Anyone apply for a non resident recently?

Applied two months ago. The hotline says to leave a voicemail and they will return call with status but voicemail is always full lol

Little update. They emailed me and said they are working on late December applications now and it should be to me soon. My application was on Nov and check not cashed still.
Maybe I will see it soon.

Another update. They recently cashed my check. Still no word from them. Applied late November
No big deal but pretty big delays

I thought NH did away with that requirement?

NH IS a constitutional carry state, you don't need a permit to carry a firearm there.

For residents of NH who travel out of state, I think the permit's a good idea because of reciprocity with other states.

I have a non-resident NH permit because it absolutely defines my right as a non-resident to carry a firearm there, and more importantly it gives me FOPA while traveling if I can reasonably state that NH is my destination. Once I'm in CT, I'm kind of landocked - no RI, MA or NY permit. With my CT permit as origin, and NH as destination, I can travel through non-permitted states.

{edited to correct "carry a permit" to "carry a firearm"}

Last edited:
I thought NH did away with that requirement?
Not required to carry in general, but some may want it for states that possibly honor non-resident licenses for reciprocity, plus it lets you do ATV carry and some other special cases. If you're a non-resident planning to go to NH and engage in certain activities where the P&R is still required, it could be worth the effort.

NH IS a constitutional carry state, you don't need a permit to carry a firearm there.

For residents of NH who travel out of state, I think the permit's a good idea because of reciprocity with other states.

I have a non-resident NH permit because it absolutely defines my right as a non-resident to carry a permit there, and more importantly it gives me FOPA while traveling if I can reasonably state that NH is my destination. Once I'm in CT, I'm kind of landocked - no RI, MA or NY permit. With my CT permit as origin, and NH as destination, I can travel through non-permitted states.
ok i gotcha. when i was a ma**h***, i had a NH non-res when it was required because i lived on the border. i let it lapse and then i thought they did away with them. now i live in NH so no more permits for me, i never leave the state lol

ok i gotcha. when i was a ma**h***, i had a NH non-res when it was required because i lived on the border. i let it lapse and then i thought they did away with them. now i live in NH so no more permits for me, i never leave the state lol
I still get my NH resident permit so I can buy handguns private sale.
It's also a requirement for MA non-res. $10 or whatever is worth it for me.

OHRV is the reason, especially as a non resident
I think the OHRV and snowmobile requirement was an oversight being removed by a current bill. Not sure the bill number or status but there’s a thread on it somewhere.

I think the OHRV and snowmobile requirement was an oversight being removed by a current bill. Not sure the bill number or status but there’s a thread on it somewhere.
That would be cool. Irrelevant for me since I'll still need to get the resident permit, but it would be nice to avoid anyone potentially getting jammed up over something so stupid.

I still get my NH resident permit so I can buy handguns private sale.
It's also a requirement for MA non-res. $10 or whatever is worth it for me.
As a newly minted NH resident, handgun sales don't need to go through an FFL if you have a NH resident permit?

As a newly minted NH resident, handgun sales don't need to go through an FFL if you have a NH resident permit?
The law states--paraphrasing here--you don't need an FFL if the seller "knows" the buyer or you have a P&R.
"Knowing the person" isn't defined, but most people I've read or spoken to believe its intent was friends/family/neighbors, etc.
Some people here have posted their definition of "knowing the person" as very minimal; in practice it's really up to the seller; I don't think there's any case law on it.

I get the P&R for the MA non-res LTC requirement, but having it also negates any "knowing" debate. Mine took approx. 3 business hours to be completed.

permit in hand (finally) from EG, 3 monts and 3 days from my interview, 4 months and 14 days from first contact. with holly

(NH used to do the same for all non-residents, but that requirement was removed a few years ago).

You almost make it sound like they became enlightened of their own free will or had an affliction of conscience. [rofl2]

The NH Supreme Court told them in no uncertain terms that making up additional requirements beyond those provided for in RSA 159 was a violation of the law and ordered them to cease and desist. Bach vs. Commissioner of Safety.

It is the height of irony that a non-resident of NH has to stop the NH State Police from breaking the law, but here we are.

You almost make it sound like they became enlightened of their own free will or had an affliction of conscience. [rofl2]
The NH Supreme Court told them in no uncertain terms that making up additional requirements beyond those provided for in RSA 159 was a violation of the law and ordered them to cease and desist. Bach vs. Commissioner of Safety.

It is the height of irony that a non-resident of NH has to stop the NH State Police from breaking the law, but here we are.
Well it isn't like a resident of NH could have standing to challenge the non-resident process...

Back
Top Bottom