Any recommendations for making AR-15 Mass compliant?

Hey guys,

I'm getting my upper tomorrow. Can anyone suggest a gunsmith that could make my upper mass compliant? I called a few people both the majority have told me it would take 3~4+ weeks!

I called them a week ago, they said it would take 3~4 weeks. I'm not sure what is involved, this is my first time doing this, but that seems like a long time, no?

My guess is that it is likely because of his current work load not because of the length of time the actual work will take. I had Lou pin/weld two of my uppers and he did a great job at a very fair price.

I called them a week ago, they said it would take 3~4 weeks. I'm not sure what is involved, this is my first time doing this, but that seems like a long time, no?

Depends how busy the shop is. Had someone that said it would take 3 weeks, found someone who said 3 days and did it in 2.

My guess is that it is likely because of his current work load not because of the length of time the actual work will take. I had Lou pin/weld two of my uppers and he did a great job at a very fair price.
That might be it, I've heard good things about it. Four seasons recommended him a while back. I've just been itching to fire my ar-15 and potentially 1 month seems like a really long time. I guess I'll just have to wait that long though.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends how busy the shop is. Had someone that said it would take 3 weeks, found someone who said 3 days and did it in 2.
Who did you use? Could you PM me his contact info? How was the quality of the job?

I think the new shop in Peabody on rt 1 does it while you wait. They were talking about it in another thread recently.

1776 in walpole.
they do excellent work thats where i take all my toys.

- - - Updated - - -

just curious, what has to be done to make it compliant?

usually swap flash hider for a comp/brake and pin it.
the 2 evil features that remain are pistol grip + folding/collapsible stock

1776 in walpole.

- - - Updated - - -

You also have to cut off the bayonet lug. If you don't, Martha says that makes the boolits extra killy.

Northeast Arms in Peabody lists pinning and welding of a muzzle device at $40 on their website.

As far as the Bayo lug, use a cut-off wheel on a dremel, file it down and finish it up with some Birchwood Casey Perma Blue. Also keep a handkerchief nearby to soak up your tears as you neuter your brand new upper.

1776 in walpole.

- - - Updated - - -

That isn't correct. The two evil features would be a pistol grip and detachable mag. Folding/Collapse stock is a no-go unless you have some form of bastardized stock or a fixed mag.

That isn't correct. The two evil features would be a pistol grip and detachable mag. Folding/Collapse stock is a no-go unless you have some form of bastardized stock or a fixed mag.

right. Thx for correction.

Nope. Wrong. You are allowed 1 feature, being semi auto and having a detatchable mag are pre-requisites. The mag becomes a feature on shotguns.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Nope. Wrong. You are allowed 1 feature, being semi auto and having a detatchable mag are pre-requisites. The mag becomes a feature on shotguns.

Mike

This right here. On a rifle, if there is no capability to accept a detachable mag, or if the gun is not semi-auto, then none of the other features matter at all as it cannot be an Assault Weapon. If it is semi-auto and can accept a detachable mag, then if it has TWO OR MORE of the listed features then it becomes an AW.

a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon ;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

I had a comp pinned at SL Gun Shop in NH, did it in about 20 minutes while I waited.

Mike

My bad...I guess I should have clicked on the link I provided [wink]

One thing ive always wondered is since my mini14 has no AW features, can I mount a grenade launcher and still have it legal? It would only be 1 feature hahahaha.

this would never happen but man would it be glorious

One thing ive always wondered is since my mini14 has no AW features, can I mount a grenade launcher and still have it legal? It would only be 1 feature hahahaha.

this would never happen but man would it be glorious

Yup. Of course, the grenade launcher itself would be a Destructive Device, with all the NFA fun that goes along with that.

Yup. Of course, the grenade launcher itself would be a Destructive Device, with all the NFA fun that goes along with that.

No its not. Its legal in MA as long as you don't shoot grenades out of it or intentionally shoot non-grenades at people. Not even an FID is required since its considered a 'flare launcher'. So stick with non-grenades and you're all good.

Just sold mine on here last year for $300 in fact.

No its not. Its legal in MA as long as you don't shoot grenades out of it or intentionally shoot non-grenades at people. Not even an FID is required since its considered a 'flare launcher'. So stick with non-grenades and you're all good.

I was referring to actual 40mm grenade launchers, not 37mm flare launchers.

i can only imagine an HE grenade launcher connected to my mosin nagant. priceless.
however i enjoy my career and life too much to end up in some prison because big brother Massachusetts doesn't like my HE grenade joke.

the flare launcher would make for a rather interesting range session.

just curious, what has to be done to make it compliant?

Depends on the upper but most often the bayonet lug has to be ground down and the flash hider that is probably on it has to be replaced with a muzzle brake.

1776 Gunsmiths just did some nice work for me but I don't think that they are taking on more work due to their current backlog.

Yes. Additionally, if you actually wanted to get an HE grenade, that would also be a separate registered DD.

wow, I'm kinda surprised that one is and one isn't a DD. Must be because the 40mm was made specifically as a grenade launcher while the 37mm is a flare launcher that can shoot a grenade.

Back
Top Bottom