• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any tips!

Yes - They SUCK!!!!. If you don't have a front sight bench block then you can try to use a piece of hardwood and cut out a channel to cradle the sight & barrel. The gun will want to move around a bunch when you are using the punch so the more stable you can make it the better off you will be. Also make sure you are working on a hard sturdy surface that will not give or bounce. Some pins need a number of really good whacks to start them off so I wouldn't recommend a plywood workbench or anything like that.

Also, spend the money and get the taper pin start punch. Regular punches can either peen themselves or peen the taper pins - both of which will make the job that much more difficult. If you start to peen the taper pins stop and re-assess how you are going about it. One option if you are open to it is to use a drill press and make a very small divot in each pin. This can help keep the punch centered while you are smacking it with the hammer. Other than that, give it hell and good luck. [wink]

Yes - They SUCK!!!!. If you don't have a front sight bench block then you can try to use a piece of hardwood and cut out a channel to cradle the sight & barrel. The gun will want to move around a bunch when you are using the punch so the more stable you can make it the better off you will be. Also make sure you are working on a hard sturdy surface that will not give or bounce. Some pins need a number of really good whacks to start them off so I wouldn't recommend a plywood workbench or anything like that.

Also, spend the money and get the taper pin start punch. Regular punches can either peen themselves or peen the taper pins - both of which will make the job that much more difficult. If you start to peen the taper pins stop and re-assess how you are going about it. One option if you are open to it is to use a drill press and make a very small divot in each pin. This can help keep the punch centered while you are smacking it with the hammer. Other than that, give it hell and good luck. [wink]

Ordererd the punch and bench block.....and extra pins [laugh]

Thanks guys.

From my experience:

• Some of the pins come out easy, and others are a bear to get out.
  • The barrels that seem to be "painted" are the worst for removing pins.
  • As you mentioned, the pins are tapered. Make sure you are punching from the smallest end.
  • The paint that some companies put on the front tree can cause the pins to get "glued" in, and are tough to remove. I once broke two punch outs trying to get pins removed.
  • The paint can sometimes hide or mask the smaller end, and make it tough to tell which end is which.
  • Add good solid support under the tree when punching out the pins. A concrete floor (supported by 2 X 4's) is better than a flexing bench top.
  • Use a firm hammer. Don't tap-tap-tap with too small a hammer. Use a brute force hammer, and the correct sized punch, and give it a good whomp.

Maybe I don't have to do this......can you use round handguards with a triangular cap? I did a test fit and it appears to work. The round guards have a notch which makes clearence for the cap, is that the intended ppurpose of that notch? Sorry for the dumb question, this is my first upper build.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom