Anybody involved in IDPA at HSC?

OCB

I'm trying to get a little more information on the IDPA program they have at HSC. I sent an email to the Metrowest Tactical website, but it got bounced.
Anyway, my two main questions are:
Do the practices involve any sort of instruction? I've never shot IDPA and haven't had any formal training past gun safety. Is it recommended that I get some additional training prior to coming out?
Also, I'm not a member at HSC (although I'm looking to become one), but the HSC website suggests that IDPA practices are open to the public. Is this true?

Thanks.

Do the practices involve any sort of instruction?
Mostly no. People are more than happy to give advice, but it's not a class by any means.

I've never shot IDPA and haven't had any formal training past gun safety. Is it recommended that I get some additional training prior to coming out?
It depends. Safety is the main concern. IDPA has you drawing from a holster, reloading, and shooting under some pressure. You want to be sure that you can do these things safely, without sweeping yourself or others, and with your finger off the trigger. Also, you'll be re-holstering a loaded gun, which is dangerous, and you'll want to be sure you can do slowly and safely (finger off the trigger). These are habits you can learn without formal training, but are important habits.
Also, I'm not a member at HSC (although I'm looking to become one), but the HSC website suggests that IDPA practices are open to the public. Is this true?

Sure is. I recommend the later practice and just let someone know you're new.

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I'm very cognizant of the safe handling of fire arms, but it probably wouldn't hurt to practice drawing from a holster/re-holstering safely, as I don't use a holster very often.

I checked GOAL's schedule, and the IDPA classes are booked for the remainder of the year.

Maybe I'll come by a practice without my gear to pick up some pointers.

Maybe I'll come by a practice without my gear to pick up some pointers.

If you come to a practice, bring your gear. You can always not use it, or go through the drills dry. I'll second the recommendation to go to a practice and let them know you're new. If there's an extra staff member available, they'll take you through the basics of drawing/holstering dry away from the rest of the shooters.

Another reason to come to a practice or two HSC now requires that new members have a sponsor present at the membership meeting to vouch for the new member. If you do not know any one at HSC this would be a great way to get to know some people and possibly a sponsor.

No formal training. However the practice director will most likely ask for a volunteer(if needed) to guide you through the practice. This will ensure you know what is going on with the COF, explain some of the rules and procedures of IDPA. By the end of the night you will have gained allot of knowledge.

Safety is the first concern of any MWT event as TheRoland spoke of. How you well you shoot thats between you and the target, while I personally have not received any formal training from MWT I can assure you that MWT IDPA shooters are extremely helpful if you come with an good attitude you will learn much.

If you just want to check it out ASAP there is a club match this weekend 5/22/10 1st shots 10AM to get an idea meet some folks.. Bring your gun just in case;)

Thanks.

thanks, folks. I figured that I'll use my M&P for shooting IDPA, so I had to order a holster and mag holders. I'll head out to a practice once they arrive.

If they continue to ignore you, you are welcome try USPSA. Wednesday evening, open to the public, someone will show you what to do. Bring lots of ammo.

Low blow you bastid. [smile] Seriously- the long and short of it is our website is undergoing big changes... leave it at that. Not sure why the USPSA guys are always lurking on these threads.... I think they tend to be of the angry variety anyway. [laugh]

To the OP- there are plenty of us that are more than willing help out new shooters at the practices. Don't be shy- jump in. Even if there aren't any classes in the short term- there is plenty you can learn at the practices. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Low blow you bastid. [smile] Seriously- the long and short of it is our website is undergoing big changes... leave it at that. Not sure why the USPSA guys are always lurking on these threads.... I think they tend to be of the angry variety anyway. [laugh]

To the OP- there are plenty of us that are more than willing help out new shooters at the practices. Don't be shy- jump in. Even if there aren't any classes in the short term- there is plenty you can learn at the practices. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

I would recommend taking Lugnut up on his offer to contact him. He is a master class IDPA shooter. I learned a lot shooting with him one day.

So, Lugnut is Master IDPA shooter, but only a 'B' USPSA shooter. Maybe if I want to move up, I should move over to IDPA......

But then again that wouldn't work. I don't follow directions well as evidenced by my failure to complete a mandatory reload on yesterday's classifier.

So, Lugnut is Master IDPA shooter, but only a 'B' USPSA shooter. Maybe if I want to move up, I should move over to IDPA......

But then again that wouldn't work. I don't follow directions well as evidenced by my failure to complete a mandatory reload on yesterday's classifier.

Ahh Brent.... I don't think moving to IDPA would make you a better shooter. Only good solid practice will do that. You might be a Sharp Shooter though. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom