Any takers for the National Matches at Camp Perry in 2021

I looked at the wind data for last year at this time. Would have been challenging with varying direction and gusts occasionally as much as 13 mph over the prevailing wind. Seems to be a little more stable presently but I guess we'll see.

@dw617 , @PatMcD -

Assuming you check in here, how are the matches going? Weather doesn't look too bad but I think there are some dodgy days here and there. Sat & Sun might be a little toasty but not brutal. Some wind forecast for Sunday.

Shooting 3 of the GSMM's- Modern Military Sat AM Rodriguez, Springfield Sat PM Rodriguez, Garand Sun AM Viale. Rifles verified for a 200 yard zero and a hair or two left of the X as I expect SW winds. That damn Bula M14 is something- Time before last I shot a .26" group of three off the bench at the end of some practice shooting. Yesterday to verify zero after tightening up sights it shot a .35" group of three including cold first shot. Any bad shots at Perry will totally be my fault. Actually my fault no matter what because if it's not shooting well, I'm the one who built it. The other two rifles holding good groups too.

Looking forward to this. I'm planning on heading out very early Friday so I can check in & have rifle inspections done that afternoon plus have some time to check out the CMP store. Maybe grab an IHC Field Grade if there's a good one then maybe cancel my Service Grade IHC order.

@76Too - You all set? What events are you shooting and with what rifles?

So far, so good. We got in last night. Checked in and got the rifles inspected today. The armorer had me take the sling off of my M14 to help it make weight. When you take your rifles to get inspected, make sure to put the stickers on your score cards first.

Weather is perfect, for now. Looks like it will heat up as the week progresses.

Regarding the store, I haven't been yet. But someone told me they are limiting each competitor to one field grade and one of something else. No 1903s available. I was hoping to score a donor for a sniper build.

There's not much in the store. There are a few of each grade.
Weather has been decent. Today was quite windy. I've got good zeros from shooting the 2400 last week. Shot a crappy score; 5 crossfires will do that.
Commercial Row is essentially empty. No components at all.
Attendance looks good.
Tomorrow is the big day.

So far, so good. We got in last night. Checked in and got the rifles inspected today. The armorer had me take the sling off of my M14 to help it make weight. When you take your rifles to get inspected, make sure to put the stickers on your score cards first.

Weather is perfect, for now. Looks like it will heat up as the week progresses.

Regarding the store, I haven't been yet. But someone told me they are limiting each competitor to one field grade and one of something else. No 1903s available. I was hoping to score a donor for a sniper build.
Might be worth checking the store another day. Seems like they break out pallets of rifles as the existing stock depletes.

If you do end up building the sniper clone and use the Malcolm scope- get the new competition mounts or Steve Earles if they are available. Gene at Outback has the connection for Earle's stuff.
There's not much in the store. There are a few of each grade.
Weather has been decent. Today was quite windy. I've got good zeros from shooting the 2400 last week. Shot a crappy score; 5 crossfires will do that.
Commercial Row is essentially empty. No components at all.
Attendance looks good.
Tomorrow is the big day.
Good luck to you both tomorrow. Pat- Got those crossfires out of your system so you should be good to go. :D Probably not hard to do, I hear there are a couple more firing positions than we usually see.

Might be worth checking the store another day. Seems like they break out pallets of rifles as the existing stock depletes.

If you do end up building the sniper clone and use the Malcolm scope- get the new competition mounts or Steve Earles if they are available. Gene at Outback has the connection for Earle's stuff.

Good luck to you both tomorrow. Pat- Got those crossfires out of your system so you should be good to go. :D Probably not hard to do, I hear there are a couple more firing positions than we usually see.
No crossfires, but I had a saved round in offhand. Somehow I got a bloody nose on my first shot. No idea how. So I'd take a shot, lean back and pinch my nose to stem the flow of blood, take another shot. I knew I was running out of time so they were all rushed. Then time ran out.

I checked the store today. Little to no inventory BUT they are selling various IHC rifles and Winchester rifles $$$.

I checked the store today. Little to no inventory BUT they are selling various IHC rifles and Winchester rifles $$$.
Wonder if they will restock? Would be a shame if they are light on inventory when the 'Games' begin. :(

$980 for a field grade IHC, if I recall correctly. Probably the best deal is a SA or HRA Field Grade or one of those Rack Specials if you just want a shooter.

Unsure, but you would think so. Just remembered, they also had a rack of 6million range Springfields available.

Best trip back we've ever done.
We usually shoot the Hearst Doubles and the NTTM, and then leave for home on Friday. Always get hung up at the Mass Pike/495 all the way to Kittery.
Left at 3am this morning, absolutely NO traffic at 495 in the afternoon on a Wednesday. 13hrs total.

Best trip back we've ever done.
We usually shoot the Hearst Doubles and the NTTM, and then leave for home on Friday. Always get hung up at the Mass Pike/495 all the way to Kittery.
Left at 3am this morning, absolutely NO traffic at 495 in the afternoon on a Wednesday. 13hrs total.
Always nice to have a decent drive, especially when you are tired and on the way back. Save some targets for the termite food guns?

Will you shoot at Camp Ethan Allen this September? The electronic targets help things run so much quicker.

Always nice to have a decent drive, especially when you are tired and on the way back. Save some targets for the termite food guns?

Will you shoot at Camp Ethan Allen this September? The electronic targets help things run so much quicker.
Id like to but probably won't; September is anyways a packed schedule. Concerts, ME Championship, NE Regional, etc.

