• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any requirement to buying ammo at a NH gun shop or walmart?

mtsfitness

NES Member
Wondering what the requirements are in buying ammo or Ma legal accessories in NH?

Thanks

Last edited:
As FreeWille said "Requirements: cash/credit card" HOWEVER I would add one additional thing.......

Some shops have shop policies that they won't sell high capacity magazines to Mass residents because they know they are illegal in Mass (their shop, their rules)

My suggestion is that if you are from Mass or Conn or NY, don't shoot off your mouth and say " gee I'm from XXX state and we can't even get or buy these magazines there".

Keep your mouth shut, make your purchase and leave!

Why??? Well if you announce you are from a banned state and want to buy a banned item, the shop owner may think your some sort of plant from an anti gun group, or some reporter testing out to see how easy it is to buy banned stuff out of state. (Beside which of what benefit is that information useful to the gun shop owner or in the purchase of the item?)

Bottom line be careful, don't share useless information , enjoy your purchase.... and day dream of what gun life could be like living in a free state !

Last edited:
Wondering what the requirements are in buying ammo or Ma legal accessories in NH?

Thanks

Each store tends to be a little different. Some ask for DL. Some ask for nothing. Some ask for MA LTC if you produce a MA DL.

If I remember correctly, there's no statute prohibiting anybody from buying ammo or MA legal accessories. Only laws that are followed are Fed (e.g. no handgun ammo sales to those under 21 and no rifle ammo sales to those under 18.)

Shooters Outpost, Rileys and Bass Pro. Sometimes I am asked for ID. If you have a MA DL they will need to see your LTC/FID. Most times they don't ask for anything unless you look real young.

every walmart i've been in has asked for LTC upon seeing im a m*******. shooters outpost asks for my LTC. the only requirements are those implemented by the individual establishments. as far as the state is concerned, i think it's just 18+. but dont quote me on that.

every walmart i've been in has asked for LTC upon seeing im a m*******.

In NH it varies dramatically from store to store and even between clerks you get in the same store! One walmart I went to just wanted to make sure I was 21+ (cause I was buying "handgun ammo"). Another one wanted to see my MA LTC/FID or NH drivers license. Another one I went to recently, I was not carded at all, guy just smashed buttons on the register to ring up the sale and that was basically it.

-Mike

Stores requiring ID: SLGS,SO, MFLR & sometimes Walmart

Back when Walmart wasn't perpetually sold out of ammo, I was never carded buying ammo at any NH Walmart. The register would flash up 18+ or 21+? and just as quickly the cashier would clear it.

State Line Gun Shop in Mason
was rude about requesting ID, I haven't been back, Riley's is just as close and cash is king.

Went into the walmart in Epping off 125, Got carded showed my NH Nonresident and was told He need to see my Mass LTC
Showed my LTC and walked out leaving the ammo on the counter after he rang it up.

Carding

I buy there often. Never been carded

Before I moved to NH, I was carded all 4 stops at Shooter's (MA LTC was OK). Never carded at Riley's.

I saw a reply to a negative review of SO re: ammo. The owner stated that ID checks were state law and he didn't want to be closed. I've been searching online for about 25 mins and I cannot find this NH law.

If he said that it was store policy, hey, that's his business. I wouldn't be happy about BS though.

Went into the walmart in Epping off 125, Got carded showed my NH Nonresident and was told He need to see my Mass LTC
Showed my LTC and walked out leaving the ammo on the counter after he rang it up.

Nh non-res doesn't mean crap to buy, only to cc. IMHO

Anybody tried showing a passport to prove date of birth when ID'd for ammo?

I've been searching online for about 25 mins and I cannot find this NH law.
Here's the totality of New Hampshire state and local regulations on the purchase of ammunition:

Last edited:
No, they will sell to out of state, but require ID and if from Mass require LTC. Been that way since they opened, and it was policy at MFLR as well (owned by same guy).

hmm, I don't require being asked that a few years ago while traveling through NH and stopped there for ammo.

Back
Top Bottom