Any weber experts

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get my spirit 220 to light. I can get the side burner to light, but not the main grill.

Tried lighting with a match, no go. Took it apart according to the manual, check to see that the tubes were clear, tried again with a match and igniter, no go. I replaced the battery, which I didn't think necessary since the side lit.

The left valve is a bit sticky, I can only think that this is the issue, that gas is not getting into the burner tube from the manifold feed?

However, I can't find replacement parts for this specific manifold part on the weber site, I can find it for the tubes and other accessories. There is this part on grillparts.com for $100, not sure if it is worth it to spend 100 for a 8 yr old $400 new grill?

Anybody have any ideas of how to fix this? Or is this the LRU?

Attachments

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I have called their tech support department in the past and they were very helpful.

If the side burner works that tells you that there is fuel available. And the problem would seem to be the gas supply to the burners. Can you disconnect that supply and trying blowing out the lines? Could there be water in there? Or some grease deposits clogging stuff up?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rich. The side burner is at the end of the line, so gas is getting down the manifold. I am thinking it is the valve. Will give them a call.

whalerman69

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Quite often if you inadvertently have the burners open and then open valve on the propane bottle there is a safety valve thatt will close. Try disconnecting hose from tank, open burners to bleed then close them. Reconnect hose to tank and open valve on tank. Turn burners on and try and light. Seen it happen many times. Good luck

whalerman69

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I can't get my spirit 220 to light. I can get the side burner to light, but not the main grill.

Tried lighting with a match, no go. Took it apart according to the manual, check to see that the tubes were clear, tried again with a match and igniter, no go. I replaced the battery, which I didn't think necessary since the side lit.

The left valve is a bit sticky, I can only think that this is the issue, that gas is not getting into the burner tube from the manifold feed?

However, I can't find replacement parts for this specific manifold part on the weber site, I can find it for the tubes and other accessories. There is this part on grillparts.com for $100, not sure if it is worth it to spend 100 for a 8 yr old $400 new grill?

Quite often if you inadvertently have the burners open and then open valve on the propane bottle there is a safety valve thatt will close. Try disconnecting hose from tank, open burners to bleed then close them. Reconnect hose to tank and open valve on tank. Turn burners on and try and light. Seen it happen many times. Good luck

LoginName

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same thing happened with my Spirit grill (I don't recall the model number).

Somehow the jets got clogged with bits of some kind of fabric lining from the hose.

Just unscrew the jet with a wrench and check/clean any obstruction, you should be able to blow through it.

Check the rest of the valve while you're at it.

Took me about 20-30 minutes to take everything apart and out it back together.

spirit.jpg

BBQ.Uncle

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Forget the tech-support. They are behind schedule, it could be a month before they get back to you.

Take it apart, clean it, tighten everything back up.

In the meantime, as a companion to the Weber, find yourself a nice charcoal grill. Fewer things to go wrong and better flavor if you have the time.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

weber has a warranty on parts. call them up and they will ship out the part you need for free

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Disconnect and reconnect. Turn the tank on as slow as possible. I have a Genesis and every time I turn the tank on too fast the flame is really low won't even light sometimes.

BruceW

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The safety valve in the tank, if tripped might need to be reset, which is simple as refilling the tank, but if that was the issue, you wouldn't be getting gas to the side burner...

If you call Webber tech support, make sure you have the model/serial number ready.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I found out that Weber's warranty on parts varies by model and specific part. The base (where the tank sits inside the cabinet) on my 2015 Spirit E-310 is almost completely rusted away. The caster in this corner collapsed due to no more metal. Warranty is only two years on the base (and igniter, which has also failed). weber_base.jpeg

kurtb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
JFC guys, he said the side burner works!
Dude - it the supply feeds the side burner first and the regulator is in "safe" mode - there may not be enough gas going to the main burners for them to light. This is why I said to reset the regulator. I dont know the setup of every grill much less the Spirit .. JFC.. :|

kurtb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Unfortunately, I found out that Weber's warranty on parts varies by model and specific part. The base (where the tank sits inside the cabinet) on my 2015 Spirit E-310 is almost completely rusted away. The caster in this corner collapsed due to no more metal. Warranty is only two years on the base (and igniter, which has also failed). View attachment 396012
I have a Genesis and I am also getting rust around where the tank sits. The reinforcement ring has now fallen out. Not happy with the built quality at all TBH. Looking at a Napoleon Prestige for next Spring.. Pricy - but better build and all stainless ..

