Anybody have any experience with the Henry AR7 rifle ?

M60

NES Member
I'm looking at a Henry AR7, 22 L.R., takedown rifle. It looks like a good little rifle for camping etc.. It breaks down and stores the barrel and receiver in the stock, along with the 7 round magazine and the damn thing floats in water. Seems like a great idea for clumsy folks. It's drilled and tapped for a picatinny rail that Henry also has available. Anyone have any experience with this little beauty? Pro's and cons appreciated.

I'm looking at a Henry AR7, 22 L.R., takedown rifle. It looks like a good little rifle for camping etc.. It breaks down and stores the barrel and receiver in the stock, along with the 7 round magazine and the damn thing floats in water. Seems like a great idea for clumsy folks. It's drilled and tapped for a picatinny rail that Henry also has available. Anyone have any experience with this little beauty? Pro's and cons appreciated.

I owned one in the last few years for all the same reasons you cited. No longer own it. The front sight was plastic and would drift on its own, the reliability was ok but did have a couple malfunctions every time to the range. The trigger was fairly crappy. Now for a strictly survival rifle it would be better than nothing, but in my opinion the Ruger 10/22 Take Down is a much better choice for a few more bucks.

Henry AR7 specifically, or any AR7?

I had an Armalite AR7 mid late 70's or so.

Reason I bought it at the time was because it was inexpensive and I liked the breakdown, store it in the stock design
even if it was kind of gimmicky.

I don't recall what the accuracy was like (and there was no provision for mounting a scope), but one thing I didn't
care for was that it was too lite... almost toy like.

The other thing I didn't care for was the ergonomics.

It had no forearm and you had to grip it by the magwell, which I never quite got used to.

I didn't shoot it all that much, and ended up selling it after a few months.

It was an ok shits and giggles gun, but not something I'd seriously consider taking camping or into the woods
even if it was just picking off chipmunks and any other rodents.

I like the fact that it breaks down for carry and floats if dropped over board, but I don't like the other issues you guys are pointing out for sure. Comments like you guys are making are what make the NES brain trust so valuable.

get a breakdown 10/22 or just take apart a regular .22 and stuff it in your pack. I had an armalite back in the 80's and I really wanted to like it but it was a cheap unreliable pos for the reasons stated above. (and jammed easy.) I hope that Henry fixed most of the reliability issues. ergonomics not much to do there.

I like the fact that it breaks down for carry and floats if dropped over board, but I don't like the other issues you guys are pointing out for sure. Comments like you guys are making are what make the NES brain trust so valuable.

Well, one things for sure, you can never claim that you lost it in a tragic boating accident.

I have one of the Henrys. Not sure what to say about it. It is what it is. A cheep survival rifle. I didn't feel like there was nothing wrong with it as I wasn't expecting a family heirloom. I wouldn't depend on it for a ton of rounds. Everything done on it seems to be done as cheep as possible down to the plastic barrel. If you're a lefty like me it's a little awkward but not terrible to shoot. However it's cheep and upgrades are fairly inexpensive.

Got one of the Henry AR7. Knew it wasn’t going to be a tack driver when I got it. But it’s minute of rabbit or maybe squirrel if you’re close. Mine was about 1” or so at 20yds. So imo it fulfills what I wanted out of it. I also have a 10/22 takedown. Imo. They really can’t be compared. Doubt the takedown will float. And the size when broken down doesn’t compare to the AR7. Imo worth it if you’re back country skiing or some other way off the beaten path activity where you need something light. Just dont expect to shoot matchsticks.

I have one of the Henrys. Not sure what to say about it. It is what it is. A cheep survival rifle. I didn't feel like there was nothing wrong with it as I wasn't expecting a family heirloom. I wouldn't depend on it for a ton of rounds. Everything done on it seems to be done as cheep as possible down to the plastic barrel. If you're a lefty like me it's a little awkward but not terrible to shoot. However it's cheep and upgrades are fairly inexpensive.

The barrel is plastic??????

