Anybody here ever tried shooting .380 from a 9mm revolver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They mostly come out when you start a stupid thread. Which you should know by now.

You might be the most thin-skinned member of this forum. You start ridiculous threads then get butt hurt when people make fun of you.

At least it's not a make-you-own black powder thread or yet another NAA Mini thread.

To answer your question, the .380 case head is about 0.015" undersized compared to the 9mm, so the brass will be ruined, and the case won't properly seal in the chamber. Since the cartridge is less powerful than the 9mm to begin with, and you're going to lose more than the normal amount pressure both because of the extra free bore and out the back of the chamber because of the poor seal, your biggest risk is going to be sticking a bullet in the barrel, then piling another one down on top of it.

However, if you can find a video on the internet where someone did this and didn't turn into "meat jelly" I'm sure you'll be fine, because everybody knows that the best way to determine if something is safe or not is to first see if someone did it in a video, then ask on an internet forum.
I ask questions here when I can't find answers elsewhere so I probably generate activity that might bring people here in the future all thanks to those uncommon questions and topics.

Cuz who needs another 1911 thread? NAA mini's, making black powder, shooting .380 in a 9mm revolver... that's stuff that people are going to see at the top of their internet searches and bring revenue and maybe future members to this forum.

I figure someone who's a mod would get that, but I guess the mods here are like typical northeast people who love to talk out there ass and demean thread creators instead of actually modding the threads and removing junk posts or actually moving threads from the wrong section to the correct ones.

I'm more frustrated with the lack of on topic posts and the lazy moderating than anything else.

Now we'll see how many infractions I get from that statement and see who's really "butthurt"

EDIT: And if any mod or admin has an issue with the topics I create, they can message me and we can discuss that in private instead of derailing topics.

Last edited:
dude , your posts belong on youtube . not on a shooters forum . if you decide to do any of this , please let the other shooters around you know so they can leave . seriously .

I am marginally minimal in my knowledge of firearms. I just happen to know enough to understand that if Eddie C spouts off some numbers off the cuff and suggests something that I could probably bank safe on his answers, his logic and his conclusions.

I can't believe you are even going as far as calling him out.

Simple. .380 smaller than 9mm. Maybe too smaller. Won't seal well. Maybe too short. Maybe squib. Maybe get blast of powder and brass face.

Brass go balloon mode. Maybe seal just enough to make all the hot sht go down barrel. Maybe not and get hot shot in face.

Brass may stuck. Bullet may stuck in barrel.

That good enough?

I am marginally minimal in my knowledge of firearms. I just happen to know enough to understand that if Eddie C spouts off some numbers off the cuff and suggests something that I could probably bank safe on his answers, his logic and his conclusions.

I can't believe you are even going as far as calling him out.

Simple. .380 smaller than 9mm. Maybe too smaller. Won't seal well. Maybe too short. Maybe squib. Maybe get blast of powder and brass face.

Brass go balloon mode. Maybe seal just enough to make all the hot sht go down barrel. Maybe not and get hot shot in face.

Brass may stuck. Bullet may stuck in barrel.

That good enough?
Not specifically calling him out for lazy moderating, but now that I think of it he is the one mod that loves to shoot me down for asking different questions and starting uncommon topics.

As for his numbers, I don't doubt them. He seems like a smart and knowledgeable guy... just one with a small stick up his bum.

As for what .380 will do in a 9mm, from what I've seen the bullets will do more than just leave the barrel.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgOa25NhFio

So why do I make topic here on NES? To see if everyday people have tried it and what their experience was. Result: Get shit on because I ask "stoopid" question.

Seems like the pot calling the kettle black to me, but WTF do I know? I'm just a kid with a dream... to shoot 5 rounds of .380 out of a 9mm revolver.

OK, since we've got a collection of people that know what happens in non-standard situations, I have a semi-related question.

Let's say I'm reloading 9mm for a semi-auto and miss putting powder in 1 case. I'm pretty certain the primer won't be able to push that freedom-seed all the way down the barrel, but could it lodge a bullet far enough in the pipe that another round would chamber? Do you think it might cycle the slide on, for instance, a little LC9?

Of course what I'm thinking about is being in a really loud range, I get what I think is a click, don't notice it was an empty brass that ejected when I rack the slide I have a KB on the next shot.

Not specifically calling him out for lazy moderating, but now that I think of it he is the one mod that loves to shoot me down for asking different questions and starting uncommon topics.

As for his numbers, I don't doubt them. He seems like a smart and knowledgeable guy... just one with a small stick up his bum.

