• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any way I can get back in?

Hey guys,

I received my envelope full of 214's today. My separation code is JFV, re-entry is RE-3G. These are both "medical condition, not a disability".

I've been thinking about joining back up with the MA Nat'l Guard. Will I be able to re-enlist under these conditions?

The "condition" is related to lightheadedness during/after exercise. It happened like twice, a few years ago. I have paperwork from my .mil primary care stating I'm clear for duty/any and all physical activity, and I participate in some extreme sporting activities, and haven't had any problems with it in a few years.

Would this be worth a shot?

do it dude, i know you wanted to get in really bad. the worst that can happen is they say no--if you get a waiver you can at least give it another shot.

Lightheadedness after excercise? Souds like every time I ever did PT. I used to puke after my run also. You can probably get it waived

Yeah, I know. It doesn't usually happen to me all that much though, so I took a trip to the doctor just to make sure. Shoulda kept my frickin mouth shut [frown].

I tried to join the puddle pirates right after high school and was disqualified due to asthma, not just in my medical record but failed the breathing capacity test. A year later I tried again, and got in.

Give it a shot, worst they say is no.

Last edited:
almost everything is waiverable but as of August, the MA ARNG is over strength....

like Gonzo, i can forward your info to a recruiter ( i know a few ) for MA ARNG, Army and Army Reserves.

Shoulda kept my frickin mouth shut [frown].

Yup, most important rule with any kind of gov job, keep your medical record clean (arrest record too). My knees are shot to shit from running cross country in high school, but I can pass a physical and run well enough to keep up. Might hurt but it sure as hell isnt going in my medical record if I have any hope of finding a LE job still. Like they said, theres a waiver for everything, go for it.

Yup, most important rule with any kind of gov job, keep your medical record clean (arrest record too). My knees are shot to shit from running cross country in high school, but I can pass a physical and run well enough to keep up. Might hurt but it sure as hell isnt going in my medical record if I have any hope of finding a LE job still. Like they said, theres a waiver for everything, go for it.

yes and no.

for the military, you can get what is called in entry level separation within the first 180 days if you are found unfit for duty. also, the entrance physical exams are a lot harder than they used to be. [thinking] i'm not sure about the entire LE, but i do know a few washouts from LE academies who got shown the door for having pre-existing medical problems.

i had a girl in my basic training platoon who was sent home the third week. she was a motivated troop and came from a military family. after she left, the drill sergeants told the entire company in formation "this shit ain't for everybody" if you got medical problems, we'll find out sooner or later and you will be going OCS (on the city streets).

on a side note: i hope you, the OP and anyone thinking of going LE, Fire, Military or any "high speed" job are getting your assess out there and working out. you know, like to get prepared?

my generation is labeled the Nintendo Generation [laugh] it's only gotten worse since with Play Station and X-Box.

DON'T CHEAT YOUR BODY!

on a side note: i hope you, the OP and anyone thinking of going LE, Fire, Military or any "high speed" job are getting your assess out there and working out. you know, like to get prepared?

Did you notice the part where I decided I needed a more difficult biathlon? So now I'm running one? [laugh]

yes and no.

for the military, you can get what is called in entry level separation within the first 180 days if you are found unfit for duty. also, the entrance physical exams are a lot harder than they used to be. [thinking] i'm not sure about the entire LE, but i do know a few washouts from LE academies who got shown the door for having pre-existing medical problems.

i had a girl in my basic training platoon who was sent home the third week. she was a motivated troop and came from a military family. after she left, the drill sergeants told the entire company in formation "this shit ain't for everybody" if you got medical problems, we'll find out sooner or later and you will be going OCS (on the city streets).

my generation is labeled the Nintendo Generation [laugh] it's only gotten worse since with Play Station and X-Box.

DON'T CHEAT YOUR BODY!

You trying to pump up us or you, old guy?

I just signed a contract with the NH national guard up in Drum, so if mass is over strength (It was when I looked for 11B) there are always options if you really want back in.

While almost everything is waiverable, the thing to keep in mind is that with most NG units at or over strength, the supply of recruits is much higher than the demand. So far fewer waivers are being given out now as opposed to a couple of years ago. Not trying to discourage you, I would still try, just know that it might be a bit harder than it was prior to 2008. Oh and don't expect an enlistment bonus :).

When I retired from the Army the VA granted me a 20% disability. This was six months after I retired and I did PT and stuff with no profiles until the end....I was essentially in the same condition as I was when I retired, and wasn't looking for any kind of disability, just went through the process on the suggestion of the retirement counselor who said: "Mr. L. everybody who retires should have some disability." It's weird because I know people who work at trying to get disability pensions or medical discharges. It seems like when you aren't asking for anything, they give it to you, maybe that's because you weren't trying to abuse the system.

I think you can get a waiver.

I would go talk to a recruiter, not just Army but Air National Guard and also check out the neighboring states. I don't think you have to be a resident of the state you join the National Guard in.

Good luck and thanks for wanting to go back in [thumbsup] [cheers]

Back
Top Bottom