Got one of the Henry AR7. Knew it wasn’t going to be a tack driver when I got it. But it’s minute of rabbit or maybe squirrel if you’re close. Mine was about 1” or so at 20yds. So imo it fulfills what I wanted out of it. I also have a 10/22 takedown. Imo. They really can’t be compared. Doubt the takedown will float. And the size when broken down doesn’t compare to the AR7. Imo worth it if you’re back country skiing or some other way off the beaten path activity where you need something light. Just dont expect to shoot matchsticks.

What a great, well thought out evaluation. Thanks Caveman.

Had one of the Henry AR-7's years ago got rid of it fairly soon. If I needed a takedown .22 today I'd go with the Ruger. Larger and heavier, yes but much more accurate.

The barrel is plastic??????

Barrel is steel, but it is sheathed in coated ABS plastic.

I was looking at these awhile back. I didn't really care about having a survival rifle, but I was attracted to a super light rifle, kind of like a 22 pistol with a shoulder stock. I favored the Marlin Model 70 PSS instead, but I ultimately didn't buy either one. Both the Marlin and the AR7 are a lot lighter than a Ruger 10/22 takedown that a lot of people recommend instead. But the 10/22 TD wouldn't have met my criteria.

For a little more money get the takedown 10/22. It comes in its own backpack. You can do so much more with it.

I have two made by Charter Arms who bought the rights from Armalite, Then
they later sold them to Henry. They both have a Mitchell Dress up kit. That
replaces the barrel nut with a Barrel Shroud and has a Telescopic Stock. One
has a scope mount with a 3-9 x 40 scope mounted. I have a couple of 15
round mags for them too. The Barrels are aluminum with a steel rifled sleeve.

They tend to have feeding issues and I have not completely eliminated them yet.
There is a book available called the AR7 Exotic Weapons System. I have a copy,
but it is out of print now and expensive if you find one.

Malodave

I'll second this. Picked one up in a group buy cuz I always wanted one. OK accuracy at 25 yards, no reliability issues by the way. In a couple years when I move to a free state I'll just stow it in the truck, which is mainly why I bought it. I wouldn't consider the Ruger take-down a throw it in the truck and forget it type of gun.

If your looking for something that folds up small the chiappa little badger is higher quality.....but it's a single shot. It has a rail to mount an optic......which allows the gun to still be folded up and packed without removing the optic. Weighs less than 3 pounds.

If your looking for something that folds up small the chiappa little badger is higher quality.....but it's a single shot. It has a rail to mount an optic......which allows the gun to still be folded up and packed without removing the optic. Weighs less than 3 pounds.

Here's a link to the thread on this started by M60 a while back. Good video about half way down page 1.

Just picked up a little Chiappa Little Badger 22 magnum rifle

Last edited:
Agreed with comments above. Other than the ability to float I’d prioritize a 10/22 takedown or Savage 24/42 with a nice case for the intended purpose (personal opinion of course, YMMV). I seriously covet the old Savage 24 but haven’t brought one into the collection thus far. I do find the new Savage 42 to be a bit of an ugly duckling though

I wish Kel-tec made a folding Sub-2000 in 22lr that took 10/22 mags...

Exactly!!, Kel Tec is an industry leader in backpack bugout guns, which is all the Henry is.... don't know why people expect more from it? A KT Sub-2000 in .22L would have sold more that the Henry if the cost was comparable.

Exactly!!, Kel Tec is an industry leader in backpack bugout guns, which is all the Henry is.... don't know why people expect more from it? A KT Sub-2000 in .22L would have sold more that the Henry if the cost was comparable.

Yep and it would pair well with my pre-ban Butler Creek Steel Lips...

After seeing the Armalite AR7 in a Bond movie had to have one. This was back in the 70s shot it alot no feeding problems that I can remember but every so often ²if it was real dirty it would go full auto,after a couple times of that every 500 rds pull of the side plate and cleaned the action. All in all fun little rifle.

Last edited:
Not guilty! Oh damn.....wrong thread.

Chiappa Chick is a little "Honey" badger...

maxresdefault.jpg

Back
Top Bottom