And I forgot to add: there was a vendor on commercial row I've never seen there before. He had a bunch of pistol slides/ parts/etc. He had a big jug of Varget in a glass case with a price on it of $600. I said to him "seriously??". He said "there's nobody else here with any. If somebody really needs it, there it is".
I think he was more of a gun show seller because none of "our" vendors would screw over the community like that.

Also, Brady from Bartlein got his truck vandalized ON POST! That disturbed the hell out of me.

And I forgot to add: there was a vendor on commercial row I've never seen there before. He had a bunch of pistol slides/ parts/etc. He had a big jug of Varget in a glass case with a price on it of $600. I said to him "seriously??". He said "there's nobody else here with any. If somebody really needs it, there it is".
I think he was more of a gun show seller because none of "our" vendors would screw over the community like that.

Also, Brady from Bartlein got his truck vandalized ON POST! That disturbed the hell out of me.
Hope that douche nozzle has to carry that Varget home. Otherwise, anyone dumb enough to pay that deserves the stupid tax.

Was the truck just an unmarked, random target? Or was it clearly a Bartlein truck? Where and when?

Brady delivers barrels out at Perry to those who pre-order them (at a really decent price). He does this out of the back of his truck. He puts up signs on all the bulletin boards that are on commercial row with his phone number and hut number so we know where to find him. His truck is not marked, but it was parked in the same spot for a few days where he was doing business out of the back of it.
Friday morning all his signs were torn down and the hood of his truck was smashed in by what looked like a 2x4 or something. The local cops asked if he had any enemies because that's definitely intentional damage and not an accident.
He's pretty bummed out about it and said he probably won't offer that service anymore.

Considering it's Bartlein, the intersection of grossly disgruntled customer and present at Perry on a Thursday night or early AM Friday should be a very short list. Likewise if a bitter former employee or competitor.

That really sucks and it's concerning to have someone that unhinged in such an environment.

Considering it's Bartlein, the intersection of grossly disgruntled customer and present at Perry should be a very short list. Likewise if a bitter former employee or competitor.

That really sucks and it's concerning to have someone that unhinged in such an environment.
I'm surprised nobody heard or saw something while it was happening. Its not like there isn't a lot of people staying right there. My gut tells me barrel competitor.

Commercial Row kinda sucked, but I did get custom ear plugs made. Used them at the team match today, took some getting used to but I like them.

Skipping PM Games match today and probably AM tomorrow. Ended up shooting every day this week: P100, Leg, Doubles, Team and Rattle Battle. Did not expect to shoot the Team Match or Rattle Battle, so a little worn out.
I’m skipping my attendance all together...I’m still just not feeling it. I was full steam ahead spring of last year, but this year I don’t even care about shooting in competition for no reason I can put my finger on.

If you know anyone that needs a barracks room tonight/tomorrow/Sunday night, I prepaid for mine and they can have it.

Good on you for going and shooting every day!!! How’d you end up doing? Did the gf enjoy it?

I’m skipping my attendance all together...I’m still just not feeling it. I was full steam ahead spring of last year, but this year I don’t even care about shooting in competition for no reason I can put my finger on.

If you know anyone that needs a barracks room tonight/tomorrow/Sunday night, I prepaid for mine and they can have it.

Good on you for going and shooting every day!!! How’d you end up doing? Did the gf enjoy it?
It happens. P100 and Leg "OK".

Ended up dropping my rifle off of the cart after shooting 600 on Tuesday, so I knew my zeros would be off. So for the Doubles match on Weds, I had to get my zeros back, and we start standing. I determined I was 1.25moa down and 2.00moa to the left so I applied that at 300 rapid....and had to make a few more adjustments. Fortunately, I could see my first 2 shots in rapids. By 6, I was OK. Shot the teams match the next day, Thursday, re-zero'd with a 484 for my individual score - why couldn't I have done that at the Leg match !!

The rattle battle was just plain awesome, and I think our team did alright.

She shot P100, Leg and Doubles and did really good... Scored for team match and spotted at rattle battle. Needless to say we are wiped out.

Damn DW, that's a lot of shooting!

76, hear ya on that. It's a lot of time and effort if you're not feeling it.

I checked in this afternoon. No wait for registration nor inspection. Bula almost got bounced to Unlimited.

Got my money's worth today. With that self built Bula M14 shot 100-5X slow prone, 98 wappid, then not my best offhand for 278-5. Bronze, 1 point short of silver. OCSA is indeed good training. OCSA guru not wrong about how quickly the pits run. Yeah it's 2 people and we are not scoring but target frames don't really even stop at the bottom, just change direction while you mark shot, repair previous hole, and mark score.

Multiple cease fires for bald eagles and boaters. No berm, shots go into Lake Erie. LOL they don't stop for geese but somehow no winged rats were hit.

Garand match tomorrow AM then done.

Oh, getting warm in the afternoon. Somebody in the pits with me got heat exhaustion.

Also got drenched by a passing storm. All my shit had been covered until time to shoot and score, so that's when it blew in.

Last edited:
Boat in the impact area!!!

Speaking of which, someone told us that if you go out on the pier during rattle battle, you can see the bullets hitting the water.

I had some time between relays and we did just that - super cool to see.

Boat in the impact area!!!

Speaking of which, someone told us that if you go out on the pier during rattle battle, you can see the bullets hitting the water.

I had some time between relays and we did just that - super cool to see.
That's pretty cool- will try to see that next time. On the road back, stopping at Anchor Bar in Buffalo.

Back
Top Bottom