• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone been to fsguns lately?

Always used to buy from them many, many years ago, but Moved to Stoneham and found Collectors Gallery in Stoneham to be cheaper for ammo prices. Like $5 bucks a box lower for 9mm, when there wasn’t a panic and $10-$20 less for a brick of CCI standard velocity, again pre-panic prices.
WTF?????? [laugh]

Last edited:
And that good sir is exactly how the capital markets function day after day
The difference is the capital markets quickly adjust to what the buyers are willing to pay, though I suppose the consignment counter is much like a sell order at a higher than current market price in the financial markets.

Collectors is cheaper than 4 seasons for Ammo? Wtf? Every time I walk into Collectors I see overpriced ammo from the 80s that has been repriced a dozen times

Lol the only thing that I have ever gotten from Collector's is the stink eye. I get the impression they don't like selling guns.
CG hasn't been the same since Jack passed. Not even close. So very sad. But they were never the place to go for cheap ammo. What's that all about? [slap]

Lol the only thing that I have ever gotten from Collector's is the stink eye. I get the impression they don't like selling guns.

And that good sir is the plain & simple reason that Four Seasons has been so successful. When one spends ~$1000 on a gun, ammo, maybe some hearing protection one does not wish to get the stink eye or talked down to. It's amazing how many FFLs don't get that.

No one needs to wonder why even though the physical space is small Four Seasons is the #1 shop in Mass and perhaps NE.

Do you mean "overprices" or "charges fair market value"?

I trust you won't overprice for you house by asking market price when it is time to sell.
It's up to the buyer to decide what their willing to pay for something. Their getting the kind of money for them then good for them. That's good business. Most people simply don't know or understand the laws in this state. (Frankly I don't really blame anyone for not understanding many of the laws in this state). If I'm going to move guns (or a house for that matter) yes I want as much as I can get for it. If someone asks me my opinion on the price of something or if it's worth it then I tell them what I think. But I always state that its up to them if their willing to pay for it.

They always been great with me. Their ammo prices had been decent on some things, I remember getting blazer 45 acp for $17 a box (pre panic). I was able to buy an LNIB .44 desert eagle with a LNIB laser devices/aimpoint module for $1199. I bought a used Remington 870 with top folding choate with 7+1 and heat shield for $225. Every once in awhile they have good deals.

I wanted to stop by there to see their inventory, I probably haven’t been there in like two years. I drove by there like two weeks ago and there was a line 6 people hanging outside. I just kept driving

It's up to the buyer to decide what their willing to pay for something. Their getting the kind of money for them then good for them. That's good business. Most people simply don't know or understand the laws in this state. (Frankly I don't really blame anyone for not understanding many of the laws in this state). If I'm going to move guns (or a house for that matter) yes I want as much as I can get for it. If someone asks me my opinion on the price of something or if it's worth it then I tell them what I think. But I always state that its up to them if their willing to pay for it.
Sometimes it's bad business. So you made a quick profit and maybe I paid. Down the road when things return to normal I'm going to remember who jacked up the prices more than they should have. Most shops are uping prices to MSRP and I'm ok with that. It's the ones raising prices even higher than that that I'll remember.

Same here
Actually I’m OK with shops charging more than MSRP. You have to remember that a shop has certain fixed costs that it can’t avoid (rent, heat, insurance, etc). Those fixed costs have to be covered for them to stay in business. With the current squeeze on product availability, the shops need to recover these fixed costs across a much smaller number of individual sales than they normally would. Simple example, let’s say a shop has fixed costs of $2500 a month. In “normal times" they could get and sell 100 guns a month, so to cover their fixed costs the need to add $25 to their purchase price. Now maybe they can only get 25 guns a month, that means they need to add $100 to their purchase price to cover their fixed costs. For smaller shops that don’t get volume discounts, that kind of math could well push them over the MSRP. Bigger shops might be able to take a short term loss, but the little guy running hand to mouth needs to maintain his cash flow. And this example assumes no profit and no salaries for anyone (not even the owner).

Theres small shops making it out there now w/o bending people over. It’s how people treat you in shitty times that’s sticks with you- good or bad.

It's the people who don't have repeat business issues - like those advertising primers at over $100/K on NES that have the luxury of treating it like a house sale rather than part of an ongoing relationship that needs to be maintained. In the "relationship department" it can be better public relations for a shop to be out of $45 primers than have $150 primers in stock, though the later is actually offering a choice and the former is not.

It's the people who don't have repeat business issues - like those advertising primers at over $100/K on NES that have the luxury of treating it like a house sale rather than part of an ongoing relationship that needs to be maintained. In the "relationship department" it can be better public relations for a shop to be out of $45 primers than have $150 primers in stock, though the later is actually offering a choice and the former is not.

I think it's a delicate balancing act honestly depending on the type of customer being courted etcetera. Having nothing in the long term can be just as damaging as being a cosby impersonator. I will also confess on the other side for ditching a shop for shit pricing but only if it was horrendously bad across the board. Even some of my favorite gun shops are high on some items.

I do have to laugh at the piety in this thread though about how certain people are all like uppity about whatever a given shop charges, etc. Even the fan favorites like FS do the 40 pound box of rape trick on some items. People should just opt out if the price is bad. It's not personal. It's business.

And the customer is better off without profiteers.
Lol who gets to define profiteering?

Also i guarantee you that your favorite shop has "profiteered" off you at some point or another but apparently its ok as long as you -feel- like you got a good deal...

Lol who gets to define profiteering?

Also i guarantee you that your favorite shop has "profiteered" off you at some point or another but apparently its ok as long as you -feel- like you got a good deal...
It's funny if it's guns and ammo it's ok. But talk about a car dealer and everyone has a different view.

It's funny if it's guns and ammo it's ok. But talk about a car dealer and everyone has a different view.
The fundamental difference is that for the most part the gun dealer does not spend a considerable amount of time with the customer to attempt to determine the absolute maximum that one customer will pay.

Car dealers would not have the bad rep if:
  • They competed on price, but just put the price on their cars and ads and did not customize the price for each customer. Price customization is not being done to get you the best deal possible, but the worst deal you will accept.

• They did not engage in scare stories and high pressure sales to add high profit margin items to the sale. I've never heard a gun shop salesman say "I wouldn't let my best friend out of here without selling him out special holster and cleaning kit".

• Sales people just took orders at the advertised price and were not on commission.
I'm not talking about the failed "Saturn Price" where there was collusion for all dealers to sell at MSRP, but actual competition where dealers court customers with actual price competition - like gun stores do (or at least do in normal times)

* - Note that car dealers NEVER have sales. They are always "sales events", "sellathons", etc. because calling something a sale involves some truth in advertising issues about actually having lower than normal prices.

My only gripe with 4 seasons is when the S&W Victory .22 first came out 4 Season's web page said to call and reserve one and they'd call back when they got them in.
I called and the guy said they were way too busy to take reservations for guns.
I'm kind of glad it worked out that way because I ended up finding one in-stock at Collector's for $75 less.
I purchased my Victory for $300 in Four Season six month ago and also couple of my friends. But situation changed dramatically since that time. If you could sell something for $100 you wouldn't give it for less. This store is most busy in MA as I noticed and some prices higher then in other stores. That's true but that is business my friend.

Figured I'd chime in again. Went there yesterday, pre-registered the night before, waited outside maybe 5-10 minutes, inside asked for the clerk what I was there for, in-stock!, 20 minutes later left with it.

Whole time I was there people were buying and looking with all sorts of help from the counter. Counter people were polite, courteous and in no rush seeming to take an interest in that person's questions and goals. Over heard lots of questions and lots of good answers.

One thing I've noticed they make the buying process easy, they've got stock and want to sell. Some guns shops seem to have little stock and little impetuous to sell with the counter help just sitting passively not asking buyers questions about what the buyer is looking for. Or even why the buyer is there.

Are they the cheapest? No idea, why cause they seem to be the only ones with stock to sell. It's no longer "I want x in y caliber" for the buyer it's now what do they have that fits my needs.

Would easily go there again to buy and it's a 45 min ride for me each way.

Last edited:
I always liked Four Seasons. It was like a deli, but once I got to the counter the guys were friendly enough. They always had a great used selection and plenty of ammo in stock.
I don't go these days because I'm done with the covid bs. I'm not waiting in a parking lot and I'm not sanitizing my hands to look at guns and ammo. There are other sources around that are not afraid of Covid.

I'll go back there more once the nonsense ends, but the sources that can see beyond the bs will now be my first go to places.

I always liked Four Seasons. It was like a deli, but once I got to the counter the guys were friendly enough. They always had a great used selection and plenty of ammo in stock.
I don't go these days because I'm done with the covid bs. I'm not waiting in a parking lot and I'm not sanitizing my hands to look at guns and ammo. There are other sources around that are not afraid of Covid.

I'll go back there more once the nonsense ends, but the sources that can see beyond the bs will now be my first go to places.

Absolutely, so glad I found this place. Private sales are great and sometimes better than online or fsguns. FS had exactly what I was looking for and nothing here came close, I searched and couldn't find it so off to FS I went.

Always check here first.

FS is two hours (one-way) for me. But I've made the trip several times before and would do it again if they had something I really wanted.

I have had nothing but good experiences at FS. I have not been there in four months but they were always the best.

Back
Top Bottom