• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anybody interested in a cannon shoot?

I recently started a thread about the legality of cannons in NH. I found a lot of people either are very interested and would like to have one or would like to just see one go off. I thought it might be a good idea to put together some kind of a cannon shoot. Date and location would need to be figured out, but first you need people that are interested and want to do it. We would need to do this in an organized fashion, as we would be firing cannons and mistakes with a cannon are probably not good. If anybody is interested just reply to this post. If enough people want to do it, set a date, time and place, and set some type of plan as to how it will run so things go safely and smooth. Let me know if you are interested and we can work together to make it happen!

I'm a Civil War renenactor and we have an artillery crew. I would HIGHLY suggest that you make REAL sure you know what you're doing before you lite that fuse. Black powder is not like modern powder - as careful as you treat your modern firearm, you need to be even more careful when firing a cannon. MA is a PITA when it comes to cannons, however, I can't fault them for being cautious. I heard about a re-enactor who, while firing blanks, didn't do what he was supposed to and he lost his right hand from the blast. Think safety darlings. [smile] And yes, I know most of you understand this, however, there are some people who think firing blanks is harmless.

I'd be interested if there were enough people there that knew what they were doing to prevent me from getting killed! I don't know the first thing about cannons or cannon safety and wouldn't want to go in blind just trying to blow sh*t up! I'm lucky I still have all my fingers and eyeballs after my "explosive" youth. [smile]

Did anyone look up "American Artillery Association"?
I shot cannon (3 inch ordnance rifle) for an N-SSA team quite a few times in Virginia and Westerlo NY. Many AAA members are in fact N-SSA skirmishers.
The 10th Massacusetts Battery is headquartered right here in Eastern Mass.

Someone say Cannon?
cannon3.jpg

I was at a cannon shoot about 15 years ago here in NY. Several teams of re-enactors in uniforms - mostly Civil War, but one team showed up as a Mexican War Mexican army team, wearing the same kind of uniforms you saw in all the Alamo movies. Not sure what's up with that.

Anyway, they set a couple of junk cars up about a hundred yards away to use as targets and then proceeded to blow hell out of them. Awesome!

Regards
John

This is my cannon. Homemade, but it still rips! 300 grains of pyrodex and a big old lead slug sure make a hell of a boom. I use about a foot of fuse to give myself plenty of time to get to a safe distance. Gallon jugs full of water are good cheap reactive targets. It has a 1" bore and a 18" barrel.
cannon2.jpg
cannon1.jpg

Also I am hoping to find more people that have cannons of their own. If you have a cannon and are interested, let me know. It would be better if we had at least a few different cannons. I would like to try to do this in NH, as I am clueless to Mass laws in this case. Any suggestions to make this happen are appreciated!

That looks like a ton of fun. I like how you used a scissor jack to adjust for elevation. Very clever.

Did you MIG this together? What thickness and type of steel?

That looks like a ton of fun. I like how you used a scissor jack to adjust for elevation. Very clever. Did you MIG this together? What thickness and type of steel?
I used mostly mild steel, and mig welded most of it. Although there is quite a bit of silver solder in it as well. It would take way too long to give details on how I made it, but the barrel walls are .250" thick, and .600" plus at the combustion chamber. I test fired it with 650 grains of pyrodex and a 1" slug, double the charge I use, with no problem.( I still stand way back when I fire it, never too safe) The scissor jack is working pretty well, takes the abuse nicely!.

That thing would be perfect for a car shoot iffin' we could find us a willing range, public sandpit or friendly landowner up in New Hampshire / Vermont / Maine.

(We play nice and clean up after ourselves too !)

I'm ready. Well, if the shoot is in Mass someone else will have to fire them, as I haven't gone through the cannoneer's process yet.

(They're both shined up since the pictures were taken)

brassones.jpg

100_1518.jpg

The brass one has a 2" bore and the little guy is 0.75".

"Brassy" in particular has a remarkable concussion wave when fired.

I have cannon envy! My 1" cannon has a good concussion wave, doubled would be even better! Both very nice pieces. We need to get together and let 'em rip!

On Patriots Day in Concord, near the North Bridge, the British Cannon on the other side was extremely loud. It was 1000 yards away and man it was loud!

Oh, I definitely want to come to this, shit blowing up on a grand scale should never be missed.

Can we do a NES Cannon/Car shoot?

Can we get some .50 BMG sniper rifles in on this as well?

I'm getting all giddy just thinking about blowing cars up with cannons

Damnit, now I'm going to have to go out and get a cannon... [grin]

Think we can get a cannon shoot segment incorporated into the next Appleseed?

(it's applicable isn't it?)

OK, my wife said I CAN GET A CANNON!!!!
My wife is cool, and believes I'm a little touched but........

Where do we get cannons?

Anyone ever built one?

Back
Top Bottom