• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anybody handload 45 ACP with Berry's Plated RN 230 gr using Autocomp powder?

Looking at a burn rate chart, Autocomp is on the slower side. But not too far from HS6. Waaaaaaaaaaay slower than Bullseye and 231.
I'm surprised you got the velocity you did with it out of a 5".

No signs of over-pressure on the cases, so it probably can be pushed a little faster, but I'm not going to. I think it's in its sweet spot right now.

I pretty much run an even 5gr of Bullseye in .45acp for most 230gr target ammo. 5 grains of Bullseye or 6 grains of unique is the exact copy of the powders and load used to load a 230gr bullet at 825-850fps like what was used during ww2 and vietnam.

I pretty much run an even 5gr of Bullseye in .45acp for most 230gr target ammo. 5 grains of Bullseye or 6 grains of unique is the exact copy of the powders and load used to load a 230gr bullet at 825-850fps like what was used during ww2 and vietnam.

What is the barrel length? A standard 1911?

Did YOU buy the powder or was it from someone else ? Any chance the rounds sat in the sun before fired. And give the powder the SMELL test. Stick your nose in the can and see if it smells real acrid. It should have a slightly sweet chemical smell. If its burning your nose, its gone bad. Too much hot to cold temp differentials and high humidity will kill it also.

Try to find the lot number on the container and record it, put it away. Buy another container of the same powder, record the lot number then compare the powders to see if something is visibly different to the naked eye.

Other than bad powder, or human error, I dont know what else would cause the situation you describe......

Did YOU buy the powder or was it from someone else ? Any chance the rounds sat in the sun before fired. And give the powder the SMELL test. Stick your nose in the can and see if it smells real acrid. It should have a slightly sweet chemical smell. If its burning your nose, its gone bad. Too much hot to cold temp differentials and high humidity will kill it also.

Yes, I bought the powder, but can't remember where or when. It smells right. The was no sun to sit in.

Try to find the lot number on the container and record it, put it away. Buy another container of the same powder, record the lot number then compare the powders to see if something is visibly different to the naked eye.

Other than bad powder, or human error, I dont know what else would cause the situation you describe......

I contacted hodgdons. We'll see what they say. I doubt I'll buy any more of that. I have about 5 other powders suitable for 45. I really like True Blue. I use that for 38sp.

You're right. Either I managed to do something stupid, or the powder isn't right.

I have a theory - my RCBS powder dispenser occasionally drops over 10 gr. when set to 6.5 gr. and paying attention I toss the over run back into the hopper... is it possible you were distracted and missed a overrun?

Anybody handload 45 ACP with Berry's Plated RN 230 gr using Autocomp powder? I loaded up 5 of them for test loads at the minimum powder charge (6gr) and the first one fired at 1350 ft/sec. ...yeah....wtf?!?!? After that I fired a few factory loads which measured 700 ft/sec. I tore apart the 4 other handholds and everything measured perfect. There is no possible way I double-charged it, because I measured them all before setting the bullets. Does anybody have any experience with this 45's and Autocomp?

I loaded up 5 more with 'ole tried and tested Bulleye, but ran out of time and couldn't get back to the range.
I have an RCBS master powder measure and dispenser that occasionally throw 10 gr into the pan when set up for 6.5 autocomp and I toss it back in the hopper... could be you missed an overrun?

Just in case someone searches for 230gr RN and AutoComp: 5.0gr is a good charge for low recoil loads. One can go even lower, but at that point, it has a lot to do with your pistol's ability to cycle reliably. I had a few loads down to 3.8gr but at that point, it was in the "silly slow" territory and unreliable.

This for me. WST (very clean) and Bullseye.

Ive used Unique cause I have a ton of it for 28 gauge reloading, but its dirty.
Gold Cup likes 7 gr. unique 185 gr XTP now working to find loads using HS6 with Berry's 230 gr bone breakers - Win 231 BE Clays - all good.

The R1 is now my ,45 test bed - worked 230 gr Berry's up to 5.5 gr of BE and that got a bit too wild but keep it for desperate measures and that bad bear.

Powder and primers are impossible to find now in Alaska - haven't seen either in two years and all but two gun stores have disappeared - two years... no exaggeration. Odd?

I used to load 45acp with Berrey's plated 230 round nose. I stopped and went back to jacketed because I found the Berry's platted to not be very accurate.

Just in case someone searches for 230gr RN and AutoComp: 5.0gr is a good charge for low recoil loads. One can go even lower, but at that point, it has a lot to do with your pistol's ability to cycle reliably. I had a few loads down to 3.8gr but at that point, it was in the "silly slow" territory and unreliable.
I used to load 45acp with Berrey's plated 230 round nose. I stopped and went back to jacketed because I found the Berry's platted to not be very accurate. The problem with the bullets or the powder/charge?

Did that wrong... my question is how are you separating the Berry's 230 gr plated from the powder/charge?

Gold Cup likes 7 gr. unique 185 gr XTP now working to find loads using HS6 with Berry's 230 gr bone breakers - Win 231 BE Clays - all good.

The R1 is now my ,45 test bed - worked 230 gr Berry's up to 5.5 gr of BE and that got a bit too wild but keep it for desperate measures and that bad bear.

Powder and primers are impossible to find now in Alaska - haven't seen either in two years and all but two gun stores have disappeared - two years... no exaggeration. Odd?
Do the online vendors ship to Alaska?

Alaska is isolated to Air or Sea... primers and powder must be shipped by barge which doubles the cost and appears to be an excuse to not bother.
Figures. I just checked the shipping policy of one online reloading vendor and they do ship to Alaska but there are freight charges.

I have an RCBS master powder measure and dispenser that occasionally throw 10 gr into the pan when set up for 6.5 autocomp and I toss it back in the hopper... could be you missed an overrun?

I honestly have no idea. I loaded more up, months later, with the same recipe, and they worked perfect. Right around 700 ft/sec. I don't know how it could have happened, but I think more powder got in there than intended.

Here is my latest test. Not bad for a progressive metering, and a variety of brass I pickup up at the range. I just use these for steel targets so I don't care how consistent they are, as long as they are safe.

I do have loads for bullseye shooting. Same brass, every charge weighed, better bullets, and they are extremely consistent. Way more consistent than below.

1672242980501.png

Here is my latest test. Not bad for a progressive metering, and a variety of brass I pickup up at the range. I just use these for steel targets so I don't care how consistent they are, as long as they are safe.

I do have loads for bullseye shooting. Same brass, every charge weighed, better bullets, and they are extremely consistent. Way more consistent than below.

View attachment 702927
What app are you using to track this?

Back
Top Bottom