As for what .380 will do in a 9mm, from what I've seen the bullets will do more than just leave the barrel.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgOa25NhFio

So why do I make topic here on NES? To see if everyday people have tried it and what their experience was. Result: Get shit on because I ask "stoopid" question.

Seems like the pot calling the kettle black to me, but WTF do I know? I'm just a kid with a dream... to shoot 5 rounds of .380 out of a 9mm revolver.

Like the old joke goes:

RU/18?

If yes, go for it. Post pix.

Good decisions come from experience; experience come from bad [questionable?] decisions.

OK, since we've got a collection of people that know what happens in non-standard situations, I have a semi-related question.

Let's say I'm reloading 9mm for a semi-auto and miss putting powder in 1 case. I'm pretty certain the primer won't be able to push that freedom-seed all the way down the barrel, but could it lodge a bullet far enough in the pipe that another round would chamber? Do you think it might cycle the slide on, for instance, a little LC9?

Of course what I'm thinking about is being in a really loud range, I get what I think is a click, don't notice it was an empty brass that ejected when I rack the slide and have a KB on the next shot.
Not enough to work the slide and eject the round, likely no recoil either. You'll know when you get a squib when you get a squib, unless you're doing weird reloads like I did with a round ball and 1.0 grains of Bullseye. But, I was being safe thinking a squib might happen and I checked the target and the bore after each shot.

In this instance you should count the holes in your paper target. If you shot 5 times and see 4 holes, you might have a squib.

If you were shooting .380 in a 9mm, it would be worth shooting at distances you'll never miss the paper to make sure you don't have a squib.

Like the old joke goes:

RU/18?

If yes, go for it. Post pix.

Good decisions come from experience; experience come from bad [questionable?] decisions.
If I get a 9mm revolver, I'll do more than just pics, I do a full video.

Then I'll take my man card and head to an AMP in Quincy to celebrate my masculinity.

Might make a video of that massage too, but it won't be found on Youtube ;)

I'm just a kid with a dream...

I probably generate activity that might bring people here...

...typical northeast people who love to talk out there ass...

...I'm more frustrated with the lack of on topic posts

Whew! I was afraid you were some sort of an elitist.

Listen a**h***, the fact that people will do a search and will wind up on this thread is exactly the reason why I'm calling you out, you arrogant elitist little f***.

IT'S NOT FVCKING SAFE!!! You realize that there are 1000's of guns chambered in 9mm and dozens of versions of .380 ammo available, right? Do you think every gun is safe firing every type of ammo? Of course they're not. Why the hell are trying to convince people to do it?

Instead of Buffalo Bore +P, say some poor bastard grabs a box of cheap-ass WWB or UMC, wants to shoot it out of a revolver, and sees your newbie dumb-ass thread here, watches the goofy youtube videos you've posted to "back up" your idiotic reasons for trying it, and grabs a 9mm cylinder for his 8" Blackhawk, sticks a bullet halfway down the barrel, and blows his eyes out with the next shot?

Or say someone tries to whip up black powder based on your other stupid thread and burns his house down?

Or some fool thinks it's cool to carry an NAA Pug because tactical reloads are easier?

See, when you post stupid shit, responsible people call you out because you posted stupid shit that can hurt people.

Please knock it off. Read more, learn more, post less.

In this instance you should count the holes in your paper target. If you shot 5 times and see 4 holes, you might have a squib.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Is that the way to tell you've had a squib? Really?

[rofl]

So, if the first shot was the squib, how many holes would you have on the target then?

Please, for the love of Christ, stop posting.

Whew! I was afraid you were some sort of an elitist.

Listen a**h***, the fact that people will do a search and will wind up on this thread is exactly the reason why I'm calling you out, you arrogant elitist little f***.

IT'S NOT FVCKING SAFE!!! You realize that there are 1000's of guns chambered in 9mm and dozens of versions of .380 ammo available, right? Do you think every gun is safe firing every type of ammo? Of course they're not. Why the hell are trying to convince people to do it?

Instead of Buffalo Bore +P, say some poor bastard grabs a box of cheap-ass WWB or UMC, wants to shoot it out of a revolver, and sees your newbie dumb-ass thread here, watches the goofy youtube videos you've posted to "back up" your idiotic reasons for trying it, and grabs a 9mm cylinder for his 8" Blackhawk, sticks a bullet halfway down the barrel, and blows his eyes out with the next shot?

Or say someone tries to whip up black powder based on your other stupid thread and burns his house down?

Or some fool thinks it's cool to carry an NAA Pug because tactical reloads are easier?

See, when you post stupid shit, responsible people call you out because you posted stupid shit that can hurt people.

