Anybody build a MG 42?

which kit do you have? Yugos are most common, used to be $200 in good old days, more pricey now, original WWII issue are not that much more, may be x3 or x4, but you obviously dealing with the German mfg. The receiver pieces would be good to re-weld, metal is fairly thick and soft, so you are not dealing with post heat treatments. Otherwise you need to find receiver or 80% blank, those float around. The conversion is usually hammer based. I haven't seen around too many, not sure why they are not popular, may be because they weight a tonne and as cool as a semi auto it is, one just doesn't toss and MG42 in the trunk in case you get bored at the range. 8mm is also not cheap to feed.

Parts are available, things like booster cones (usually cut up in yugo demils) are available from Robert RTG, you'll visit them often.

Yogo kit with cut receiver. They did an nice job cutting it up (sad to see a fine firearm cut up) should be easy to weld up. I know it’s not going to the range every time I go, just doing it as I am tired of building 1911’s and AR’s. As you know Boris, sometimes you just want to do it “just because” you can. Somehow I found two hours of cosmoline removal therapeutic.

Not done yet!! That’s just a start. Got a good portion done though. Used a small torch to heat up and wipe with paper towel. Still need the mineral sprits wash to finish the job. Not looking twords the top cover, lots of nooks for cosmo to hide.

I know the feeling, looking at Uzi kits, already have a STEN gun to build, damn fun though. Boris is a bad influence!

Not done yet!! That’s just a start. Got a good portion done though. Used a small torch to heat up and wipe with paper towel. Still need the mineral sprits wash to finish the job. Not looking twords the top cover, lots of nooks for cosmo to hide.
I’ve used sonax wheel cleaner before and it works well.

I built a Bren semi auto....its my avatar picture. The welding was easy, fine tuning took a while but it goes bang every time I pull the trigger so I'm happy. I now have an 007/SOT and was thinking of putting together a brass rainbow maker....but not sure I want to feed it! Like another poster said lots of info online, this is one I used while building the Bren. BTW, removing cosmoline is easy in a pot of boiling water. Just dunk the parts for a few minutes in the boiling water, remove and most of the water will steam off, hit with an air hose and if you store the part in a non humid environment they will not rust. Happy building.

Thinking on building one. Anybody have any experience, tips, or advice?

Thanks

Kyle

I've always wanted to build an MG42 *in semi auto* (for the pants crapper crowd).

If you look around you can find the kits still out there. I picked one up a few years back but haven't had the time to do anything with it.

It's sitting in the box next to the 1919a4 kits I haven't had time to build yet.

I'm assuming an semi auto MG-42 build is going to have to be a closed bolt modification. Is there a kit readily available? I would also question the quality of such a conversion. Seems like a substantial modification of the original design, going from open bolt to closed.

Back
Top Bottom