• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any RI folks out there? a heads up

Just reading that article has me pissed.

•No guns in K-12 schools: "The vast majority of states (39 plus Washington, DC) do not allow firearms on school grounds. Rhode Island is one of the few states that allows non-law enforcement concealed-carry permit holders to carry guns on school grounds. This law should be changed." (HB5861, S0743)

When was the last time a permit holder accidentally shot a student while carrying on school grounds?

If someone were going to intentionally shoot students, obviously this law would make no difference.

•No Guns for those convicted of domestic-violence misdemeanors: "Domestic violence assaults involving a gun are 12 [times] more likely to result in death than non-firearm associated assaults. Abused women are 5 [times] more likely to be killed by their abuser if their abuser has access to a firearm." (HB5872, S0520)

This is a red herring. If you did anything actually violent, you'd be charged with a felony. There's a reason misdemeanors and felonies exist, one is much more serious than the other.

Would love the source of those stats and research methodology also.

•A 10-round magazine maximum: "Larger magazines increase a gun’s firepower, enabling more shots before reloading and therefore are more lethal. CT, MA, MD, NY, and Washington DC have all limited high capacity magazines to 10 rounds; NJ limits magazines to 15 rounds, yet RI has no limit. In RI, hunters are limited to 5 rounds for deer hunting and 3 rounds for duck hunting."

I wonder which one of these *******s thinks they can get across a room to tackle me faster than i can reload a pistol?

Virginia tech anyone? The most "successful" mass shooting done primarily with 10rd mags.

Deer and duck hunting? Seriously?

•No Guns for those convicted of domestic-violence misdemeanors: "Domestic violence assaults involving a gun are 12 [times] more likely to result in death than non-firearm associated assaults. Abused women are 5 [times] more likely to be killed by their abuser if their abuser has access to a firearm." (HB5872, S0520)

This is a red herring. If you did anything actually violent, you'd be charged with a felony. There's a reason misdemeanors and felonies exist, one is much more serious than the other.

If you're convicted of *any* domestic violence crime, you're already a federally prohibited person. https://gunowners.org/fs9714.htm The Lautenberg amendment was written by Senator Lautenberg of NJ, a Jewish man who apparently thought that gun control was fine after Hitler used it to help wipe out millions of Jews. He joined the ranks of other fine New Jersey representatives like congressman Hughes, the scumbag we can thank for being prohibited from purchasing new FA firearms.

Phew...sorry for going off topic there...I get bent out of shape everytime I have to look up the legislation these slimeballs have pushed through.

Best of luck in keeping RI freer than MA and CT. I feel for you guys.

In a state where laws regarding 'shall issue' CCW (town) permits are largely ignored by the CoP I not surprised to see this come up. I believe the mag limits were shot down last year as well. Same agenda, different year.

Now if only the RI legislature could pull their heads out of their asses and work on getting the RI economy out of the toilet instead of dealing with this useless legislation...

Where can you find the status of these proposed bills? I thought there was a site but cant remember. Thanks

You can see the current status and history of any bill here:

http://status.rilin.state.ri.us/

You will need to enter the bill number (just the number, not the preceeding "H" or "S").

You can get the 2A related bill numbers here or here.

The bill to ban CCWs on school grounds is dead, at least for this session.

Not 100% set in stone, the bill was "held for further study"

- - - Updated - - -

Just reading that article has me pissed.

•No guns in K-12 schools: "The vast majority of states (39 plus Washington, DC) do not allow firearms on school grounds. Rhode Island is one of the few states that allows non-law enforcement concealed-carry permit holders to carry guns on school grounds. This law should be changed." (HB5861, S0743)

When was the last time a permit holder accidentally shot a student while carrying on school grounds?

If someone were going to intentionally shoot students, obviously this law would make no difference.

Would love the source of those stats and research methodology also.

•A 10-round magazine maximum: "Larger magazines increase a gun’s firepower, enabling more shots before reloading and therefore are more lethal. CT, MA, MD, NY, and Washington DC have all limited high capacity magazines to 10 rounds; NJ limits magazines to 15 rounds, yet RI has no limit. In RI, hunters are limited to 5 rounds for deer hunting and 3 rounds for duck hunting."

I wonder which one of these *******s thinks they can get across a room to tackle me faster than i can reload a pistol?

Virginia tech anyone? The most "successful" mass shooting done primarily with 10rd mags.

Deer and duck hunting? Seriously?

Kathring Gregg of the ProJo posted their press release and I called her hour for not fact checking first (MA 10 round limit). She then called out RICAGV for mis-representing facts.

Not 100% set in stone, the bill was "held for further study"

- - - Updated - - -

Kathring Gregg of the ProJo posted their press release and I called her hour for not fact checking first (MA 10 round limit). She then called out RICAGV for mis-representing facts.

Held for further study = dead, at least for this session. They wont revisit and pass this bill.

Antis misrepresenting facts? That never happens lol.

Thanks for the support!

I was there testifying (I was handing out the yellow buttons), it actually became comical as people were testifying (in support of 5861) that this bill would arm teachers and they would become dangerous. It got to the point where the chair told people to read the bill, stick to the points, and be prudent and considerate of the lengthy testimony. The one annoying thing was the room was tiny and there wasn't much space to sit in, that and 23 copies of written testimony were required (double what was normal).

Reading H6074 (the mag capacity bill), sec 3, would I be wrong to interpret that this bill would change the definition of "firearm" in the state to include air rifles & bbguns, and a 17 round bb magazine would be subject to the same penalty as a 17 round glock mag? Also would something like a blowgun or slingshot now be considered a firearm since it propels a metal projectile and is not specifically exempted?

(3) "Firearm" includes any machine gun, pistol, rifle, air rifle, air pistol, "blank gun," 17 "BB gun," or other instrument from which steel or metal projectiles are propelled, or which may readily be converted to expel a projectile, except crossbows, recurve, compound, or longbows, and except instruments propelling projectiles which are designed or normally used for a primary purpose other than as a weapon.

Last edited:
Reading H7064 (the mag capacity bill), sec 3, would I be wrong to interpret that this bill would change the definition of "firearm" in the state to include air rifles & bbguns, and a 17 round bb magazine would be subject to the same penalty as a 17 round glock mag? Also would something like a blowgun or slingshot now be considered a firearm since it propels a metal projectile and is not specifically exempted?

(3) "Firearm" includes any machine gun, pistol, rifle, air rifle, air pistol, "blank gun," 17 "BB gun," or other instrument from which steel or metal projectiles are propelled, or which may readily be converted to expel a projectile, except crossbows, recurve, compound, or longbows, and except instruments propelling projectiles which are designed or normally used for a primary purpose other than as a weapon.
This bill is 6074, not 7074.
I just saw this bill, first of all there is no historical evidence that this bill would reduce overall crime. The state must prove that this bill is would impact public safety, once they associate taking private property for public use (by improving public safety), then this bill clearly questions the "taking clause" of the fifth amendment: "private property [shall not] be taken for public use, without just compensation."

The ridiculousness of this state and this bill:
A paintball gun is considered a firearm in the state, and I wonder how many rounds the hopper holds....
And according to Boris, bottles would become high capacity magazines.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom