Anybody deer hunt RI

Sparkey

NES Member
Have opportunity to secure hunting permission to some private land in Foster RI. Looks like a decent spot on the CT border. Just wondering if anybody has any experience hunting RI in zone 2?
The draw to me is Sunday hunting looks like 2 anterless and two bucks. I would mostly archery hunting and maybe some muzzle loader.
Drawbacks hour ride from my home in mass and it will also cost me some labor to get permission on the 30 acres.
Any advice or thoughts are always appreciated.
Thanks

I hunt there on Sundays as MA is a no fly zone. Their season is open later as well. I;ve seen some good deer there, but public land sees a ton of pressure... Deer are not moving in daylight by this point... Private land you may have some luck.. Public will be a challenge for sure.

I didn't buy tags this year.. I changed jobs because of covid and so didn't have much time to hunt... No vaca time at the new place.

.... I think their season closes end of Jan... Are you talking about next year?

Last edited:
Don’t know till you put boots on the ground but new hunting ground is always nice. From my understanding not a ton of pressure in the state but no personal experience.

I hunt there on Sundays as MA is a no fly zone. Their season is open later as well. I;ve seen some good deer there, but public land sees a ton of pressure... Deer are not moving in daylight by this point... Private land you may have some luck.. Public will be a challenge for sure.

I didn't buy tags this year.. I changed jobs because of covid and so didn't have much time to hunt... No vaca time at the new place.

.... I think their season closes end of Jan... Are you talking about next year?
Thanks for info.Yess this would be for next Fall . Not much public land around the area but a few other private small farm properties on either side so not sure how much pressure they get.

Probably worth it depending on how much labor.
I have seen many very nice bucks taken from that area.

Any private land is probably decent. Like someone said, boots on the ground, cameras on the trees. If there are a few unhunted farms around it might be good. If they are hunted and harvested heavily it might not be much better than state land.

However, if its an area with a lot of deer, many people do not shoot a ton of does or small bucks and fill all their tags off of one small property. Because that is not sustainable. They tend to want to keep their quality up on private pieces they have exclusive access to. So....They do like I do in CT. Shoot a doe or two early then let the property rest all of October and then in November let small bucks walk by until you get a shooter.

Don’t know till you put boots on the ground but new hunting ground is always nice. From my understanding not a ton of pressure in the state but no personal experience.

There's massive pressure on public land in my observation, especially shotgun season. As others have mentioned, there's a fair amount of Mass guys who come to RI and hunt on Sundays.

Zone 2 in RI is where most people deer hunt; while there are exceptions, most of Zone 1 is pretty densely developed and there's not much public or private land for people to hunt. So, most people in RI hunt in Zone 2. Foster is also a fairly strong town in terms of hunting participation because its a very rural area with some farms, lots of woods, and low (human) population density.

That being said, private land is always a good thing to have access to.

I have never got a deer on public property in RI. I haven't been out hunting since my brother passed away.
Most of the people I know that hunt get their deer on private land. I've shot them on private land in the past. Muzzle loading season seems to be the best time from what I'm told. I bow hunt most of the time and only went muzzleloading once. I saw nothing. I hunt zone 1 when I hunt.

Back
Top Bottom