any thoughts on Detonics Combat Master .45

I lived in Western Washington in the 1980's and competed in IPSC matches with some of the Detonics employees. I had a few of their pistols and thought that generally they were very well made although a bit finicky and usually needed some tweaking to be 100% reliable. I always liked the Combat Master for it's size but it is NOT a pocket pistol. Unless you have really big and heavy pockets. At this point I don't know about parts and magazines tho. Some of the internal parts should be very close to Colt 1911/clone parts. If you can try it first I would suggest that you do to see if it is for you. If you like it then, get it.

I have a Detonics... it was my dads. It is an interesting gun but I have no interest in ever shooting it let alone carrying it. It is small but it is very heavy and awkward.

Look in a different direction. You won't be happy with it. They served a purpose before there were any other pocket pistols but there are plenty of alternatives today.

I had a Detonics Mark IV, the small officer's model size. Didn't like it at all. Sights were horrible, trigger poor, and a divot was cut out of the back of the slide to aid in thumb cocking, reducing an all ready too short sight radius. This is the only pistol I have ever sold and I do not miss it. The Officer's Model is a better gun.

Back
Top Bottom