• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any requirement to buying ammo at a NH gun shop or walmart?

I have bought ammo at Shooters Outpost regularly for the last 4 years. I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have not been asked for ID. Actually I can count on 1 finger the number of times I have not been asked for ID. Never once have I been asked at Rileys. I get that it's SOs store policy and don't really care. It's not worth me getting worked up over it and I choose to still go there.

The issue in my mind is not so much asking for ID. It's a federal law that you have to be a minimum age to buy ammo, so I can see the shop protecting themselves in that way.

What really sucks is them requiring a Mass LTC for MA residents to buy ammo IN NEW HAMPSHIRE. Mass law does not apply, there is no law against it in NH, and there is no federal law preventing a non-LTC holder from buying ammo in NH.

I think most Mass guys here on the forum don't give a shit, since they already have LTCs, and are used to showing them when they buy ammo. But it really sucks for a non-LTC holder who might want to pick up some ammo to go hunting with a friend in NH for example (which is perfectly legal).

But I will concede that it's his shop, and his rules. As much as they suck the freedom out of being in NH.

Once you are away from the border (and other than SO), you are merely asked "cash or charge".

Bought 9mm in WM-Amherst NH a few days ago and the help couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. Store manager called clerk with the key and I let someone juggling lots of fishing bait check out before me so the manager came back and took the key and got me the ammo, then the clerk says "I have more if you want it" so I got some more that wasn't in the large case. Didn't ask pistol/rifle or age, just rang them all up. Also was helpful about bug spray for clothing that I couldn't find elsewhere (except HD had it for 2x the WM price). I've never had that level of (pleasant and helpful) experience in Hudson NH or the few MA stores I've been in.

The SO rule is simply a CYA based on their volume and location close to border. They don't want either some criminal or liberal shill coming in to buy ammo and taking it back to Mass and creating a PR issue. If you're from MA and don't like SO's policy, here's my recommendations:

1) Change the retarded laws in your state
2) Stop buying things in NH
3) Move to NH

If I ran a gun shop a short distance from MA, I'd require an LTC to sell you anything too. Mostly because I don't want MA law enforcement/DAs harassing me, nor do I want to create a situation that f*cks it up for everyone else in my state.

State Line Gun Shop in Mason was rude about requesting ID, I haven't been back, Riley's is just as close and cash is king.
Ah yes, the place which claims that "guns are just like cars, if you do a transfer, you pay sales tax at the dealer receiving the transfer".
How does that work? Gun stores in NH have no mechanism for charging sales tax...

How does that work? Gun stores in NH have no mechanism for charging sales tax...

Their MA dealer charges the tax when you inbound a handgun into MA. Many years ago people bitched about this and for awhile they reversed the policy and then their accountant or whatever said they had to do it because they had an MA business nexus. It's a bunch of garbage but that's how they do business.

-Mike

The SO rule is simply a CYA based on their volume and location close to border. They don't want either some criminal or liberal shill coming in to buy ammo and taking it back to Mass and creating a PR issue. If you're from MA and don't like SO's policy, here's my recommendations:

1) Change the retarded laws in your state
2) Stop buying things in NH
3) Move to NH

If I ran a gun shop a short distance from MA, I'd require an LTC to sell you anything too. Mostly because I don't want MA law enforcement/DAs harassing me, nor do I want to create a situation that f*cks it up for everyone else in my state.

Uhhh....

4. Buy at some other NH store rather than SO?

Since SO doesn't speak for all NH gun stores, I'm not sure why we'd chase people out of the state just because SO is being a dick.

Not sure I consider protecting your livelihood from the monster that is government as "being a dick".

Telling people it's the law, not just a store policy, is being a dick.

Also, it's interesting to note many other gun stores don't seem to feel the need to protect themselves "from the monster that is government."

Back
Top Bottom