Please knock it off. Read more, learn more, post less.
Hey, you know what, the safety reasons you listed were actually really well thought out and now that you actually stick to the topic, instead of you know throwing insults because you're poor, poor moderator, we could have gotten to this answer a lot sooner.

Then again, if someone is smart (like me) and does some unusual stuff and there's potential that squib occurs and checks there barrel and target after each shot, those potential dangers could be avoided.

I mean, there's a potential for every time a gun is shot that a squib may happen, but when it comes to different guns and chamber tolerances and cheap ammo, that's actually an reasonable and logical concern.

Now if you want to continue to make insults on my threads for NAA revolvers when they're known to be deadly guns that can be used effectively in self defense because of other threads I've made, please do. I'll gladly take this obvious harassment to admins and have them sort it out.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Is that the way to tell you've had a squib? Really?

[rofl]

So, if the first shot was the squib, how many holes would you have on the target then?

Please, for the love of Christ, stop posting.
If on the 5th shot you notice you didn't have a 5th hole, you might have a squib?

Ever think of that? It's not rocket science Eddie...

Let me ask you one question...

If I handed you a random revolver, and told you it had the wrong caliber ammo in it, but I saw a video on youtube where somebody shot the wrong caliber in an autoloader and nothing blew up, would you feel confident shooting the revolver?

Apparently, the concept is over your head.
Not really. Is counting above your education level? Here, lemme give you a free lesson, you can use on your next range trip:

1 shot=1 hole=no squib

2 shot=2 holes=no squib

3 shot=3 holes=no squib

4 shot=4 holes=no squib

5 shot=4 holes=check for squib

Capisce, paesano?

If on the 5th shot you notice you didn't have a 5th hole, you might have a squib?

Ever think of that? It's not rocket science Eddie...
I hope you do these unusual things by yourself so that other shooters on the line don’t get hurt by experimenting with ammo. Sorry I don’t agree it’s safe.

I don't understand why you've dug in your heels and are trying to convince people to do something that is not safe. Is it because someone disagreed with you?

I'm not going to let it go. It's obvious by the stupid threads you start that you don't know what you're doing. That's fine. Everybody has to learn.

But you need to stop advocating for shit that will get people hurt.

Let me ask you one question...

If I handed you a random revolver, and told you it had the wrong caliber ammo in it, but I saw a video on youtube where somebody shot the wrong caliber in an autoloader and nothing blew up, would you feel confident shooting the revolver?
I would ask what ammo is it, factory or reload, and if the person who handed it to me would demonstrate it before I attempted shooting it.

.380 and 9mm are the same caliber, just slightly different case dimensions. Plenty of people have shot .22 LR in a .22 Magnum and they lived with no harm done. Is it unsafe? Idk, probably no more unsafe than shooting any gun, but I personally wouldn't bother with it because I know the result is the .22 LR loses about half its velocity.

I don't know what the results are for .380 in a 9mm, have seen a few things where nothing went wrong, and am curious. Until I see that someone blew up a gun shooting .380 in a 9mm, I'll have to say that it's plausibly safe.

Are there things that can go wrong? Yup, and you made a lot of sense in that post about different ammo and guns.

Not really. Is counting above your education level? Here, lemme give you a free lesson, you can use on your next range trip:

1 shot=1 hole=no squib

2 shot=2 holes=no squib

3 shot=3 holes=no squib

4 shot=4 holes=no squib

5 shot=4 holes=check for squib

Capisce, paesano?

So that you don't think that EC is piling on you, the concept you seem to have missed was

1 shot=1 hole=no squib

2 shot=2 holes=no squib

3 shot=2 holes = maybe squib

Don't notice, because you don't have the correct ammo, and the gun is not behaving properly

4 shot = maybe bad outcome.

Entiende, esse?

I'm all for the free exchange of ideas, but, please.

Oh, and as for getting the admins involved....I'm guessing that someone that has a history of teaching reloading, and giving good advice will have his opinions weighted more heavily than a relatively new poster, with shall we say, interesting ideas.

I don't know what the results are for .380 in a 9mm, have seen a few things where nothing went wrong, and am curious. Until I see that someone blew up a gun shooting .380 in a 9mm, I'll have to say that it's plausibly safe.
You're right. You don't know.

You can play Russian Roulette and be plausibly safe 5 out of 6 times.

I'm closing this thread now because what you are saying is safe is absolutely not f***ing safe.

I don't want someone finding this a year from now and trying it because of the (incorrect) opinion you formed based on the few videos you've seen where nothing went wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom