Anybody edc knives with 2.5 blades or less

I work in Boston almost every single day and carry a knife every single day. Nice try. Everywhere from hospitals to government facilities, college campuses and business high rise. Almost every day for the last three years. Maybe it's cause I'm a working guy, but cops never even so much as look twice in my direction. So yes, I do in fact carry what ever the **** I want.

I ate an apple with a 3 inch assisted open bench made in the back bay station in front of transit cops and they didn't bat an eye...I have a knife clip visible in my kahkis or dress pants every day in Boston and walk by cos all the time...never been hassled and if I was I sure as **** wouldn't have anything to say other than am I free to go or am I being detained. If he can't demonstrate probably cause to lead him to believe my clip is a greater than 2.5 inch blade then he can kiss my ass. If he strong arms me and steals my knife and arrests me then I'll look forward to seeing him in court.

Tough guy talk is still entertaining. If you don't see the concern with actually attempting to follow the law you're still just a ****ing idiot. But this isn't the first time you've fluffed me with pure bullshit. So as you would say: nice try.
That I've fluffed you? Ok? I've never even met you and wouldn't know you from a hole in the wall. Not sure what the hell your even talking about. What you want a selfie every day of where I work and the EDC I have on me? I don't give a **** about some ridiculous law. I really don't. Half the shit I carry in my tool bag is more dangerous than some stupid knife. Why should I be concerned with some unreasonable bullshit law that means nothing to me. Nothing. My knife is a tool and part of my daily carry. They don't like it they can eabod, cause unless they plan on taking the 6 inch serrated knife I use that is in my tool box that you can buy at any Home Depot, again, they can FOD and choke on a hot load.

**** this state, I carry what I want, were I want. They dont like it, tough shit.

Heroin?

- - - Updated - - -

That I've fluffed you? Ok? I've never even met you and wouldn't know you from a hole in the wall. Not sure what the hell your even talking about. What you want a selfie every day of where I work and the EDC I have on me? I don't give a **** about some ridiculous law. I really don't. Half the shit I carry in my tool bag is more dangerous than some stupid knife. Why should I be concerned with some unreasonable bullshit law that means nothing to me. Nothing. My knife is a tool and part of my daily carry. They don't like it they can eabod, cause unless they plan on taking the 6 inch serrated knife I use that is in my tool box that you can buy at any Home Depot, again, they can FOD and choke on a hot load.

I think the point is, that whether you approve of the law or not, you can do hard time at one of our MIC holiday spas - Concord, Walpole, whatever - for violating it.

Heroin? - - - Updated - - - I think the point is, that whether you approve of the law or not, you can do hard time at one of our MIC holiday spas - Concord, Walpole, whatever - for violating it.

Hard time at MCI concord for carrying a 3 in blade?? Are you ok?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013ASG3E/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61hmVENU0RL._SL1500_.jpg

You can't do hard time for violating a city blade length ordinance...it's not even a misdemeanor
Heroin?

- - - Updated - - -

I think the point is, that whether you approve of the law or not, you can do hard time at one of our MIC holiday spas - Concord, Walpole, whatever - for violating it.

Oh no.......ohhhhhhh nooooooo...........I just realized guys......I left my knife, open, sitting on a table in a classroom at Babson college.....it's three inches and some change.....should I call a lawyer? Is the FBI gonna get involved??? What should I do???? No in all seriousness I did and now I'm pissed.

Oh no.......ohhhhhhh nooooooo...........I just realized guys......I left my knife, open, sitting on a table in a classroom at Babson college.....it's three inches and some change.....should I call a lawyer? Is the FBI gonna get involved??? What should I do???? No in all seriousness I did and now I'm pissed.

Oh god here comes the next college lockdown!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you please provide a citation for the jail sentence?

Quoted poster says he carries a knife anywhere he pleases and doesn't give a ... something, I forget what.... about the law.

LenS, bring a knife and meet me in in the Social Law Library (assuming it's still in the Suffolk Cty. Courthouse in Pemberton Square - been a while) and I'll look up the cite for you... :)

I don't argue your basic point, which is that the municipal ordinance he's mostly bitching about doesn't carry jail time. But the larger point, I think I'm right on.

carrying a knife in a tool box is not against the law. So you can stop flipping the **** out in this thread now. MK?

