• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any recent SBS stamps? < 1 year??

While we all know how the law is written that says in MA you can have factory made SBS's, that's not necessarily the case. I heard that about a year ago the AG said to the ATF that SBS's were a no go, but I just wanted to confirm/reject this. Has anyone had an SBS approved recently? If so, I'm going to attempt purchase the Remington 870 MCS kit. There is also question as to whether this transfers as an AOW or SBS, but I'll go down that road when/if the time comes. For now, I just want to know about SBS, as the information will be valuable if I decide not to do the 870 MCS.

Also, please, if you're going to reply, have some knowledge of NFA. Also please don't put in a reply of "We deal with NFA all the time, we're a class III dealer, give us a call, yadda yadda yadda"(Remsport, this means you too, you're notorious for this in informational threads, and not just in the NFA forum). I have my dealer I'll purchase this through if I want to pursue it, thanks.

I also saw this:

Yes. I know of at least 1 factory sbs approval for an NFA trust approved in the last 6-9 months. The referenced discussion was resolved, as reported later in the post.

Which is comforting, but just one isn't all THAT comforting. This was dated November 2010.

I don't know of any reason why SBS stamps would be denied. If you have a Form submitted and it gets bounced, give me a call.

I don't know of any reason why SBS stamps would be denied. If you have a Form submitted and it gets bounced, give me a call.

Thanks Joe, I know there was some question not long ago about the whole "factory made" deal. I'm assuming that factory made is still the law. I.E. my wish of owning an 8" Tromix'd Saiga are out.

My google fu is weak and I was looking for a bit of clarification. Are only "factory" made SBS ok in mass?? So, Rem, Moss, Benelli OK. And Serbu, Scattergun tech and tromix no?

And also, does the SBS have to remain 100% factory or can it ever be altered (without running into an illegal sawed off) in mass?

My google fu is weak and I was looking for a bit of clarification. Are only "factory" made SBS ok in mass?? So, Rem, Moss, Benelli OK. And Serbu, Scattergun tech and tromix no?

And also, does the SBS have to remain 100% factory or can it ever be altered (without running into an illegal sawed off) in mass?

Great questions. Questions that I don't think can be answered till someone gets charged unfortunately. The law is vague at best. What I gather is that you MUST purchase factory, so that means no serbu, scattergun, or Tromix. As for altering it, I can't imagine once you have the stamp it could magically turn into a sawed off.

Great questions. Questions that I don't think can be answered till someone gets charged unfortunately. The law is vague at best. What I gather is that you MUST purchase factory, so that means no serbu, scattergun, or Tromix. As for altering it, I can't imagine once you have the stamp it could magically turn into a sawed off.

I have an ithaca stakeout. 12g AOW. I have been told on numerous occasions by RKIs that altering it in any way would make it an illegal sawed off. If this is not correct, I'd love to make this into a super shorty..

I have an ithaca stakeout. 12g AOW. I have been told on numerous occasions by RKIs that altering it in any way would make it an illegal sawed off. If this is not correct, I'd love to make this into a super shorty..

You ask one agency you get one answer. Ask another it's different. Ask another it's totally opposite. No one seems to know or understand.

Federally, there would be no issue. I believe this is purely a state thing

Yeah, you would think that, but if BATFE thinks that an SBS isn't legal in MA., they will "bounce" the application at a drop of a hat. If Joe seems to think it is OK, then IMO, it is. [grin]

-Mike

Yeah, you would think that, but if BATFE thinks that an SBS isn't legal in MA., they will "bounce" the application at a drop of a hat. If Joe seems to think it is OK, then IMO, it is. [grin]

-Mike

This is actually a different question. Can an already in mass registered sbs or AOW be modified from the "factory" config w/o running into the Mass issue of it now being a "sawed off shotgun".

Back
Top Bottom