• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone a member of USCCA?

Keith Langer is listed as one of the USCCA participating attorneys in the area (last time I checked the list, anyway).
Langer is a very competent attorney, and I expect be would do well sitting next to a client providing advice post-incident.

But, if it goes to trial, I don't think he has much experience trying major felony murder cases, or negotiating non-charges in self defense cases by convincing the state his client is a "hard target". For that, you want to make sure any coverage will let you hire the likes of Reddington or Popeo.

Better check the policy. I may only cover the employer for its liability. One key is whom would be considered the client by the attorney supplied by the insurance company - you or your employer. Most "gun carry" jobs are low level, and the employees are expendable.

Don't worry though, even the "high level" ones you're expendable too [rofl]

Better check the policy. I may only cover the employer for its liability. One key is whom would be considered the client by the attorney supplied by the insurance company - you or your employer. Most "gun carry" jobs are low level, and the employees are expendable.

Yes, it will cover the employer for their liability arising from the employee’s use of a firearm during a work related incident just like a commercial auto policy will cover a bus driver who injures someone while driving the company bus. If you get hit by a commercial vehicle you sue the company that owns the vehicle not the employee driving the vehicle. The company has the deep pockets and the liability for what it’s employees do during work. No one is going to waste their time suing a low level, expendable employee because they have nothing to be sued for and they likely will not be found personally liable anyway if it’s a justified work related incident. Not that I have checked in a while, but I don’t recall seeing a firearms exclusion on the standard Commercial General Liability Policy however most professions would have a tough time justifying the use of force in the course of doing business.

Langer is a very competent attorney, and I expect be would do well sitting next to a client providing advice post-incident.

But, if it goes to trial, I don't think he has much experience trying major felony murder cases, or negotiating non-charges in self defense cases by convincing the state his client is a "hard target". For that, you want to make sure any coverage will let you hire the likes of Reddington or Popeo.

Thanks for the info. I have Langer stored in my phone for the immediate post-incident call. Reddington & Popeo don’t appear on the list

No one is going to waste their time suing a low level, expendable employee because they have nothing to be sued for and they likely will not be found personally liable anyway
Cases often start by naming every possible defendant, and dropping various defendants as the case moves on.

Cases often start by naming every possible defendant, and dropping various defendants as the case moves on.

I get that; I have never seen an employee sued as an individual for something they did in a company vehicle and I'd be surprised if an employee of a company that legitimately requires employees to be armed would get sued for a work related incident. My point was that the employers liability policy will cover the employee's actions during the course of work and that personal liability policies exclude coverage for incidents arising from employment, firearms related or not. You can bet that if the receptionist at the dentist office pulls out a gun and starts firing at people in the waiting room the dentist office will get sued and their insurance policy will be forced to pay and that no individual legal protection plan will cover that employee. If it was a self-defense situation at work the dentist office will get sued and their General Liability policy will respond unless there's a specific exclusion on the policy and I have never seen one - and the personal liability policy that person has will most likely deny coverage due to it being a work related event. I'm also sure that General Liability coverage for businesses that employ armed security will be quite expensive and have extensive training & background requirements in order to provide coverage.

Last edited:
Clicked on the tab to join as a platinum member and it does nothing. I emailed them about joining and I'd like to pay yearly instead of monthly.

You can pick any attorney you want. They have a list of attorneys as a service in case you don't have an attorney or don't know who to call.

You are 100% correct. I meant to say the incident, not you, will be covered under the employer's liability policy but it will be the employer who is covered. If it is a work related incident you generally won't be covered under your personal policy and the plaintiffs attorneys are more likely to go after the employer since they have the deep pockets and the insurance coverage. That's not to say you won't get sued personally as well but as Rob pointed out, most gun carry jobs are low level so the plaintiff's attorney isn't likely to get much out of someone with no deep pockets/insurance coverage so they will focus on the employer.

Back
Top Bottom