Quoted poster says he carries a knife anywhere he pleases and doesn't give a ... something, I forget what.... about the law.

LenS, bring a knife and meet me in in the Social Law Library (assuming it's still in the Suffolk Cty. Courthouse in Pemberton Square - been a while) and I'll look up the cite for you... :)

I don't argue your basic point, which is that the municipal ordinance he's mostly bitching about doesn't carry jail time. But the larger point, I think I'm right on.

What larger point, that it's illegal to carry heroin? Well no ****ing shit. First and foremost I suppose I would have to be a drug addict in order to have any desire to do so, but sure? I guess? How the hell is it even relevant?

- - - Updated - - -

carrying a knife in a tool box is not against the law. So you can stop flipping the **** out in this thread now. MK?

No one is flipping out, I'm calm as a cucumber, and sometimes, it is in a sheath on my belt and yes, in fact, sometimes I walk down the street with it on my belt. So I suppose that would be carrying would it not?

Tried to PM you btw you don't accept them apparently.

This proposition: You can carry a knife anywhere in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and not be subject to imprisonment for doing so.

True or false?

I think it's been pretty clearly stated by many a folk that MA has no general law on blade length and that overall, if not all knife laws are 100% town and city enforced and at most subject to a fine and confiscation. IANAL so I can't say with 100% certainty on this, but I'm pretty confident.

You may be right. This is not my field (I just love to stir sh@@t). Plus it's past my bedtime. Good speaking with you all; talk to you again soon, god willing. Be safe and happy.

I was merely addressing your allegation that one would end up a guest at MCI-<you named 3> for carrying a knife in Boston.

I've been in many a courthouse in MA (Norfolk & Bristol Counties come to mind) with both a knife and a loaded gun. Due to my profession I am not hassled like the average person might be . . . they do make me lock up the gun however in most courthouses.

I'll save you the bother, as I keep a copy handy for my MA Gun Law Seminars. If I can paste the PDF here I will (it's ~400K and might exceed the limits) otherwise I'll link it for you (and others) to read for yourselves. Yup . . . exceeds the 250K limit, so here's the link.

http://archives.lib.state.ma.us/actsResolves/1989/1989acts0596.pdf

Theres no such thing as jail time in ma for carrying a knife over 2.5 inches....these are all city/town ordinances and can and should be ignored....Boston is a$300 fine but most other cities/towns are significantly less.

From Flintoid's experiences posted here, I'm getting the impression that he's run into some crooked cops who are merely stealing his property. I'll bet the 3 that did so never turned it into their district property room and filed a report on it.

Sad but that is what I get from his stories here. I don't know why he in particular is being picked on when many of us regularly carry a knife and are never questioned about it (I'll admit that I stay out of Boston as much as humanly possible)!

From Flintoid's experiences posted here, I'm getting the impression that he's run into some crooked cops who are merely stealing his property. I'll bet the 3 that did so never turned it into their district property room and filed a report on it.

Sad but that is what I get from his stories here. I don't know why he in particular is being picked on when many of us regularly carry a knife and are never questioned about it (I'll admit that I stay out of Boston as much as humanly possible)!

This is basically what I was getting at. I've never met him, but he must be one ugly ****er [laugh], cause I have a shaved head, tattoos and walk around with a look like I want to kill people, and no one bothers me, talks to me, asks me for the time, or warns me of on coming traffic, so I don't bother to worry or give two shits about some knife ordinance. Maybe I'm just lucky? I think part of it has to do with I am a "workin" guy so they tend to sympathize or associate with me? I've definitely gotten that vibe from cops, like a, "hey youre ok cause you're more like me". I dunno. Just my .02

I got my stones busted at Disney once for a pocket clip showing. That's it. I carry a knife everywhere, every day and never had a problem. I usually wear an untucked shirt that covers it up however. Can't see why guys just don't wear it in a less obvious fashion.

Automatic knives are legal to own in MA. You cannot sell them, and you cannot carry them.

I have never known that there are towns in MA that ban knife carry over 2.5 inches. There is no way that I am going to remove a pocket knife depending on what town I am in. State laws I honor.

If a cop asks to see your knife - can you refuse? Does seeing a clip give them probable cause that it is over 2.5 inches?

This is my favorite low-cost knife - cheap enough to let the cop steal it:

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Knives-Exskelibur--5024

from personal exp. a big +1, there just keeping them

I once was in Boston during the evening, and went to meet some friends at one of the bars/clubs near Fanuel Hall downtown. I was pretty dressed up at the time, as I was coming from another event, so I had suit top, dress shirt tucked in, dark jeans. As I attempted to enter, the bouncer stopped me and asked me for my knife. I had totally forgot that I had it clipped in my front pocket, like always. He said "I can't let you in here with that, but I'll give it back when you leave". So I said "sure, no problem" and handed it to him, and he let me in. The blade has to be about 4.5".

What he didn't know is that I also had a 1911 in small-of-back holster covered by my suit top. So much for safety in those bars, but I digress.

And yes, he did return the knife to me when I left the place, and there was a cop standing right there at the door too. No problems. Most police are after criminals, if you don't look like one you won't have a problem. Also, if you don't want to be hassled, conceal it better than I was. The clip shows on the front pocket of my pants, and the bouncer is probably trained to look there, plus I'm sure stabbings can be a problem in those places from time to time.

Anyone know what the actual charge is for breaking said Boston city ordinance? Anything more than a slap on the wrist and/or monetary fine?

Found it:

Boston Ordinance said:
16-45 PROHIBITING THE CARRYING OF KNIVES OR SIMILAR WEAPONS.

16-45.1 Carrying of Weapons Prohibited.

No person, except as provided by law, shall carry on his person, or carry under his control in a vehicle, any knife having any type of blade in excess of two and one-half (2½ ) inches, ice picks, dirks or similar weapons that are likely to penetrate through police officer's ballistic vests, or other object or tool so redesigned, fashioned, prepared or treated that the same may be used to inflict bodily harm or injury to another, except:

a. When actually engaged in hunting or fishing or any employment, trade or lawful recreational or culinary activity which customarily involves the carrying or use of any type of knife, or

b. In going directly to and/or returning directly from such activities, or

c. If the knife is being transported directly to or from a place of purchase, sharpening, or repair, and if packaged in such a manner as not to allow easy access to the knife while it is being transported.

(Ord. 2001 c. 10) Penalty, see subsection 16-45.4

16-45.2 Distribution Exception.

This section shall not apply to persons who, through entities or establishments engaged in a recognized retail or wholesale business, are involved in the sale, purchase or repair of knives for trade, sport, hobby or recreation, including without limitation persons engaged in the transportation to or from such entities or establishments.

(Ord. 2001 c. 10)

16-45.3 Applicability.

Nothing in this section shall be construed to enhance or diminish any duties of persons described in subsection 16-45.2, and this section shall not be introduced or cited in any proceeding as evidence of negligence, recklessness, or similar state of mind of such persons.

(Ord. 2001 c. 10)

16-45.4 Penalty.

Violators of any provision of this section shall be subject to a fine of not more than three hundred ($300.00) dollars for each offense.

Looks like my regular EDC blade will be going into Boston...

Last edited:
Found it:

Looks like my regular EDC blade will be going into Boston...

I wonder how they enforce the fine? Probably like every other tax this state levies......they take your drivers license.....****ing *******s. Hmmmmm also, reading this, looks like I would be exempt as a tradesman who uses my knife daily as a part of my tools, regardless of it being in my pocket.

Just have the answer before they ask the question.

"I have had some expensive dental work done. I need this knife to cut my apple at lunch. I can't bite an apple regular. See look here at my teeth, over here look at the back here, hold one where are you going?"

"I have had some expensive dental work done. I need this knife to cut my apple at lunch. I can't bite an apple regular. See look here at my teeth, over here look at the back here, hold one where are you going?"

Funny you say that... I have bonded work on my front upper teeth... about a month after I had it done, bit into a nectarine and chipped the tooth badly... went back to the dentist for repair, and she told me to be careful with things like ribs and chicken wings, and cut pitted fruit and apples and such.

I often use my EDC knife to cut my peaches/nectarines in the summer.

I've got over $5k invested in my dental work, and biting apples DOES hurt... Sounds like a good reason to start cutting my apples up at lunch with my EDC blade.

Back
Top Bottom