• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any takers for the National Matches at Camp Perry in 2021

Boat in the impact area!!!

Speaking of which, someone told us that if you go out on the pier during rattle battle, you can see the bullets hitting the water.

I had some time between relays and we did just that - super cool to see.
I wonder how deep the lake is out there. It gets shallower and shallower every year. Between rifle, long range, gand ames matches its got to be close to a million rounds per year go into the lake. And up until a few years ago, the NRA Championships were there as well, so add another million per year. I'd love to see an underwater view.

Did you do the sniper match this morning?
Nah, skipped that. I'll do it in Vermont on electronic targets. I shot Modern Military, Springfield, and J.C. Garand matches. Old Colony sometimes will run one on reduced targets for fun (not submitted to CMP).

Started on the right track- shot a perfect 100 in the first stage of my first match (Modern w/ the Bula M14), then a 98 in rapids, but couldn't get my offhand hits to settle down until my final shots. Got a high bronze, one point away from silver. Shot a cross fire in Springfield- I think first one this year? No medals for that. Gave a 10 to my next door neighbor. 98 in Garand slow prone, f-ed up rapids, but pulled a bronze out of my tailpipe via a solid offhand stage.

Two trinkets for three matches not the worst showing for my first time. I had a great experience at the Camp Perry Nationals and I"ll definitely go back, but it might be 2023 rather than 2022. For the AM relays you have your gear and are headed to the firing line by 4:45AM if you want OK squadding and should probably be another 15-20 minutes earlier if you want good squadding. It's pitch dark for another hour or so. I don't mind the early start, but I'm spoiled by all the other matches where you shoot more in less time and would have shot twice by noon for such an early start. If they converted to electronic targets it would be OMG awesome, though there's a certain amount of fun working the pits, except for the guy who got heat exhaustion.

Last edited:
I wonder how deep the lake is out there. It gets shallower and shallower every year. Between rifle, long range, gand ames matches its got to be close to a million rounds per year go into the lake. And up until a few years ago, the NRA Championships were there as well, so add another million per year. I'd love to see an underwater view.
Underwater drone video during rapids or Rattle Battle would be pretty awesome.

Back
Top Bottom