wouldn't call my FFL every time I bid on an item though. But you are correct to establish a relationship with your FFL so other transactions become smooth ones.

Back
Top Bottom