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately, I found out that Weber's warranty on parts varies by model and specific part. The base (where the tank sits inside the cabinet) on my 2015 Spirit E-310 is almost completely rusted away. The caster in this corner collapsed due to no more metal. Warranty is only two years on the base (and igniter, which has also failed). View attachment 396012
Yeah, they all rust out. (unless you get a grill that is 100% stainless steel for rapey prices)
Do what i did, just put a stainless steel grid on the bottom.
IMG_7280.JPG

If a caster wheel is rusted out, throw a flat rock under that point to hold it up.
i took the time to cut with an angle grinder a round hole for the bottom of the tank to sit in. I added some angle irons in the weaker corners for added measure

As far as the OP's not lighting...you said you DID try lighting it with a match, right. Because the little metal tabs of the spark generator box rust out right away, and the spark stops lighting the gas unless you replace the boxy cover thing:

1601758598125.png

Last edited:

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Man up, and buy a charcoal Weber. Only pussies use propane to cook meat. I hear propane works well for tofu.
Ya know even my wife agrees with this. There is a different flavor profile from charcoal and one we prefer.

What I didn't expect years ago was the improved flavor from the better grade charcoal. Didn't expect this at all. But now all we'll use is Kingsford Professional. I wait for it to go on sale at Costco and buy a dozen bags.

1601762580921.png

Reactions: ldi

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you reset the regulator?
i have to do that about every third time i turn the thing on.
need a pre-ban regulator.

i close the three burner valves. then close the tank valve. Unscrew the hose from the tank about 2/3 of the way until i hear a slight whoosh of gas. tighten up the hose, open the tank valve, then open ONE of the burner valves. then i light it. after it is running i turn on the other burner valves to start all three burners.

LoginName

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man up, and buy a charcoal Weber. Only pussies use propane to cook meat. I hear propane works well for tofu.
This is one of those situations where 'get both' applies.

I prefer charcoal myself, but it's not worth the hassle if you're in a rush or all you're doing is cooking up a
couple of burgers or hot dogs for yourself.

kurtb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
This is one of those situations where 'get both' applies.

I prefer charcoal myself, but it's not worth the hassle if you're in a rush or all you're doing is cooking up a
couple of burgers or hot dogs for yourself.
If you have hungry kids - charcoal is not an option. I prefer it though ..

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
x 2 on the spider webs. Almost guarantee this is your problem.
Longinname has the right idea. Small spider get into the jets and build a small web. It looks like a bit of cloth. A paperclip will clear it out.
I've done this a dozen times. Gotts check all the connections and look close, but I bet its there.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue a while ago with one burner not lighting on a 20 year old Weber, forget the specific model. Grabbed a parts grill from the dump, ripped out the valve, put it in place of my old one. That’s when I realized that the old valve was just blocked with a mud wasp nest....perfectly fine, just the mud wasp nest blocked the propane. I had already replaced it so I just left the other one in there....but my guess is you may have a similar problem. They’re easy to take apart.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Can I ask how you store the grill? I’ve started storing mine in the garage when not in use to reduce the abuse from salty air, rain, snow, ice etc. I used to leave it outside year round with a cover but now I wheel it in and out of my garage. No idea if this will pay off in the long run 😂

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, to keep it at least a little on-topic, I was told to open the tank valve slowly (1/3 turn at a time) to avoid the regulator safety valve issue.

The grill is stored outside, no cover. Any moisture would collect on the base, especially where there were sharp edges with thin paint (the rim around the tank hole). The one corner that rusted out started where the caster bracket was tack welded to the bottom of the base. I've fixed the caster short term by screwing the caster bracket to the base with three sheet metal screws (you can see the one bracket tab just hanging out in the hole). I'll do a more permanent fix later.
Weber will sell me a new base for $85.

Top Bottom