• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any suggestions on making a Mac-11 Cobray into a semi-serviceable weapon?

So no actual suggestions, other than false suppressor, on how to improve? ☹️
The responses where suggestions on how to improve your situation and gun collection, which is not necessarily the same as instructions on how to improve the gun.

There is a training film on this subject:

I’m a little confused by your description of the front grip, when you say right angle, you don’t mean to the upper right? I’m just trying to save your dog since you can’t have a vertical fore grip on a pistol.

I think this is the kind of side grip he meant:

Looks like you'll never like the gun no matter what you do to it. It'll cost you $200 plus parts to make it into a SBR. So just sell it for what you can get for it and buy something that you do like. Jack.
I think that's the way to go unless I can turn it into a carbine. Which no one has said I can, bit there has to be a way. Maybe too expensive though, again.

Definitely one of my dumber purchases, but I once spent $5,000 on two MRI'S for a thirteen year old Bassett hound that I hated that belonged to my future wife (now ex-wife) so...

I think that's the way to go unless I can turn it into a carbine. Which no one has said I can, bit there has to be a way. Maybe too expensive though, again.

Definitely one of my dumber purchases, but I once spent $5,000 on two MRI'S for a thirteen year old Bassett hound that I hated that belonged to my future wife (now ex-wife) so...
How do you hate a dog? Lol

If you sell it for $1500, that will go a long way towards a 9x19 AR based carbine that is far nicer (accuracy, comfort, reliability) that anything you can ever turn the Mac-11 into.

If you already have an AR, you can get a 9x19 Rock River conversion block or similar; get cheap pre-ban Uzi mags (you just have to cut a new mag catch slot), and a decent 9x19 upper and you will have a decent quality, accurate and reliable weapon that suffers none of the limitations you cite. I recommend the JP upper.

The more popular approach now is dedicated lowers that take Glock mags which would be my approach is a free state, however, the mag block is removable with no damage to the lower allowing a "switch upper" approach so you can use one of the existing ARs in your ordnance locker.

And good move on the dog. Never regret doing the right thing.

How do you hate a dog? Lol
I love most dogs, but old Bassett Hounds are not particularly lovable. Have you known one?

My sister also once had a chow chow when we were kids that I didn't hate, bit something was wrong with it and it attacked everyone in the house eventually l, besides my sister, before my parents put it down. Chows are prone to bonding to one person, and that's it, I am told. Thing attacked me without warning on the way to the fridge one night. Bit thru my fingertips and nails on one hand with it's powerful jaws. When I put my other hand down to grab it, it bit thru those fingers too. Didn't bark, didn't growl, just attacked.

If you sell it for $1500, that will go a long way towards a 9x19 AR based carbine that is far nicer (accuracy, comfort, reliability) that anything you can ever turn the Mac-11 into.

If you already have an AR, you can get a 9x19 Rock River conversion block or similar; get cheap pre-ban Uzi mags (you just have to cut a new mag catch slot), and a decent 9x19 upper and you will have a decent quality, accurate and reliable weapon that suffers none of the limitations you cite. I recommend the JP upper.

The more popular approach now is dedicated lowers that take Glock mags which would be my approach is a free state, however, the mag block is removable with no damage to the lower allowing a "switch upper" approach so you can use one of the existing ARs in your ordnance locker.

I understood some of that.

I love most dogs, but old Bassett Hounds are not particularly lovable. Have you known one?

My sister also once had a chow chow when we were kids that I didn't hate, bit something was wrong with it and it attacked everyone in the house eventually l, besides my sister, before my parents put it down. Chows are prone to bonding to one person, and that's it, I am told. Thing attacked me without warning on the way to the fridge one night. Bit thru my fingertips and nails on one hand with it's powerful jaws. When I put my other hand down to grab it, it bit thru those fingers too. Didn't bark, didn't growl, just attacked.
Dogs don't attack for no reason but I get what you are saying. You could have looked like a bad guy from years before.

