• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any Smallbore shooters?

PatMcD

NES Member
I decided I needed get off my can and practice for this upcoming HP season. I started shooting in a local "Geezer" Match. Rimfire, 50ft, A36 target. The "Geezer" part is that it is prone and offhand only; no sitting. 30 shots for record, unlimited sighters.
Most all the other guys shoot scopes, but I don't have one that will focus down that close, so I just shoot the irons on my Anschutz 1413.
You probably think; 50ft, indoors, no wind, a .22, what's the big deal? I'll tell you what; it's not as easy as it sounds! Prone is no big problem, but offhand is another matter. I'm used to the fact that if you put it in the black, the worst you got was a 9. With these targets the 10-ring is what, maybe .2"! The 5-ring is a short 3/4" or so away.
I took up this sport as a practice for Highpower. Now I need to practice for my practice! When does it end?

PatMcD said:
...I took up this sport as a practice for Highpower. Now I need to practice for my practice! When does it end?

That's the great part! It doesn't.

Basement rimfire in winter in prep for Action Plate this spring;

Action Plate this spring in prep for IDPA this summer.

More action plate and IDPA in fall to prepare for Basement rimfire in winter.

Rifle load development in summer in prep for hunting season & the early fall "running deer" shoots.

Now, what happens if I want to add service rifle shoots, or a primitive biathalon next year? Thank G_d I don't shoot trap or skeet (yet).

Was this the match that was shot last weekend? I'm hoping to make up to the one on the 19th. Have to see what's going on here first.

Pat,
The madness never ends........Gallery rifle is hard work, and like you said, you can't blame the wind or changing light conditions. Practice is practice. Just thinkof that .2 "X ring" at 50 ft. as an X at 200 yds.
If I had the money, I'd have a Leupold EFR for the 50 ft. stuff, too.

I just got in from our friday night smallbore league. I shot like total crap tonight. We shoot the A-17 target, 10 rnds. prone 20 offhand. Like you say prone is no big deal but man I threw way too many offhand today. Just found it hard to get settled in. There's always next week.

Yeah Pat... That A-36 target is tough. You know you're on when you can hit a ten ring or should I say ten dot thats literaly this big ( . )

At the moment I'm shooting my Anschutz 1411 that I've had for over 30 years. It still shoots better than I can. But I just picked up a bit newer thumbhole stock Anschutz and am going to start shooting it next week.

cdkayak said:
Was this the match that was shot last weekend? I'm hoping to make up to the one on the 19th. Have to see what's going on here first.

Chris, this isn't the match up in Augusta. That is a 4-position match (which I want to try sometime, too). This is a team league tournament between Bath, Cumberland, Poland, Auburn, and Bridgton (and any other town that can put together a team of 5). I guess years ago, almost every town had a team. Bath had three!

Jarhead said:
We shoot the A-17 target, 10 rnds. prone 20 offhand. Like you say prone is no big deal but man I threw way too many offhand today. Just found it hard to get settled in. There's always next week.

At the moment I'm shooting my Anschutz 1411 that I've had for over 30 years. It still shoots better than I can. But I just picked up a bit newer thumbhole stock Anschutz and am going to start shooting it next week.

Same stages here; 10 prone and 20 offhand.

Your rifle progression sounds just like me, too. I had a 1411 (1966-vintage). It shot great, but the stock is meant for prone and I couldn't get a good fit in other positions. I picked up a nice 1413 a while back (1972-vintage). It fits me much better. Both shoot WAY better than I. [oops]

I know this will date me real bad as I remember when the current 5 teams mentioned above of the Alden Gayton League had 12-15 teams in it. There were teams at one time or another in Greene, Auburn, Auburn Alden Gayton, Lewiston's Circle Canadian's, Bath, Hyde Windlass, Brunswick, Buckfield, Turner, Tri City(Augusta), Hallowell, Rumford, Poland, Fairfield, Oakland, Madison and I have probably forgotten some. There was also a Southern Maine League, with teams in Cumberland and York County.

Those were the days when guns were respected as tools and the guys returning from WWII had an interest in continuing some shooting competition. I am now 73 years old but still shoot at Cumberland Rifle. It is much more difficult now than it used to be but it is still fun. I started in my late teens and later while living in Agawam, Mass shot with the Enfield Rifle Club in two Connecticut Rifle Leagues.

Wow, all this brings back memories. The Alden Gayton League always had a spring banquet where the team trophies and individual honors were given out. It was a great time.

Back
Top Bottom