• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anybody Notice HEAVY Fat Content On Their Deer?

MP-In-The-Wind

NES Member
I just finished butchering the buck I had shot earlier in the week and noticed a HEAVY layer of fat.
The fat was 1/4" thick around the chest/shoulders...and within the meat was quite a bit of fat inside.
I've butchered a number of deer in the past and this is the first buck I've seen with this layer of fat....(2 others were does).
Any thoughts?

years ago a buddy made his first deer jerky but didn't remove the fat, it was like chewing shoe leather wrapped in candle wax. the second year it was much improved.

I shot a doe this year it had a lot of fat. My brothers buck was real lean. I don't mind a little fat when it's fresh. I like A nice fatty neck roast slow cooked. It tends to change after a while in the freezer though. The fat coats your mouth it reminds you that you're still eating venison. Lol

Its a good acorn year. Deer should be fat right now. If the snow keeps up they will need the fat to get through.

I remove all fat. Deer fat turns rancid quickly and creates off flavors in the meat.

Sausage mix is at least 30-35 percent fatty pork butt or shoulder, to 65-70 percent lean game meat.

You can make it leaner if your just using sausage links for spaghetti sauce but if your frying or grilling for breakfast or italian sausage subs, more fat is better or its dry.

Its a good acorn year. Deer should be fat right now. If the snow keeps up they will need the fat to get through.

I remove all fat. Deer fat turns rancid quickly and creates off flavors in the meat.

Sausage mix is at least 30-35 percent fatty pork butt or shoulder, to 65-70 percent lean game meat.

You can make it leaner if your just using sausage links for spaghetti sauce but if your frying or grilling for breakfast or italian sausage subs, more fat is better or its dry.
I do the same for ground. Deer fat is no bueno but pork fat......

Back
Top Bottom