Yes I have known old Bassett hounds

Dogs don't attack for no reason but I get what you are saying. You could have looked like a bad guy from years before.

Yes I have known old Bassett hounds
Well I guess the reason was that I went to the refrigerator that was located in the room where she slept. Six month old female. Very strange. But we subsequently found out that Chows do not make a good family pet.

I sold one on here a few years back, Lage manufacturing makes a nice upper and adding a stock makes it functional. You would do better to get an MPX/Scorpion at what you have in it already.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220103-224230_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220103-224230_Gallery.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 19

If I could sell it for $1,200 I would!

And it was my parents that had it put down, after bringing in an animal behaviorist. He told us that if we didn't we would be building a new wing at the local hospital, because it was so unusual for such a young dog to attack unprovoked.

In my not so humble opinion your options are:
1) Sell it for whatever you can get
2) Convert it to a carbine/rifle. This can be accomplished by either getting the barrel length over 16 inches and adding a stock, or paying the ATF $200 and making it an Sbr.

I know you don’t want to spend more money chasing a bad decision but perhaps adding a grip like this will make it more comfortable to shoot:
Lage Manufacturing
D9561544-F92C-4E05-A2A1-324AB4B85587.jpeg

I sold one on here a few years back, Lage manufacturing makes a nice upper and adding a stock makes it functional. You would do better to get an MPX/Scorpion at what you have in it already.
I saw Lage mentioned in another thread earlier today, which prompted this thread. Their website wasn't super user friendly, but it looked like all of their uppers we're meant for full-auto versions. I was very confused, so I started this thread.

Thank you! I will log in tomorrow on a laptop (it sucked on a phone) and revisit Lage's website. Any idea what that configuration would cost me?

In my not so humble opinion your options are:
1) Sell it for whatever you can get
2) Convert it to a carbine/rifle. This can be accomplished by either getting the barrel length over 16 inches and adding a stock, or paying the ATF $200 and making it an Sbr.

I know you don’t want to spend more money chasing a bad decision but perhaps adding a grip like this will make it more comfortable to shoot:
Lage Manufacturing
View attachment 560022
Does a barrel extender/false suppressor count for barrel length?
Thank you!

There's an old expression: "don't throw good money after bad".

I wouldn't put another nickle into that thing. As others have said, wait until the next panic-buying spree comes around and unload it.
I'd use that as trade bait to some dumb kid who was unloading his grandads collection.

No offense. I think we've all bought or overpaid for a gun we thought was the coolest thing in the world, only to realize two weeks later "wow, this thing is a piece of shit".

So I just add a stock?
You wanted to turn it into a carbine, so yes. It’s still going to suck though, the MAC semi autos are just not great, that gun was indented to be full auto. Putting a Lage upper on a semi auto is a waste of money but it’s your money. I would sell it and be done with it, it will fetch more than you think.

Here is my Lage MAX-11s setup. My gun was originally a carbine anyways. Used the Stormwerk stock adapter that will accommodate Sig stocks and Picatinny type mounted stocks. I would recommend getting the trigger upgrade as well from Lage. I still have to do that to reduce trigger slap. Just checked their website and it doesn't seem they have the carbine upper in stock. It has the faux suppressor that is just a sleeve that covers the barrel. Shockingly accurate. Email them as they do runs of these uppers and get on the list:

20201003_201037.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my Lage MAX-11s setup. My gun was originally a carbine anyways. Used the Stormwerk stock adapter that will accommodate Sig stocks and Picatinny type mounted stocks. I would recommend getting the trigger upgrade as well from Lage. I still have to do that to reduce trigger slap. Just checked their website and it doesn't seem they have the carbine upper in stock. It has the faux suppressor that is just a sleeve that covers the barrel. Shockingly accurate. Email them as they do runs of these uppers and get on the list:
IIRC you can get a 223 upper at Lage and have dual caliber. Big coin however

Back
Top Bottom