• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

-

Not hijacking your thread, but funny story!

A friend of mine had those big "Gauge" ear rings, and asked me if I could figure a way to make some .45ACP gauges for him.
I figured, spent casings wouldn't look as good as casings with primers in tact. So I used a bullet puller to remove the bullets and powder.
I then decided to take a dremel with a cut off wheel to cut the to size so I could compress 2 together, so it looked the same front and back.

So, as I'm sitting there with a dremel to a casing, while my wife is watching TV, BANG!!!! primer ignites, and scared the s@@t out of my wife. It was pretty funny
Be careful!

Live and learn.
Funny, I was actually telling my idea to a friend earlier today and he too said that it would look better to use acasing with an in tact primer. Personally, I would constantly be thinking about the unignited primer anytime I shot the rifle, and knew that it would be worth the peace of mind to use a spent casing.

I will definitely post some pictures once Im done. I have finals for the next week and a half so Im not sure exactly when Ill have the time to do the mod but it should be soon

Live and learn.
Funny, I was actually telling my idea to a friend earlier today and he too said that it would look better to use acasing with an in tact primer. Personally, I would constantly be thinking about the unignited primer anytime I shot the rifle, and knew that it would be worth the peace of mind to use a spent casing.

I will definitely post some pictures once Im done. I have finals for the next week and a half so Im not sure exactly when Ill have the time to do the mod but it should be soon
You could take a spent primer, hammer it back out with a punch and press it back in in a reloading press before you modify the case.

They are pretty soft, I imagine with some care you could do that and then perhaps a course polish if required to remove any trace of the dimple.

You could take a spent primer, hammer it back out with a punch and press it back in in a reloading press before you modify the case.

They are pretty soft, I imagine with some care you could do that and then perhaps a course polish if required to remove any trace of the dimple.

Appreciate the suggestion. Right now between feeding my rifles and college, I dont have the money to spend on reloading equipment and/or components. Ive been saving a little money here and there so hopefully Ill have my own setup within the next couple years

JB Weld may not work. You should look for g tha shell that will require you to press it over the charging handle. I tried solder 2x with failure (too soft I think) and ended up using a tig welder to attach it with brazing rod. You may be able to crimp the shell over the charging handle

Quick set epoxy?

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

Appreciate the suggestion. Right now between feeding my rifles and college, I dont have the money to spend on reloading equipment and/or components. Ive been saving a little money here and there so hopefully Ill have my own setup within the next couple years
You can tap in a primer by hand if you are careful (out as well). It's obviously easier with a press, but with a brass punch and a soft touch, I'm sure it could be done. Alternatively borrow someone's or use a hand primer:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/413473/lee-auto-prime-xr-hand-priming-tool

Tap it out through the flash hole using a very small steel punch (small enough to fit into the flash hole) and in with a broad brass punch that is as wide or wider than the primer, from the outside.

Obviously, I would not rec' priming with a brass punch with a live primer, but if you've hammered a spent primer out and made sure to render it inert it should fine, but do wear eyes and ears just to be sure.

Someone else may have a better way to ensure the primer is completely inert, but so far as I know, soaking it in water for 3-4+ days should do the trick.

EDIT: and yes [sad2] in MA this is a wear at your own risk item...

Last edited:
You can tap in a primer by hand if you are careful (out as well). It's obviously easier with a press, but with a brass punch and a soft touch, I'm sure it could be done. Alternatively borrow someone's or use a hand primer:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/413473/lee-auto-prime-xr-hand-priming-tool

Tap it out through the flash hole using a very small metal punch (small enough to fit into the flash hole) and in with a broad brass punch that is as wide or wider than the primer, from the outside.

Obviously, I would not rec' priming with a brass punch with a live primer, but if you've hammered a spent primer out and made sure to render it inert it should fine, but do wear eyes and ears just to be sure.

Someone else may have a better way to ensure the primer is completely inert, but so far as I know, soaking it in water for 3-4+ days should do the trick.

WD40 would be better to kill the primer.

Back
Top Bottom